User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How To Obtain Own Authority...

I did not search the board for this information, however I would like more information on how to obtain my own authority. Is it worth the effort to go this route, and how difficult to obtain your own authority? Thanks for your imput on this issue!

Neckster
Be Safe
Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It isn't difficult at all, if you have the money. Getting authority is easy. Making a profit could be a different story. Whether it is worth the effort depend on the individual. Unless you have driven a truck for a few years and have a good nest egg, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you take such a big step all at one time. There are some questions you may want to answer. How much experience do you have? Why do you want to get your authority? How much cash do you have? Have you ever owned a truck before? Do you plan on driving the truck yourself? Do you have any contacts? Have you checked on insurance? If you run your own authority you will also need to buy a trailer. What type of freight do you plan on pulling?

We have discussed this quite a bit. You may want to do a search. If you have specific questions, fire away.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: How To Obtain Own Authority...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckster
I did not search the board for this information, however I would like more information on how to obtain my own authority. Is it worth the effort to go this route, and how difficult to obtain your own authority? Thanks for your imput on this issue!

Neckster
Be Safe

Go to the link below and you will be on your way, dont delay, do it today, before these guys talk you out of it. Hurry!

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm
Old 09-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can get your authority for a $300 filing fee. You will need a minimum of $750,000 of liability insurance and $100,000 in cargo. You only need $5,000 to obtain authority, but most brokers and shippers will require at least $100,000 in cargo. Some insurance companies will not write less than $100,000. Most insurance companies require 2 years driving experience and a good MVR before they will write you. A few people on this forum have been able to get liability insurance through Progressive. I like to see people succeed, but without experience, you have your work cut out for you.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Neckster, where do you live and what type trailers do you plan to use?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
If you want to get your Authority and operate a business don't listen to loadit. His advice is the best way to go into BK.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Rookie

A good place to start would be www.evilsizor.com.
They can take care of all your authority needs.
Progressive is good for new drivers. Depending on your driving record they will insure your entire rig, truck and trailer, even if rented or leased.
If your going to rent or lease to start, I would recommend Penske or Ryder rentals. Penske looks to be a little less expensive than Ryder.
As far as getting work and loads to run, the load boards seem to have PLENTY of work to go round. In particular "www.getloaded.com".(123loadboard.com is good too)
It seems to me that for starters, youll need at least $10,000 to get you buy until those checks start to come in.
This is what I plan to do eventually, though owning my own truck. But I will probably have to work for someone for a bit first to afford it. Otherwise I would just jump in and go out under your own authority. Youll get the experience as you go. Others here may not think this is a good idea, but I can see many have done it.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
Quote:
If you want to get your Authority and operate a business don't listen to loadit. His advice is the best way to go into BK.
Neckster, TFMOTORS is so successful that he spends all of his typing moments typing crap. If you think you can truck running for brokers, you are wrong and will not be in business 9 months in this economy. If you want customers in and around Connecticut, let me know what kind of trailer you will be pulling. I'm trying to help O/O's be independent, you will need brokers to get back to your better paying shippers, I can help you get shippers. I've got them to give away, the pie is pretty big.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Neckster, TFMOTORS is so successful that he spends all of his typing moments typing crap. If you think you can truck running for brokers, you are wrong and will not be in business 9 months in this economy. If you want customers in and around Connecticut, let me know what kind of trailer you will be pulling. I'm trying to help O/O's be independent, you will need brokers to get back to your better paying shippers, I can help you get shippers. I've got them to give away, the pie is pretty big.
Ah... More drivel and more lies
Old 09-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ah... More drivel and more lies
Ah... More drivel and more crap :withstupid: