User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Also one of the things I was not prepared for is so many freakin reasons to be slow.

When I started it was the beginning of the potato season off Long Island.

I got work immediately and found a nice load back to NJ

Then I got the frozen ltl deal which I still do and is a done deal 52 weeks a year.

Everything I do hinges on the ltl load.

I started in oct and did pretty good but Katrina took a lot of reefers south with ice.

After New years there was diddly squat until March.

March -June I was making a living.

But then everything got slow again and brokers were very stingy with the $$$$$

Its busy again but the whole summer was stink-o

If it was a really hot summer you can name your price out of Poland Spring but it was mega hot for a week or so.

Every holiday means you are going to go pick up loads that aren't ready because "its a holiday you know" or wind up working a few days until you can get a rythem going

So basicly you have to be able to predict and react to regional slow seaons and I don't know how to do that.

If you use the load boards exclusively it looks like (to me at least wet behinf the ears)

You need to kick butt for 6 months to cover the other slow 6 months.

easier said than done
Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
easier said than done
Well Sonny, you are the last man, i'd be worry about!
Cause you've got a lot of common sense, and a lot of humor sense(wouldn't even mention experience ), and that's what we need, to survive in this business! :P 8)
Old 09-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Board Regular

Aw shucks :shock:
Old 09-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Board Regular

G man I agree with you 100%. I hear guys saying the are a company driver and hope to get thier own truck someday. There are really not that many good paying o/o companies. And its hard to get that point across. And you hear guys saying they will do whatever it takes to make a profit. Peanut butter and crackers etc. Gonna stay out and run. You know the story. What kind of life is that? Then the dream of the own authority pops up and I think its worse than o/o unless you go in with decent contacts. There is way too much slow time as I said before. Also don't be fooled into thinking that there is big money waiting for you here. There is plenty of work, but its hard to make more money than the better paying o/o jobs.
The freedom is an advantage and If a broker likes you (all you have to do is be on time once and a broker will like you) you will get a few $$$ bones. The only real advantage is eventually getting yourself known while having your authority and having an opportunity fall into your lap.
I run the same route use the same brokers and what has happened is you talk to the same people and you get your foot in the the door here and there. I like that part and its become a lucrative busness. Thats why I still do it.