User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What do you look for in a broker??

I know the obvious, how quick to pay, credit rating, advances. What other things are appealing? I've run a brokerage since 1997 and have freight all over US all types of freight. Just wondering what you folks look for.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Beside the "obvious" , i'd like to deal with the honest business person, who would consider me a customer. In return, i'll do the same for him.
And no, i'm not looking for "not for profit" relations, as long as everybody is satisfied! 8)
Old 09-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

RESPECT!!!! Also the understanding of a broker that we are business people, and not STUPID.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member

TF and 379, I can agree with both of those answers. Alot of brokers take us for stupid, because thay are "smarter". I would like to add, more carriers than you think dont know what they want for a simple 1-1 load. I usually get a quote from the carrier then negotiate a rate with the shipper so we can all be satisfied. In 9 years of doing this everyday, have I seen a good shipper pass up a truck that I offered. Some bad ones have and called back begging a few hours later. I like those. Moved a round trip this week 1400 miles $4000 dry van load reloaded at same warehouse.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Honesty is at the top of my list along with a fair rate. If I find that a broker has lied to me, I will NEVER do business with them again. The other things I look for have already been listed, such as quick turn around in my money. Some brokers want to charge a hefty premium for paying quickly. I won't pay the high fees. If a broker can't or won't pay quickly I usually will pass on their freight. I do quite a bit of OD loads and most of the time I receive accurate information. I have had a few instances where dimensions were off. Permits are ordered based upon information received from the shipper or broker. If permits are ordered with the wrong information, they must be re-ordered which costs extra money. If the error is the fault of the broker, he should be willing to pay for the new permits.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Board Regular

I would say medium size,short back,strong limbs and a tight fitting coat.Well developed muscles, gait firm yet elastic. His temperment must be steadfast and tractable.. He must show strength and agility with elegance and style.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Board Regular

Hey loadit I would like to see if we could work together I have my own authority and truck I rent a trailer from schneider. I live in jacksonville, florida. I'm always looking for decent paying loads. I called about a bunch of loads today and was disgusted. there was one load from belcamp, md going to san antone, first broker told me 1068 loaded miles 2001 dollars from baltimore not belcamp which is north of baltimore. I was out the truck but when i got back in looked at atlas 1648 miles. I called him back and told him he quoted wrong mileage he agreed he made a mistake. what ticked me off was when he calculated it was 1.20 a mile I asked for 500 more dollars he said there is 6 other carriers calling about this load so the pay is what it is. We have alot of people hauling cheap freight and it is screwing us all. but anyway pm me I would like to use as a resource. Thank you.

http://www.trukz.com
Old 09-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
I would say medium size,short back,strong limbs and a tight fitting coat.Well developed muscles, gait firm yet elastic. His temperment must be steadfast and tractable.. He must show strength and agility with elegance and style.

It sounds more like either a date or pet rather than a broker. :lol: :P
Old 09-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collard Greens
Hey loadit I would like to see if we could work together I have my own authority and truck I rent a trailer from schneider. I live in jacksonville, florida. I'm always looking for decent paying loads. I called about a bunch of loads today and was disgusted. there was one load from belcamp, md going to san antone, first broker told me 1068 loaded miles 2001 dollars from baltimore not belcamp which is north of baltimore. I was out the truck but when i got back in looked at atlas 1648 miles. I called him back and told him he quoted wrong mileage he agreed he made a mistake. what ticked me off was when he calculated it was 1.20 a mile I asked for 500 more dollars he said there is 6 other carriers calling about this load so the pay is what it is. We have alot of people hauling cheap freight and it is screwing us all. but anyway pm me I would like to use as a resource. Thank you.
Greens, I'm not here looking for trucks, I'm trying to HELP O/Os that want it. Tell me where you run and what type of trailer and I will GIVE you customers here for all to see.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Board Regular

I live in Jacksonville Fl. I No further North than New York. No further west than AZ, and none of the Northwest.

http://www.trukz.com