User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I think the problem that most people have with the manner that Steve has chosen to go about starting his business is that he hasn't paid the dues that most of us have had to pay to gain the applied learning that we have aquired.

When you buy a truck and then don't even understand how dangerous it is to bobtail if you don't understand stopping distance increases when you are bobtailing, it raises eyebrows of those that have already learned things such as that through experience yet have never thought about being an O/O because it's not their cup of tea.

The shifting problems, well, that could be an nuance of your particular truck or it could mean you just haven't got the "feel" of shifting that particular pattern yet.

While I don't pretend to try to speak for others, these are my observations. Are these hiccups a bad omen to your starting a successful career as an O/O? Probably not but it does cause others to reflect and wonder why not go about it in a more "proven" method, i.e.; become a company driver first to see if it's even for you.

BOL

Old 08-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe
I think the problem that most people have with the manner that Steve has chosen to go about starting his business is that he hasn't paid the dues that most of us have had to pay to gain the applied learning that we have aquired.

When you buy a truck and then don't even understand how dangerous it is to bobtail if you don't understand stopping distance increases when you are bobtailing, it raises eyebrows of those that have already learned things such as that through experience yet have never thought about being an O/O because it's not their cup of tea.

The shifting problems, well, that could be an nuance of your particular truck or it could mean you just haven't got the "feel" of shifting that particular pattern yet.

While I don't pretend to try to speak for others, these are my observations. Are these hiccups a bad omen to your starting a successful career as an O/O? Probably not but it does cause others to reflect and wonder why not go about it in a more "proven" method, i.e.; become a company driver first to see if it's even for you.

BOL
I cannot disagree with any of this.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:15 AM
Board Regular

Because the training companies for the most part are for people with small to no options.

If you take the time to look at the other end of it , it doesnt pay very well . You are someone elses robot . You cant fuel here , you cant stop there . Telling you that you cant go home but dont have a run to make . They cant get you home while you are with in easy distance . You ask for West and get East . On and on and on.

Leasing operators seem to be running for .90 per mile on a you lose lease purchase and charge you for every thing they can. etc etc etc.

All this information is on CAD and much more of the same . Its not exaggeration if the posts are true . Ive read so many though it points to solid truth after having read hundreds.

Thats what the trucking industry has done to people with no options.

O/O with authority is the only level that the BS changes as far my eyes see. Its the business mans level . The pay increases but you have to be set for the operation with enough money in the bank. Deal with customers with business smarts and be unwilling to take a hosing .

Not to say Steve wont keep learning , he will . Just like any different field.

I separate from Steves thinking on this part of it but he may be comfortable . I would hire a driver to ride with me until I was comfortable. Thats still much better money than any other way.

Steve tried to drive on the weekends and call it good for now but they wouldnt let him. Hes not ging to drive full time for 400 per week when hes making 100 grand a year . I have figgured 100 grand with the way he chose. Hes not making payments so hes not paying interrest or loan fees. He can sit and not pull a cheap load . He doesnt have any one at the house .

Winners dont consider losing . Steve sounds like a winner to me .

Its pretty easy for me to see it . Yall need to remember what all the teaching is here as yall have done it . Thanks for it .

Now yall can run me off .

Tim
Old 08-23-2006, 03:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A good businessman looks at all the possibilities and options. You always want to have a contingency plan. The way Steve is going about it is the most expensive way to learn the business. He is going to learn on the job, but at his own expense, rather than on someone else nickel. That is expensive. He will make mistakes. We all do. It will not be easy, but he seems determined and has put his own money on the line. It makes a big difference when it is your money at risk. His chances are greatly enhanced because he has resources to see him through the learning curve. The way he is going about it is not what I would recommend for most people. In fact, most of those who choose to buy a truck, should not do it, if for no other reason than they don't have the capital to run their business. Starting a business is the American way. Most people want their future guaranteed to them. When you start a business, you are the one who either makes it happen or not. Sometimes, when everything is on the line, you have nothing to lose, so you make it work. America was built by entrepuener's. I think we need more entrepreuner's who are willing to take measured risks for a better life. I don't think anyone should start a trucking company (and that is what Steve has done), without sufficient capitalization or research. At least he isn't afraid or embarassed to ask questions. Will he make a go of it? Only time will tell. He certainly has the determination and single mindedness to make it successful. It will depend on how he manages his business and what he puts in it. And, I am not talking entirely about money. Anyone who is successful, puts a lot of time and effort into a business. That is the only way they succeed.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:33 AM
Board Regular

I wont question your experience or post for that matter but to me its lacking the real point .

Correct me if IM wrong please. You are one of my teachers here.

I figgured the money all three ways . On start up leasing is out of the question. So thats eliminated. You cant lease on with out experience or lieing . Moot point .

Hire on with a training company . 28 cents per mile is relavant . You are at their disgression how many miles you run . Might be 1500 and not get home. More to the tune of 2000. You might spend the weekend at a consignors and not make a dime . Its really up to the company. They might pay .39 per mile and you might earn every penny of it getting 250 miles per day. As a newbie you will get left overs till you put in your time and pay your dues. After all , you are at the bottom of the list. 400 per week for over time hours training . List goes on of possible ways for the family to starve. Thers no control over it and I dont like it .

O/O with authority. Just like your post said . Insert my exception of hiring a retired driver . Put "your " pick of trainer on the truck. Add the right to hire and fire . Keep him or her till you are comfortable . If the snow starts flying rehire him or her or someone else .

The money. Ive been on load boards since January watching them as Steve has too. Except for several weeks Ive found a standard of 2.00 pm for the taking but its a lot of work to maintain them for there are lots cheaper out there.

At 1.70 per mile , splitting .70 with the trainer is .35 . not figgureing taxes and ss. The real value to it is picking your own loads and doing your sitting at the house with the family and not held hostage .

When the training is done it looks to me like .75 per mile labour . And some freedom. Maybe a life .

Tim
Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I was fortunate to be hired by a small o/o as a driver... he taught me a great deal... I am a reasonably successful o/o due to the fact that I paid my dues as a company driver.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe
And why that would be anybody, but Steve problem? :roll:
Could be a big one tho... :?

Some people, going thru midlife crisis, buying a red convertible, Steve bought a red WS, what's wrong with it...as long as you can afford that hobby.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Rookie

To me, there are just way too many things that a newbie driver needs to pay attention to, let alone being an o/o, PLUS your own authority and all the business aspects that go w/ it.

Even if I had a pile of money, I still would at the least test the waters buy driving for someone.You dont need to start w/ a big co. that only has the intention of screwing you.There are plenty of local ,regional small co's that would be more than happy to train/teach a newbie.

Steve is (from reading his posts) an educated, smart guy, but that alone does not equal success.

Again, I agree w/ GMAN, he picked THE hardest way possible.I know I'm repeating myself, but the learning curve is huge going this route. What scares me is running flatbed, with absoultely NO idea/experience/teaching of how to secure/tarp etc.Thats downright scary to me.Steve I'm not trying to be an a$$ , but flat bed is one of the more dangerous segments of the industry.for both you and everyone around you IF you have no training.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:44 AM