User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

way to stereotype people buddy, you should share this wisdom at truck stops you visit, don`t be suprised when someone cuts your glad hands off though :lol:

just jump in and throw the chains on and learn eh, yeah you`ll do real good.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Yes Gman, I agree. I think my post comes more from people telling me I can't do it, I'm going to fail and all sorts of other things. I just plain don't agree and I think anyone with some determination and brains can do just fine.

I haven't been to happy with the used flatbeds I've found so far. Lots of money for piles of crap that need over $3,000 to fix them up to look decent and operate. I'm going to look at a new flatbed today and will probably go with that.

You will probably get some flak over your statement. There are always those who can tell you why you cannot do something. And to be honest you have some things working against you, such as lack of experience. On the other hand, you have things working in your favor, such as being able to pay cash for your equipment and reserves to run the truck. Determination and initiative can over come a lot of obstacles. I have known of people who have achieved great success, that they probably should not have achieved, through sheer determination and grit. I have also met some educated idiots. I recall one guy I knew many years ago who had a good education and high intellect. The problem he had is that he didn't have any common sense. He was fine if it was in a book. He repaired a car by getting a book from the library. Take away his book, and he was lost. :roll: One thing I believe a good education can do for you is teach you how to go about finding answers.

I bought a new step deck last year. I looked for a good used trailer, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for at a decent price. I finally just bought a new trailer. If you had more time, you could probably get a good deal at one of the truck auctions. I am not familiar with trailer dealers in your area, but I got a good deal on my step deck at K & L Truck and Trailer in Knoxville, TN. They are a Transcraft dealer. They saved me about $2M. If I were looking for a moderately priced flat bed trailer I would look at Transcraft and Great Dane. By the way, there is also a fairly large Great Dane dealer in Knoxville. You may find someone near you. Lufkin makes a no frills steel trailer. Not too long ago, you could buy one for less than $20M. I priced a new one last year for about $16M, I believe. I am sure that the price has gone up since then. Regardless of which trailer you purchase, I would spec it to haul coils and steel. I understand you can't haul it now, but may want to do so once your restriction is lifted. Besides, it makes for a stronger trailer. It is called a coil package.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Steve, when it "grinds" is that you grinding the gear or does it grind instantly when it goes into neutral? The 5-6 or 6-5 shift will have a slightly different tempo then the other shifts. You have to wait for the tranny to "click"(going into a different range. Sometimes you have to feather the throttle a little differently.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

gone
Old 08-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

why not go for a Spread axle that you can switch between Spread and Regular Tandem?
They're a bit pricey though
Old 08-22-2006, 04:38 PM

gone
Old 08-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Board Icon

I haven't run into Canada for quite awhile
Actually States prefer Spread Axles because, Supposedly, they distribute your Weight which in turn saves wear and tear on roads and Bridges.

I'm sure somebody that is more DOT qualified than me will chime in with more definite Regs.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:03 PM

gone
Old 08-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Board Icon

Here-this will help you

http://www.tdrc.ca/axle_weights.html
Old 08-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I figure if the majority of truckers out there who basically never finished more than 9th grade, can't spell, can't speak English,
WOW! Nothing like going into this thinking your the "Gifted One".Thats a fantastic attitude to have. You'll quickly find out how fast your arrogance will get you no where, and just how wrong that statement actually is.

As GMan said, you'll find everything from drop outs to former CEO's, teachers, lawyers, cops , the trucking industry runs the entire gamet.

I would at the least have gotten some experience before I jumped in, but that just me.

I would be very leary of going w/ flatbed right off the bat.Your going to have soo much else to worry about, being a new driver PLUS O/O, that adding all the compleities of flatbed(IE regs on how certain products have to be secured,loads shifting, tarping, etc...) will be a HUGE learning curve. But, as you said if all the stupid people can ....

Yes its great to be able to pay cash for everything, BUT that doesnt equal success. It certainly helps, its great that you can do that, we all wish we could, but you still have to have the return on that investment.Just because there are no payments, doesn't mean you can afford to make less.