User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How do you write a rate quote?

I was put in contact with a local company and besides the usual they asked for our rate's. Now I know what I want to put, however I dont know how to put it into words. Does anyone have a website or something to help me with. Again I know my rates, but Ive never been asked to put it in writing, cause im fairly new to this.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Is this sort of what you had in mind? Like a load confirmation sheet?
Bear in mind that this is a work in progress and is not yet complete.
--------------------
shipper/broker name
Load ID number
Origin
loading time/date
Destination
delivery time/date
brief description of load (weight/material), for details check bill of lading.
Tarp requirement?
Broker phone number
Shipper phone number
Receiver phone number
Truck phone number

Contracted sum: $
Includes: 1.5 hour loading window, load securement, Tarping, Call to broker at loading completion, Commit to unloading window at loading completion, single destination, 1.5 hour unloading window, fax invoice to broker.

Change of destination: If destination changes then shipper/broker is charged an additional $2.25 per mile for additional miles. This includes loads rejected by the receiver. Miles are counted as practical miles computed from the original destination to the new destination in addition to the contracted sum.

Detention: If loading or unloading takes more than 1.5 hours from check in to check out then the shipper/broker pays $75 per hour for all hours detained for a maximum of $800 per 24 hour period. In the event that check in time is before the scheduled appointment window then the detention time-clock will start at the beginning of scheduled appointment window. Carrier reserves the right to reschedule appointment windows at the completion of loading or with 18 hours notice. If Bill of lading doesn’t include check in/check out times then a suitable replacement form will be used.

Truck not used: Should the load specified in this contract be re-assigned or become unavailable a truck not used fee shall apply. The fee shall be $250 for one day and $500 for loads scheduled for Friday or Saturday pickup. Should the broker/shipper be able to assign another load to the truck within 1 hour and 100 miles the TONU fee will be waived.

Late Delivery: If the load does not arrive at the receiver within one hour of the scheduled appointment window then $50 per business hour will be deducted from the contracted sum for a maximum of $500 per day, not to exceed 40% of the contracted sum. If the carrier is late for the appointment then the detention pay will not apply until the elapsed time after check in reaches 8 hours. Carrier will not be responsible for, nor reduce the fee, due to delays at the shipper or previous receivers on multiple stop loads, or overlong border crossing times. Unforeseen weather, or road closures, or acts of God, or terrorism will also void this clause.

Additional stops: Multiple stops will be charged $100 for each stop more than (1) one. This includes loads rejected by the receiver or re-directed by the shipper/broker. Detention time will be calculated for each stop on multiple stop loads unless included in the contracted sum.

Contracted weight: If the load exceeds the contracted weight by more than 10% then the carrier will request an increase in the contracted sum.

Overweight: If the load (other than a specified over dimension load) is overweight or improperly balanced and there is not a scale at the shipper then the shipper/broker will be charged $2.50 per mile for all odometer miles for the trip from the shipper to the nearest scale and back to the shipper in addition to the contracted sum.

Over Dimension permit loads: Unless otherwise arranged the carrier will be responsible for obtaining permits and the cost is included in the contracted sum. If the broker/shipper gives incorrect information and the load requires additional or replacement permits the exact cost will be added to the contracted sum.

Payment schedule: Payment is expected within 15 days of delivery invoice. Payment not received within 30 days of delivery date will be subject to finance charges. Interest charged at 1.5% per month for each month starting with the delivery date. Minimum finance charge $10.

Driver assist load/unload: For a flatbed load the driver is expected to properly secure after loading, and remove straps/chains before unloading. Tarping should be listed in the contracted sum. Should the load require tarping that was not listed previously the fee will be $100. Unless otherwise provided for in the contracted sum: For palletized freight a further fee will be imposed for tailgating of $1.25 per hundred pounds of freight. To place the freight on the receivers dock the rate will be $1.50 per hundred pounds of freight. If driver is responsible for organizing, storing, sorting, shelving, or displaying the freight the rate will be $100 per hour. If the receiver does not allow the driver to unload and requires lumpers or charges for unloading this cost will be passed along to the shipper/broker in addition to the contracted sum.

Double brokering: The Carrier will not take loads that have been double brokered in violation of an original contract. Should evidence of double brokering be apparent the Carrier will deal directly with the originating broker/shipper.

Shipper load and count: Should the shipper prohibit the driver from observing the loading process or seal the trailer without the driver present then the bills of lading will be marked with “SLC” or “SLT” (sealed loaded trailer) with no exceptions and the driver or carrier will not be responsible for incorrect loading or count. Should the shipper not place load bars/locks in properly on a SLT load the driver or carrier will not be responsible for damage that may occur. The shipper or broker will be responsible for paying any fines or damage incurred due to an improperly secured load.

Failure to pay in a timely manner or including complete payment will result in a negative payment rating and a complaint to Dunn and Bradstreet. Carrier reserves the right to sell the amount owed to a freight factoring company or collection agency.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 AM

Now thats sharp. I thought it kinda hard to answer him, because obviously a legal load should be hauled for less than a OD load. And a load to a remote are with little chance of another out would be worth a higher premium, etc. I dont think one rate fits all, however I know a lot of companies do contract rates-thats no problem. I guess Im used to just being handed the rate, and accepting,declining, or negotiating.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Junkman,

Rawlco has given you the contract part of the agreement. You will need to give the shipper rates to their shipping destinations. Ask then for a list of all destinations. Your first page shall then be a listing of rates to all destinations they service, not where you want to go. Where you want to go you quote at your reasonable rate. Where you dont want to go you quote at an unreasonably high rate, because when they cant find a truck to go there you have that great rate in place and the money sends you where you dont really want to go. The next pages then would be what Rawlco sent to you minus any reference to brokers and remove the part about reporting to D&B, you just state your payment terms, I would put 7 day net, but thats me. You do not want to be combative/adversarial, you want to be friendly/cooperative. Good Luck and Load it!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Board Icon

One thing the above contract doesn't cover is dispute resolution. Just sayin'. :wink:
Old 11-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If this is a firm quote on rates, you may also want to put something about a fuel surcharge, if you charge one. A fuel surcharge will help protect you from spikes in fuel costs without having to go back to the shipper every time there is a jump in fuel prices. If you do use a fsc, you may want to show how it is calculated and that way the shipper knows what he is expected to pay.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
One thing the above contract doesn't cover is dispute resolution. Just sayin'. :wink:
Good point. What would you suggest?

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 11-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Good point. What would you suggest?
This Agreement is the final and exclusive statement of all understandings between the parties hereto in respect to the subject matter described herein. No change, modification, or other oral understanding of this Agreement shall be effective unless it is in writing and signed by each party. This Agreement shall be construed with and governed in accordance with the laws of the State of (INSERT YOUR STATE HERE) and both parties expressly agree to the personal jurisdiction of the State of (INSERT YOUR STATE HERE) for any litigation arising from this Agreement. Any disputes in relation to this Agreement shall first be submitted to mediation before a lawsuit can be filed. Any party to this Agreement who fails to participate in mediation hereby waives any claim for attorney's fees and costs in any subsequent legal proceeding. If any litigation results from this Agreement, the unsuccessful party in said litigation shall pay the successful parties reasonable attorney's fees and related costs EXCEPT when the mediation clause was not fulfilled.

Or something like that. :wink: