View Poll Results: Who's gonna be the money-bags bedbugger this summer?
Rev Vassago- aka "cupcake" 16 31.37%
Teal 95 KW- even though his truck is white 18 35.29%
BanditsCousin- the good time your mama warned you about 17 33.33%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 04:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
No, because I'd be keeping up, almost as well!

Also, the T600 isn't gonna work out for me so i have a piece of crap freightliner century class that i swapped for during thr transition. It has no jake brake, any recommendations for going down Mont eagle?

Thus to date, I've made around 10, but with HIGH overhead. It seems you have it going on and me and Teal will be fighting for 2nd lol.

Drop a few gears and take it sloooowww. I lost an engine going off Monteagle one time. I didn't have a jake on that truck, either. If you don't have a jake, better keep it at or below the posted speed limit. You can probably keep it at around 35 mph. One thing to keep in mind while going off is that the runaway ramps are on the left side, if you are going East. There aren't any runaway ramps on the West bound side. There is a mandatory break check stop as you start off the hill. Make sure you stop. The State watches that check to make sure commercial vehicles stop. Don't start off in too high of a gear. You will probably want to be in about 5th gear or lower if you are heavy. 7th would probably be all right with a jake unless you are heavy. If your brakes start heating up too much, there is room to pull on the side to let them cool off. I have seen drivers with their brakes on fire (literally) going off too fast. Without the jake, you may want to keep a light steady pressure on your brakes. If you put too much pressure on the brakes, you will heat up too fast and your brakes will fade. You really don't want that to happen. Just take your time and you will do fine. 8)
Old 05-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the advice guys!

The good news is, its furniture, so my gross is 60K loaded this trip, so I should be ok. Also, I'm taking 40 to 26, a route I haven't traveled yet, so I am unsure if I will run across anything larger than MontEagle. Good thing ol Monte is bad going south, northbound is a piece of cake for me.

The race is still on! 8)
Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

If i remember correctly 40 to 26 has a big hill quite a bit worse than Monteage if my memory serves me correct.......As for Monteagle, i live about 20 minutes away from there and have been up and down it a zillion times in cars and have seen to many sets of smoking and on fire breaks to count. When i worked for Star out of nashville I regularly took near capacity loads down monteagle. That grade is nothing like some of the big ones out west but it is still tough...it never flattens out at all...points down all the way and G-Man is correct, the right side of the road is a drop off of the mountain all the way down so the run away ramps are on the left. With no jake i wouldnt get much past 7th gear on the way down....I run 8th with my jake now but when i worked for star my truck had a busted jake on it so i got a lot of experience going down the big hills the hard way. I can almost promise you will see at least one set of smoking breaks on the way down as well. Lots of hot rod truckers go down fast anyways.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Board Icon

[whine]I HATE FOLDING PADS![/whine]

But I got it done.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Yanno, that made me think of something. I NEVER, and I repeat NEVER hire help out of a truckstop, but I ran across a fella who was very persistent about helping me. Well, one night I was folding pads (i carried 320, and had about 200 of them badboys to fold) and he walked up to my truck at the Flying J in Aurora, Co. and asked if I needed help, and I initially told him "no thanks" and he kept on. Well, he asked if I could just buy him something for dinner...so long story short, I got all of my pads folded, for a meal from the chinese cafe, and a pack of cigarettes. I spent...$15? To have all my pads folded.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:49 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW
Yanno, that made me think of something. I NEVER, and I repeat NEVER hire help out of a truckstop, but I ran across a fella who was very persistent about helping me. Well, one night I was folding pads (i carried 320, and had about 200 of them badboys to fold) and he walked up to my truck at the Flying J in Aurora, Co. and asked if I needed help, and I initially told him "no thanks" and he kept on. Well, he asked if I could just buy him something for dinner...so long story short, I got all of my pads folded, for a meal from the chinese cafe, and a pack of cigarettes. I spent...$15? To have all my pads folded.
It would be a cold day in hell before I let some bum touch my pads. I had to do all of them - about 300 pads, and about 150 skins. Took me about 3 hours max.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

As I said, normally I don't do that kinda thing. He was a neat, well kept clean cut fella, and had gone and helped 2 north american drivers and a united driver in the coule of days that I was there. He worked quickly and was polite.

One day, I am going to invent a Pad Folder, which can fit in your belly boxes...pull it out, set it up and feed pads through it and it folds them for you.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:49 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW
One day, I am going to invent a Pad Folder, which can fit in your belly boxes...pull it out, set it up and feed pads through it and it folds them for you.
Too late - that idea is already mine.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

a pad folder with breasts, so THERE! :lol:

Old 05-30-2006, 03:03 AM
Board Icon

That idea is taken already too. I called the wife earlier today, and asked her to come out here and fold my pads. She said that it would take too long to get here, so it wouldn't work.

But I've gotten her to do it in the past with me.