View Poll Results: Who's gonna be the money-bags bedbugger this summer?
Rev Vassago- aka "cupcake" 16 31.37%
Teal 95 KW- even though his truck is white 18 35.29%
BanditsCousin- the good time your mama warned you about 17 33.33%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Impressive Grosses $$$ Fellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac
Rev.,Bandit, Teal, I have a couple questions.

1. How did you guys get into bedbugging? Did you go right into it or come from Van, reefer etc.? I am going into flatbedding shortly. I applied to Graebel awhile ago but heard nothing back.
Graebel requires 2 years HHG experience. I got my experience by being a company driver for a HHG company.

Quote:
2. Not to get into your business . After taxes, fuel, payments, maintenance and other crap, from a owner-operators view do you actually net 6 figs to yourselves after everything is tallied in a year?
I'll let you know at the end of the year. It's possible, but it would require a LOT of work. I figure 2/3 of my revenue goes for expenses.

Quote:
An older driver once told me that in order to actually get paid what you're worth in this industry you have to hit the niches .
True.

Quote:
Bedbugging, autohauling , heavy-haul specialty flatbedding , or produce hauling which I refuse.
Produce hauling isn't really a niche, but yes - do something that everyone else isn't doing, and the money will follow.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 AM
Senior Board Member

I got my experience from watching my Dad. Hes been a bedbugger all his life, so I spent my summers with him. My mother also accepted a position at a United agency when I was 10 and still works for an agent. Bedbugging isn't something you can just go into. With United I've done a few days flatbedding and a couple runs of dry freight in addition to HHG. Mostly, I pull a 51' or 53' van. As far as expenses, it varies. I probably pay better than my competitiors, but I use "special" lumpers....

By special, I mean guys my Dad has used for years; guys that don't work at moving companies, but "professional" lumpers. Example: Pheonix, AZ- 2 guys and me, 5000#....$120 each? Nope, they had to have 140. These guys ran circles around me, even jotted a few things on my inventory while on the phone with a coordinator from the booking agent. When you are already drinking at 11:30am and the truck has been weighed and rated, thats damn good 8) Same thing in Okie City- 5 guys, $200 each... 5pm start time....truck is pulling away at 11:30 with the beds set up, and all debris removed and pads folded. To make $12/hr from me, you must suck.

What the bottom line is depends on a few factors as well, but I'm not out here working everyday either. Some days are layovers where I'm going to the mall or sightseeing (or trying to get some of Teal KW's gf's to take me out on the town
Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Rookie

I'm glad you have the tonnage to have a contest. How much of a discount is there? How much would you have made for the same weight 5 years ago? These are the things most drivers are looking at. I know you must realize Net vs Gross income is what's important. Not volume of tonnage hauled. Also, hauling lots of tonnage, lots of miles doesn't mean lot's of revenue in the end.
If you coulsd make a point with your agents, that cuts and high discounts are not acceptable to the future of Owner/Operators, maybe this industry would have a chance of surviving the greed of the van lines.
Didn't mean to get preachy. Sorry. Good luck with your contest. I drove for Graebel when they had Zero discounts, by the way.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Meh, it could be worse. I'm in the Yahoo group. The shutdown isn't gonna do any good though unless we all get together. Hell, you cant get 2 drivers to agree on the CB, this forum, or anywhere else :roll: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:
Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I've only been driving since November last year and I have yet to find another trucker who reads ANY trucking forum online. I think this forum here represents only a fraction of 1% of the truckers.

Although I'm against Unions, that is the one thing they would be great at, organizing anything. Imagine boycotting NY until they repealed the anti idling law? I figure it would take one week.