User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Smartphone

My search on this board failed to yield any threads on smart phones: So here is my question:
I am looking for a phone with internet access, mp3, GPS and general computer abilities
Any suggestions?

Jesus Christ is Lord of ALL
Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoto1a View Post
My search on this board failed to yield any threads on smart phones: So here is my question:
I am looking for a phone with internet access, mp3, GPS and general computer abilities
Any suggestions?
I have an iPhone and used it on the road all over the west successfully. Between towns, there are many areas where you do not get 3G coverage. However the GPS application that I downloade and the maps application that come on the phone work very well. I have about 1500 songs loaded on mine and use it to shoot video as well. Internet access is fast and for the most part widely available.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Board Icon

My wife has an IPhone. It's got everything but the kitchen sink on it. IPhones are higher than a kite, but it would have everything you mentioned on it.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I'll stick with using my phone to make phone calls and my laptop to do everything else you mentioned, as well as play video games, watch tv and watch movies.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:52 AM

Basically, cell phone companies fall into one of two catagories.
1. Cellular companies
2. PCS companies

There aren't many true cellular companies left these days. Verizon and US Cellular are two. All the rest fall into what is loosley called PCS companies. (This isn't 100% correct - It's kind of like getting a copy and saying I'm going to go Xerox this document - you may not use a Xerox at all but a different brand of copier. PCS isn't really a brand but that's the best analogy I could come up with.) ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc all fall into this catagory.

It boils down to frequencies. G3, G4, CDMA, etc - all wireless phone technologies, use different frequencies. Verizon and US Cellular use older technologies, which may sound like a draw back until you look at how the technology works.

The technologies Verizon uses has a wider foot print - roughly 20 miles. PCS towers have a signal radius closer to 12 miles. PCS signals are also more easily interrupted by LOS (line of sight ) issues. This all assumes similar conditions on the tower. Another factor is that each tower can only handle a certain number of conversations at one time - 255 to be exact. Also, as the number of users on any one tower increase, the effective signal footprint of that tower decreases.

With that all said, as a truck driver, I'd say that you'd be well advised to choose a "cellular" company if your main concern were connectivity. If on the other hand, bells and whistles are your main thing, then a "PCS" company may be a viable option. As of right now, ATT is the only carrier that you can use an iPhone with. (It's possible to Unlock the iPhone and others for use on other carrier's service but that's a whole other topic.) Verizon has recently come out with the Droid, which from all accounts I've heard, is the closest to an iPhone replacement.

All major carriers carry a number of versions of Blackberrys. This is the smartphone with the longest history. Depending on what you want, this may be a good choice. If you want the absolute latest in technology, features, bells, and whistles, you'll want to look at iPhone and Droid.

I hope this all helps. And if you are wondering, yes, I used to be in the cell phone biz.

Last edited by Luzon; 12-09-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Rookie

my chime is..............
it depends on which one you can afford. if you can afford to get Verizon then you should. i have sprint for the second time around and it's a lot better than it was. i had att and they were awful. then i had Cingular, after the att fallout and they were great, but then it reverted back to att and the bs started all over again. if you have att check your bill very very carefully. customer service sucks over there too. i lost alot of signal all over the country.
sprint is a little better than they were as far as coverage and customer service. i have a blackberry with them and it came with navigation already on it, but you can download google maps for free.
never had verizon though, but as soon as i can i will get a phone. during the last black out i was in new york city, just came out of the Lincoln tunnel when all the lights started going out. the only phone to work was verizon.
just my take.....
Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoto1a View Post
Any suggestions?
why...so you can use it without a handsfree headset, while trying to back into a tight dock at a shipper all the while u got 2-3 other drivers waiting for you to get it in, so they can get around you?

already looking to be a super trucker, huh. ;-)
Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I had the Samsung Omnia with Verizon but it keep f-ing up on me... i could save mp3's, get gps, computer applications, and 5.0 megapixel camera which takes F-ing unbelievable pics for a cell phone, and a pretty good internet browser..

i personal suggest is get a laptop even a used one, a aircard, and a decent phone where you could pay for the aircard and the phone service together.. It cost my cousin around 130 a month with an aircard and 700 mins with sprint and its unlimited
Old 12-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member

I pay $160 a month through Sprint for my aircard and 3 cell phones.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Board Member

i got a phone with an MP3 player, i can run applications and most all that other crap. but why do u need a phone that does anything more than....uh......make a phone call?

if the phone cant wash your clothes, cook your dinner or !#$% you off, then i dont need it. =)