User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'd be happy if they made a Jitterbug style phone for Sprint. As long as I can use my bluetooth headset, I'd be happy with it.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Board Icon

I love my IPhone, it's literally the smallest computer ever as Luzon said. Takes up much less space and only 1 wire to worry about, the power plug.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Senior Board Member

With my eyes the way they are, I'd have to hold that goofy thing about 1" from my face. Not too practical.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
i got a phone with an MP3 player, i can run applications and most all that other crap. but why do u need a phone that does anything more than....uh......make a phone call?

if the phone cant wash your clothes, cook your dinner or !#$% you off, then i dont need it. =)
I have to agree. I use my phone for calls only(and some text messages).

SHOCKING! I agree with Kevin

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I think I've sent out a total of 2 text messages since I got my first cell phone. I've received a few, but they were always from a wrong number. I finally just put a permanent text messaging block on all my phones.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Board Regular

Just remember, they are called "SMART PHONES" for a reason. They rapidly show us how dumb we are! I have an Iphone that I love but it takes a LONG time to learn it's ins and outs get it set it up.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Board Icon

Mal, you can zoom in on the screen to see what is there.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a Blackberry Curve 8900. I've gone through a few smartphones, and this is by far the best one I've owned. Solid too...I've dropped the thing more times than I can count and it's still working. It's also easy to take apart and replace parts to if needed if you're like me and don't carry the carrier insurance. Has GPS (though any phone GPS I wouldn't use on a rig....), snappy browser, apps (though not as many as the iPhone unfortunately, especially if you want games), MP3, standard size headphone jack when using it as an MP3 player, or you can hook up bluetooth. Single cable mini-USB charger, will either charge off a wall/inverter/travel charge, or off of the USB port of a computer. Good ringer volume and speaker volume - and while I've not tried speakerphone in a truck, in a car the other person hasn't been able to tell I'm on a speakerphone.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoto1a View Post
My search on this board failed to yield any threads on smart phones: So here is my question:
I am looking for a phone with internet access, mp3, GPS and general computer abilities
Any suggestions?
What you are looking for is a "smartphone". Blackberry, Iphone, Palm, HTC are just some of your choices and will meet your requirements. For great info & customer reviews of phones go to phonescoop.com.

I have a Blackberry 9630 Tour (Verizon Network) and I am generally happy with it. The cons first, sometimes it will get bogged down, but I have a lot of added software, much of it running at the same time. The trackball has issues going right, trackball issues are common in this model. Factory ringtones have wimpy volume. Free ringtones can be had at zedge.com (some are so loud they will wake up the driver in the next truck over :-)

The pros for the 9630. Great reception, awesome battery life, beautiful screen, loud as heck speaker (with the right ringtone), good camera w/ super bright flash, lots of app memory, real gps inside, with practice it is easy to use the keyboard. can be used one handed (left or right), good vibrate and much more.

A phone is nothing with out a network, so a very short recap. Verizon & Sprint are on the CDMA network, have a larger coverage area, roam on each others networks and cannot do simultaneous voice and data. You can talk on the phone OR surf the web but not both at the same time. Price per minute is generally higher.

AT&T & Tmobile are on the GSM network, have a less of a coverage area, roam on each others networks and can do simultaneous voice and data. You can talk on the phone AND surf the web at the same time. Price per minute is generally lower.

Carefully research both phones and carriers. The reps at the stores are there to sell phones. You will need to look out for your own interests. For example, Verizons "unlimited" data = 5 gigabytes. It's in the fine print in the brochure.

Lastly a bluetooth headset is just about mandatory. I currently use a Plantronics Voyager Pro which has awesome performance in the truck (and uses the same charger as the phone). My previous favorite the Blue Parrot BT250 is now used by my wife and has the same great performance.

Dan
Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Board Regular

iPhone here too. I don't drive anymore, but still keep the phone as it is just so easy to use. I have had a bunch of smart phones except for a Blackberry. The iPhone just rocks in my book, even though other companies look to be catching up.

I liked mine for the fact that I could recieve faxes on it, which was nice when I had my authority. I could keep driving and make sure the numbers were right when accepting a load. The GPS is really nice and works as well as my Garmin along with the web search function that allows me to make a call right from Google, and or bring up a map with GPS. There are so many things that the iPhone can do, it still blows my mind. I even have a "level" function app on mine which honestly has come in handy when I was leveling out some shelves in a not so well lit room.

Mike