User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Swift waiving CDL tuition for veterans???

Was just told this today by a recruiter there. Whats the catch after reading all the negative stuff on this board about getting CDL training through a carrier??? If its legit then why should I pay a local school $4000??? Thanks for any help
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Rookie

It is legit. It is free with a one year commitment. I was considering about going with Swift for that same reason.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

The one year commitment? You give up your freedom to change company's in the first year. Sure everyone has to get the miles under them and experience, but they can start dropping your miles if you don't get along with your dispatcher or any decision they make and you don't agree with you will start setting. And if your not rollin - then your not making money. If you pay up front for school, then your choice of companys will open up to you. Best of luck.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Senior Board Member

You're probably has pass thru for the VA money if you use that to finance your training. What do community colleges in your area charge for driver training? May be a better deal.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Rose's and Sealord nailed it! Pay for it your self (or VA funding) if at all possible. It's not unheard of a Co. training a person then starving them out for one reason or another then when you quit YOU OWE THEM FOR THE" VALUEABLE TRAINING" all tthe while your getting paid pennies. Do not fall into that trap. Thanks for your service and good luck!

Check with Crete Carriers, I just saw something on the Q/C about vets but don't remember what. They don't have a school but do take new driversjust out of school.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Board Regular

It's swift of COURSE its a scam. by that definition EVERY newbie company offers "free tuition" to everyone lol

Never trust anyone who tries to con you. Ugh i wonder what it feels like to be a recruiter ie a sociopath with no soul.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Rookie

I would say go with Swift unless you can get it cheaper elsewhere. The schools where I live charge between $5000 to $6000. I would not use the VA to pay for CDL school. If you are still active duty you can use TA Assistance to cover most of the cost.
The 9/11 GI Bill, I would use that for college. It pays for a Bachelors degree. You also get a housing allowance which is at the E-5 rate with dependants. If you get the degree you may or may not be able to get a job. A lot of jobs now require a degree, even jobs that never required one before. The college degree has become the new high school diploma.
You have to pay someone for the training, so why not Swift. You are a veteran, so you should be able to play politics for a year with a company to have it paid for. If you leave you have to pay Swift for the training. Which you would have to do anyways if you had went to another school. If you can find it cheaper though go with the cheapest way.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Default Learned....Fress is NOT FREE....My near future Plans....Inputs appreaciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapgame44 View Post
Was just told this today by a recruiter there. Whats the catch after reading all the negative stuff on this board about getting CDL training through a carrier??? If its legit then why should I pay a local school $4000??? Thanks for any help
I am a Navy Vet, with some Post 9/11 VA benefits remaining and currently have full time employment as a Navy Contractor.

The PLAN
1. Continue staying with employer, attend Western Truck Driving School using my 9/11 benefits;
2. Get hired by a truck company upon completion and achieving my CDL;
3. Take '30-45' days vacation time to get some experience and time OTR...this will give me 'double-dipping' for income;
4. If all goes well with the trucking company, put in my 2-weeks with current employer and hit the road.

Thoughts?

-scott
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Rookie

I think that is a good plan. That is if your contract is going to run out with the Navy. If you have a job that is secure, and has good benefits and pay I would stick with that job. It also really depends on how well you like your job. If you dread going to work everyday; then this would be a good way to see if you like trucking better.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:38 AM
Rookie

Government paying them. A year is not that long. No company trains you then cuts your miles to make you quit. Cost them to much to train you and all companies including swift try to retain drivers. Get the free training if it is offered. I got my training through Schneider 15 years ago free. Had one year commitment but quit after 1 month because they kept messing my pay up. They never asked for the training reimbursement.