User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default turning

Question for the experience drivers
When making left or right turns as a driver are you required to hold a specific lane when your turning
Which is best lane to start from
I understand you need the clearence to make the turn
Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigliftedtruck View Post
Question for the experience drivers
When making left or right turns as a driver are you required to hold a specific lane when your turning
Which is best lane to start from
I understand you need the clearence to make the turn
I assume that you mean makeing a turn when there is multiple turning lanes.
OK lets say you get off the X-way and at the bottom of the ramp are three lanes, the right lane is for right turn only. The center is for turning left or right and the left is of course for left turns only. I always take the right most lane for all my turns. So if I'm turning left (above) then I'm going to be in the center lane, that way I can swing as wide as needed and WATCH in the left mirror for 4-wheelers and such and not worry about the blind spot on the right.
Now when turning right you also use the Right most lane, reason being is to keep that 4 wheeler from cutting in between you and the curb. You probably will have to swing a little wide the left in the turn but you can easily see to the left.
make sense?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Rookie
Default turning

thank you
that makes sense and is understandable
are there any regulation laws that require you to been in those lanes
in California got a warning
but could not locate a motor vehicle code

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I assume that you mean makeing a turn when there is multiple turning lanes.
OK lets say you get off the X-way and at the bottom of the ramp are three lanes, the right lane is for right turn only. The center is for turning left or right and the left is of course for left turns only. I always take the right most lane for all my turns. So if I'm turning left (above) then I'm going to be in the center lane, that way I can swing as wide as needed and WATCH in the left mirror for 4-wheelers and such and not worry about the blind spot on the right.
Now when turning right you also use the Right most lane, reason being is to keep that 4 wheeler from cutting in between you and the curb. You probably will have to swing a little wide the left in the turn but you can easily see to the left.
make sense?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member

If you got a warning or a ticket, it will have the exact motor vehicle code on the ticket.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Well if you got a warning then I ASSUME that they have some kind of law , but then again who know's? I got a ticket years ago for setting off fire crackers when I looked into it I found the voilation that was listed was for grass and weeds not being mowed!
Being a warning I wouldn't worry about it UNLESS it somehow goes on your CSA score.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Rookie

It depends on how much room you have in the upcoming lanes after the turn. If you have a wide right lane, then stay in that lane and get close to the broken line to stay wide enough. If the upcoming right lane is too narrow I'll turn into the next lane to the left of it as much as I need to, then go straight to the right lane after the trailer clears the turn. Just make sure no stupid cars try to sneak in on your right! Keep the gap shut! Many people don't know how to handle driving around a truck and they can't be trusted.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Board Regular

Turn from the far lane. that simple. Watch for 4wheelers on BOTH sides. They are all suicidal morons.
Most importantly remember it's your road. If theyre a pain pull out and wait til they are clear

Ive shut down roads in cleveland, chicago and nc because 4wheelers thought they could force me to do something or be otherwise stupid. Pulled the air brakes in cleveland anld sat back and smiled til the 4wheelers realised a: i wasnt moving so they had to b: it wouldnt be a good idea to get out of the car and talk ****. They moved.

Also the cop was a moron. You wouldnt think it from reading here but cops generally have our backs. And most truckers i know would run over an idiot shooting at a cop or stop to help if we saw one who got jumped. Well except in ohio or michigan
Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Board Icon

Sounds like you might have turned from a lane that wasn't a turn lane for the turn you made, IE: made a left turn from a right turn only lane or a left turn from a straight thru lane only. Being a warning, move on down the road, try not to make the same mistake again.

As for the correct lane to be in, cdreid has it like I do it. Turn from the farthest lane you can legally turn from for the turn your doing. This gives you the widest possible angle to turn. If it's a tight city area, try the button hook turn instead of swinging a little into the lane beside you. Case being, if you get together with a stupid 4 wheeler, you could be charged for making an improper turn. The button hook means you take the cab into what would be the oncoming lanes halfway thru the turn as your doglegging back. Here's a button hook:http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/u...odot_turns.jpg http://s1.hubimg.com/u/1524540_f260.jpg If traffic is an issue, wait till they move. If need be, park the truck in the middle of the intersection until they move enough out of your way to finish the turn.

Swinging into the lane beside you means your opening the door for 4 wheelers to attempt to slip thru and this is the end result:http://standardspeaker.com/polopoly_...3857056264.jpghttp://www.truckdriversnews.com/wp-c...n-accident.jpg
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 AM
Rookie

California law, right turn must be completed in the right lane. In other words a must complete the turn in the right lane. A truck can swing tractor in to left lane until trailer clears then must swing back right straightening up in the right lane, then Merge to let lane if need be. It is difficult on some streets, thus you got a warning and not a ticket (even though warnings are written sometimes they are nothing more than a written verbal warning so no points or csa)