User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naim215 View Post
Reckless driving in 1995 had a suspension for a yr but I failed to respond and when i did it was 2002.
I guess that is what you have from 15 years ago, and assuming (as I do) it was in your POV, I don't think that should be an issue. Whether to list it or not may depend on the wording of the application, but... since very FEW carriers pull that far back, you might "forget" about it. However... it might show up on a Criminal background check. MINE didn't. [Once again... Mom n pops don't care that much about old stuff.]

Still... we don't know about this more recent suspension.

I'm still trying to help. YOU'RE still avoiding our questions.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
Get a life you troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop being a key board commando! Just so you know, I PM'ed GMAN and told him that I can give as good as I get. To put a leash on you, yes you as a person. That message was for you my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been having some computer issues this week, so I have been a little slow to respond. I did read through the posts and saw nothing in hobo's posts which should be addressed. In this instance, you were the one who resorted to name calling. I understand that he can provoke the ire of some posters at times, including myself, he seems to only be trying to help the original poster. I did see that you were doing some provoking yourself in this situation. If hobo says something that you don't agree, just ignore the post. Tempers can flare at times, but there is no reason to personally attack or call other posters names. It is better to get away from the keyboard, take a few breaths and then come back later.

We have had some heated debates over the years. Most of the time we don't let it get our of control. There are times when they do. I rarely get involved to settle disputes. We all have an opinion and we can disagree with one another without getting into personal attacks and name calling. Most of the time we can settle things amongst ourselves. We can challenge the post without personal attacks or the name calling.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

As to the original poster. Most carriers will consider the date of conviction when looking at your mvr, not the date of the offense. I would make sure to read the wording of any application carefully and answer all questions truthfully. Smaller carriers will sometimes be more lenient when it comes to certain issues. Keep in mind, however, that insurance companies pretty much dictate whom we can hire.

Most reefer carriers do seem to keep drivers on the road for a couple of weeks or so. However, there are some who do manage to get drivers home weekly. There is a small carrier in north Georgia with about 60 trucks that runs reefers to the northwest and usually gets his teams home most weeks. They do run hard. My niece is married to another guy who owns a small reefer carrier and he also tries to get drivers home each week. I don't think that is the norm with most of the carriers, but they do exist. These are the only two that I am personally familiar.

Some carriers may have a problem with your suspension, but if things are as you presented them, I don't think that you will have too much of a problem finding a carrier. Each company has their own rules. Sometimes, it is a matter of knocking on enough doors until one opens. I have interviewed a lot of drivers over the years. Many have much more in their background that you have described. One suggestion that I would make to you is to pull a copy of your mvr to see what is on it. Having a copy to use on the application will help with your accuracy.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfg View Post
No, the age isn't a problem BUT your driving history sure is.

You're 38 y/o, you've had a suspension in the last 3 years and you want an employer to trust you with $150K in equipment plus their customer's valuable cargo that could go upto $500K.

You're 38 not 18 and maybe it's time that you acted your age and were more responsable.
Yes.So they can call him a true professional and give him unprofessional wages...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member

To the original poster. Two words, and a question. Frac Sand. Right now, that industry is hiring alot of drivers. I just got hired myself, and my brother been at for over 4 years, and really like his pay. Good place to start. Now for the question. Why do you want to be a truck driver? The only person you really have to answer that question for is yourself. I'll leave ya with this..... Many have over the years learned to drive a truck. Few turned into truck drivers.

To Dana. You can ask anyone on this board about me. Over the years, I did alot of stuff, including trashing and pissing off just about everyone here, and gotten banned. Twice. But over time, I learned just how valuable this board really is to all truck drivers, new and old. Alot of questions answered, alot of information obtained. I see that you are new, so be wise, and use this board, and those here for that purpose. I can only say that if you come here to stir the pot, you're not going to last, and soon enough, no-one will care what you have to say. And having a voice is a good thing. Don't screw it up.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Oohh... now I'm shakin' in my boots! Guess you didn't read Cluggy's post about how childish it is to "run to mama." In 8 years, I've only ONCE pm'd a mod.

Don't worry... he'll be here soon to settle this. But, I'm pretty sure that, if he reads my posts, he will see that I was on your side (at first.)

BTW.... the phrase is "keyboard RAMBO."
I posted that out of anger. Never really thought anyone would read it.

Now I got a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. I think I can get some medication for that.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 AM
Rookie

Did anyone ever answer this guy's question? If not, I'll try. Now. A few years ago I drove for this person for one day, just to fill in- long story short- no one told me that the truck was red tagged out of service the day before- I got hit with the tickets when the same DOT cop pulled me over and no repairs had been done! It was $800 to get my CDL back. I now have a "satisfied" suspension on my driving record until next year when it drops off. Rather than sit at home or got to work at McDonald's- I went to smaller companies that do belly dumps and such and found one that all they were concerned with was whether or not I could drive the truck! Putting aside all this other crap- if you have your CDL and can get the truck from point A to point B in relative safety to yourself and those around you- then maybe you could try the approach I took; couldn't hurt.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 AM
Rookie

Try to apply to Carolina Cargo or possibly Trans Am. Carolina Cargo has a reputation for helping people with legal issues get on the road. The pay is not that good, but you will gain experience and over time you'll be able to clear your name and find a better paying company. Trans Am is pretty relaxed as well from what I understand, a recruiter that came to my school was a recovering crack addict that had a pretty sketchy record. The pay is better, just be prepared to have a lease shoved down your throat after a while. Everything will work out, brother. Pray and be patient.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 AM
Rookie

I've been doing so,and today I received a call from Swift is it a good company???
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naim215 View Post
I've been doing so,and today I received a call from Swift is it a good company???
If they are willing to hire you when others won't then Swift is an ecellent company, otherwise there ok.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington