User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What Can I Do

Just getting out of school and no one is giving me a chance.I obtained my c class DLC in March of 2012 and went straight to school to get a CDL and I got my class a with a T endorsement in November of 2012.But I have a saspenion with in the last three yrs but I have on felonys DUI's nothing like that.Just need one chance what am I to do???????
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Senior Board Member

How old are you? The recent suspension is definitely not helping you, but your age could be a huge factor.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Senior Board Member

talk to your school, they may/should have placement assistance.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Rookie

Well I just turned 38 in December,what I'm to old?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by naim215 View Post
Well I just turned 38 in December,what I'm to old?
No, the age isn't a problem BUT your driving history sure is.

You're 38 y/o, you've had a suspension in the last 3 years and you want an employer to trust you with $150K in equipment plus their customer's valuable cargo that could go upto $500K.

You're 38 not 18 and maybe it's time that you acted your age and were more responsable.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Rookie

[QUOTE=mgfg;522883]No, the age isn't a problem BUT your driving history sure is.

You're 38 y/o, you've had a suspension in the last 3 years and you want an employer to trust you with $150K in equipment plus their customer's valuable cargo that could go upto $500K.

You're 38 not 18 and maybe it's time that you acted your age and were more responsable.[/

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Rookie

im in the same boat i got my cdl's when i was 18 but no local companys would hire me with no experience now im 23 and im trying to get into a truck but i got a speeding ticket in 10-2010 the state patrol clocked me passing a car but now im trying to find a job driving but no companies will hire me because i graduated driving school in 2007 and i dont have any experience and having a ticket doesnt help i wish there was i way i could get in a truck without going back to driving school but i dont have that kind of money to pay for it
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Just getting out of school and no one is giving me a chance.I obtained my c class DLC in March of 2012 and went straight to school to get a CDL and I got my class a with a T endorsement in November of 2012.But I have a saspenion with in the last three yrs but I have on felonys DUI's nothing like that.Just need one chance what am I to do???????
Hello Naim215. I truly do not think all is lost if you can still meet certain criteria. If it were me, and this is just my opinion, you need to find a local company and sit down and talk with them. Be very open, truthful and specific about the "Wheres and Whys" concerning your suspension. Without knowing what the suspension was for, my hands are kinda tied. If it was for unpaid tickets or even child support, that is much different then say, leaving the scene of an accident while intoxicated or doing 108 trying to evade the law. I think you can kinda get my meaning here. Everyone makes mistakes and it will have to depend on how you handle this matter, that will determine your future.

List the good features you can bring to their company. Tell them you are willing to go on a 6 month probation period. Tell them you will come in and practice pre-tripping every truck in their fleet, tell them you will be the first to arrive and the last to leave, tell them you will ride with them 30 days for free, tell them what ever you have to, THEN BACK IT UP WITH ACTIONS! Honesty goes a long way in this day and time. I wish you well. Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Well I just turned 38 in December,what I'm too old?
Not hardly, padawan! [I was gonna say "youngin'" but, it just didn't look right and then I got all confused with the different spelling options. ]

"I didn't even START truckin' till I was 48! [Spits 'bacca on the head of a stray dog with a baby tied around its neck...]

You wouldn't WANT to know what all was on MY record! ... but, I had no "active" suspensions or stuff. I guess we're just gonna HAVE to get some specifics on that "suspension." You said [no] DUI's or felonies. Well... good! This could be a LOT cheaper than I thought." LOL!

Seriously.... I don't see a MAJOR problem (depending on the specifics of that suspension.) and I'm pretty sure we can come up with some advice here on CAD (if we all take a step down from our pedestals.)

Malakai (I believe) was thinking maybe you were too young. We get lots of 20 somethings wanting to run from the law or whatever by going trucking... with a really BAD "mvr."

Repete, (I'm sure) was pretty right on with advice/question. Can you go back to the school for placement assistance? I know they told ME I could when I paid the money. [Well.... actually all of my conservative friends paid for it cuz I got Gubm't assistance for being a VET.]

MFG will have to speak for himself.

Really.... stick around, please. Tell us more, so we can help you more. [But notice one of my siglines.]

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Board Icon

Dana said:

Quote:
I truly do not think all is lost if you can still meet certain criteria. If it were me, and this is just my opinion, you need to find a local company and sit down and talk with them. Be very open, truthful and specific about the "Wheres and Whys" concerning your suspension.
They are OUT there. One of them had a special relationship (above board) with the school I went thru. If your record was clean enough (though not spotless,) they would take you on in what SOME here decry as 'team training.' Then... if you didn't mind being HOME every weekend, and getting lots of miles at "reasonable starting pay," ... you could make more money in your second month than MOST new drivers make in the first 3 months or more... if they didn't get "washed out" by the company they thought was "hiring" them.

Quote:
Without knowing what the suspension was for, my hands are kinda tied. If it was for unpaid tickets or even child support, that is much different then say,
What HE said... (I think Dana is a HE.)

Quote:
...leaving the scene of an accident while intoxicated... doing 108 trying to evade the law... (I think you can kinda get my meaning here. )
ROFLMAO! Hit me over the head with that citation a few more times, DANA... Not sure it has sunk in yet! .... "Mach 2 with my hair on fire!" LOL! [Sorry... addicted to speed!]

Quote:
Everyone makes mistakes and it will have to depend on how you handle this matter, that will determine your future.
Gotta say... extremely concise... but, BRILLIANT. Depending on YOUR age, and circumstance, you may have no idea how prescient and applicable that thought was! I could say that even when we think we are NOT making a mistake, BAD things can happen to ANY of us. But, as you say... it is how we HANDLE the matter that will determine our future. And I cannot stress enough how much these decisions DO 'determine' one's future.

Quote:
List the good features you can bring to their company. Tell them you are willing to go on a 6 month probation period. Tell them you will come in and practice pre-tripping every truck in their fleet, tell them you will be the first to arrive and the last to leave, tell them you will ride with them 30 days for free, tell them what ever you have to, THEN BACK IT UP WITH ACTIONS! Honesty goes a long way in this day and time. I wish you well. Good Luck!
Not disputing any of that, but.... MOST drivers want to start their careers with their dream of being "solo rider" on their metal beast. And most companies NEED a lot of these solo drivers. But, MANY of them have good paying "steady" contracts for longer runs that require TEAM trucks. TEAMS usually make more miles. TEAMS are in demand... hell, they pay $5k bonuses for us sometimes!

That "local" company that might talk to you, might well ask you if you will go TEAM.... cuz, the MONEY is in runs to the West Coast. And the produce "backhaul" that pays as much or MORE. If you can't make that decision right then, well... at least tell them you will put it at the TOP of your list (and talk to your wife or something about it.)

Welcome to CAD, NAIM215... now... explain your username before I go NUTS trying to figure it out! [yes... I know this is DANA's post.]

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.