User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

hey mud buggy

im new to the board, been otr for 4 yrs starting in 05, and now im local pulling doubles on night shift. if i were u i'd stay where your at. You get home everyday and youre doing 35 k a yr, which in my "earn your stripes period" i was lucky to make that OTR, with all the downtime and begging for loads out. I dont want to discourage you if you are really eager to try out the OTR life. But it is a Lifestyle, not just a driving job! smelly truck stops from all the urine soaked in the concrete, lot lizards beating on your window at 3am. spending half your check on food at the pilots and TA's. so pretty much your away from home 24 hrs a day up to 6 weeks at a time and all the expenses that go with it. Since you have so much time as a ready mix driver, try to find a local gig, or at least a regional to get ya home on weekends. just my opinion.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdowntx View Post
hey mud buggy

im new to the board, been otr for 4 yrs starting in 05, and now im local pulling doubles on night shift. if i were u i'd stay where your at. You get home everyday and youre doing 35 k a yr, which in my "earn your stripes period" i was lucky to make that OTR, with all the downtime and begging for loads out. I dont want to discourage you if you are really eager to try out the OTR life. But it is a Lifestyle, not just a driving job! smelly truck stops from all the urine soaked in the concrete, lot lizards beating on your window at 3am. spending half your check on food at the pilots and TA's. so pretty much your away from home 24 hrs a day up to 6 weeks at a time and all the expenses that go with it. Since you have so much time as a ready mix driver, try to find a local gig, or at least a regional to get ya home on weekends. just my opinion.
Why would you buy your food at the Tuckstops to begin with, those places are the biggest rip-off ever? I buy all my food, drinks and supplies at Wal-mart and the only time I go into any truckstop is to use the bathroom and get some ice for my drink. If a driver is spending half their paycheck at the truckstop, they must be spending more time there then keeping the left door shut and the wheels moving.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Rookie

Research companies, call the ones that sound good, talk the human resource person and introduce yourself and ask if anything is available. You're hoping for the answer "actually, something just became available". What you don't want to hear is "our ad is located at xyz, go there". You're trying to catch a good company hiring that don't do mass hirings (short-term work). Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

If your still looking, try hauling frac sand.

Good luck.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'