User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Concrete truck to OTR...I must be crazy!

Here's the story. Ive been a local Ready mix driver for almost 10 years now. Ive been pretty content with the job overall. Started back in 04 in with a small company in Central IL. This company didn't pay very much but I liked the job and did about 2 years with them. On to greener pastures. Moved my self to Chicagoland in 06 to join a union Ready mix company up there. I had resevations with moving to the city, being a small town country boy but heck they were gonna pay me about 2 1/2 times the hourly rate I was earning at the time, oh and all the benifits one could possibly want. Things were going really well in the great metropolis for quite awhile. Then the "Great Recesion" hits...dun dun dunnnn. I got about a 50% pay cut due to lack of hours. OUCHY! I really liked the company but you sure have to make quite a bit to get by in that city. The summer of 2010 I had to tuck my tail between my legs and move back to Central Il. I kind of wanted to do this anyway just never really felt at home in the city. Back in Cental IL i got myself on with a local union ready-mix company and have been there ever since.

So what's the problem you may ask? It basically boils down to this, I don't drive the truck much anymore. Lots of standing(litterally no sitting here) around waiting. And many other things that I will not bore you with. This company took all the "fun" outta being a ready mix driver. I know, I know play me a sad sad song. My dad, an otr guy himself, would rub his thumb and index finger together and ask "guess what this is" yep the world's smallest violein. HAHA. Your gonna just have to trust me on this one, the job sucks in a multitude of ways.

I've been eye balling the whole otr thing now for I would say 4-5 years. Seems like something I would enjoy. I am an only child, a natural loner, and am pretty damn good at entertaining myself. Hell, my idea of fun anymore is reading a good book or listening to one of many podcast or "jammin out" listening to radio. XM anyone? You see, I currently am not even allowed to have a radio in my truck....oh yeah no boring details sorry. I have a Class A CDL with no otr experience. I obtained this by upgading from a Class B back in 08. I was looking for some winter work and decided that it would be easier if I had a Class A. I went to a truck driving school to obtain an upgrade. It was roughly 2 weeks and 40 course hours. Nothing really paned out for finding winter work but I do have the big boy CDL now (minus the hazmat). My goal is to get otr by this winter. I currently make in the 30-35k yr. range. What is the possibilty of making this the first year? I know I have to put in my time being a newb but I would say, others will probably disagree here, that Im at least a Newb+. The operations part of driving the truck I think I would be good at. Not perfect but able to get "comfortable" pretty quick. Its all the other stuff log books, trip plaining that i am clueless about. (although I have been picking up bit and pieces thanks to the handy internet). So I do need some training time. My MVR is spotless. My criminal background is spotless.

So what do you think? Bueller?...Bueller? What's a good starting point if you were in my shoes?

If anyone has any question about being in a concrete truck just ask or send them my way. That is one area of expertise that could I lend anyone a helping hand on.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Asking questions here is your best start, and welcome to CAD. (Mud buggy... cool name)

IMHO, I think you are back where you belong, in the country, and with a good secure local job. You should take up hobby to keep from getting the urge to wanderlust.

OTR driving will suck more than the cake job you have now.
But being you have no ties, you can go live the trucker lifestyle, and you may very well enjoy it. I did, and many have as well.
We are just always shocked anyone would consider themselves willing to drive through the 7 circles of hell, if they don't really have to.

I think you would have to have some kind of refresher school training. Your driving experience although class A, won't be considered much on a National Co. OTR application.
You might hire on one of the local O/O OTR companies in your neighborhood, so maybe talk around with some of them, first.

BTW, it's okay being crazy, ... it's an OTR prerequisite. I'd put in on the application like a doctorate degree. Tell them you are a Road Scholar.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

First thing you are going to have to do is decide what you want to pull, flat, step, van, reefer etc. You are probably going to have to go with a 'training' company for a year to get some OTR logged. Visit a truck stop and talk to guys pulling different things and see what fits you then search the companies on here for the good the bad and the ugly.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Board Icon

Driving a concrete truck takes some talent with the tighter mixes when they try to climb the barrel while going down the road. You might like tankers if your interested in getting HAZMAT.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Senior Board Member

go listen to george jones or waylon jennings and harden up mate ,good things come to those that can wait ,that is hopefully that you not a muslim
Old 09-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Senior Board Member

You will be back in that mixer truck before its over with. Or wish you were anyway.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
You will be back in that mixer truck before its over with. Or wish you were anyway.
I drove a mixer before getting my class A....never again.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Driving a concrete truck takes some talent with the tighter mixes when they try to climb the barrel while going down the road. You might like tankers if your interested in getting HAZMAT.

Yep right hand turns are the scarry ones. But so is a lot of things with the job. "come on driver the ground isn't that soft to get behind that house" lol
Old 09-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post

Maybe your right. I would like some a/c and a radio for my listening pleasure. Only one way to find out!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Rookie

Some parts of the job are cake others are not. The summers are hot and dusty while the winters are cold wet and miserable. Oh and your always have your finger in your nose trying to pull cement and dirt out of it haha. I've talked to a couple of places. Think I maybe having a little trouble cause they can't get tuition money outta me. I would think i would be a better canidate than someone fresh outta school but maybe not. The search continues.