User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Going to try Team Driving

Leaving Tuesday Chicago to Seattle with a driver I haven't met yet. And this will be my first time through the Rockies in a truck. Am I nuts for trying this?

This is a dedicated run that they want me to try. I agreed to do it once but don't want to get stuck on it unless I think I can do it all winter. Any advice for winter driving across the Rockies would be greatly appreciated.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

You'll be fine this time of year. Might even be a pretty drive, if you get some fall color.

Thing about winter conditions is, the colder the better for traction. (sub-zero) Near freezing conditions are the slipperiest, and you have to drive slow, and give yourself a lot more time to stop. Keep more space between you and traffic. Don't grip the steering wheel too tight, relax, and get that knot out of your shoulders. You will have to just get out there and do it, to begin building some confidence. That actually is a plus for you. Beginners tend to go real easy, and seem more likely to remain in control.
Don't follow more experienced drivers. Drive at the pace you feel comfortable with, and don't let other drivers pressure you to drive faster. You have to decide for yourself, what your limitations are, and it's tough at first to face your nerves. Experienced drivers can get into trouble too, but might drive out of something you won't. Ask drivers about the conditions ahead on the CB. Many drivers do these routes all the time, and know the typical rough areas. Keep a close eye on the weather ahead. You can sometimes alter your route around a storm, but stay on major freeways.

If you ever feel conditions are too dangerous, park in the nearest safe place off the road, even an off ramp if you have to. It's better to call dispatch and tell them conditions are unsafe, and you are parked, until further notice, than to be calling them about a damaged load in the ditch.

Keep your lights cleaned off. LED lights will not get hot enough to melt the snow, so they get covered up a lot. If you get into white outs, use your hazard lights. Civilian traffic often depend on you to navigate, as you are the biggest and most visible object. Keep in mind also, you are kicking up an even bigger snow squall, so try to be as visible as you can.

Keep lots of windshield washer fluid on board. You will need it a lot, and put anti-gel fuel additive in when temps get below 20F. Don't let your fuel level get too low, because you never know if you might get parked for a day or two. Be prepared with spare winter clothing, food, water, also, a good Buck Hunting DVD collection, incase you are parked, to prevent the onset of cabin fever,...(thinking) or get online and pick a fight with Hobo.

Kitty litter; I've been backed up to a dock door and needed kitty litter once to get moving, because of ice. Knock off the ice build up on your rig, whenever you can. You have to watch it, you don't add too much ice weight, if you have scales to cross. It's easy to build up an extra 500 lbs of ice.

I like to keep my 5th wheel greased, especially if I'm crossing states like Wyoming, which has typical high cross winds. You get those winds on high chaparral areas, around the Continental divide.
Keep your axles balanced for best traction and braking. Take your engine brake off, or at the lowest setting. Slow steady braking, don't stab your brakes.

In sub-zero weather, don't shut down, unless you have an APU to keep your engine block and batteries warm. You will need to have chains on your rig, but don't worry about learning how to chain. If you are in conditions that require chaining, you park and wait, until they clear the roads and drop the mandatory chaining.

Keep some chap stick in cold weather, so your lips stay smooth as b-u-tter, and some aloe lotion to keep your skin s-u-pple.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Senior Board Member

His best piece of advice was the one that most new drivers won't do: If you're beyond your comfort level, park the truck. Period. Most new drivers are pressured to go beyond their limits and that's where they run into trouble. If your dispatcher doesn't like what you tell them on the phone, send it in a message via Qualcomm (or whatever satelite system you use). Something as simple as "Weather conditions are unsafe to proceed." I've been driving 12 years now and won't hesitate for a second to shut down to wait for better weather, no matter what the customer or dispatch has to say about it. It's my license that's on the line, as well as my life and those around me. No load is worth risking a major accident over.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks guys! I have no problem pulling over if I feel it isn't safe, and was told Co policy is to park if chain law is in effect.

I've only driven the Midwest until the last month or two, although I have driven Eastern Tenn (Cumberland) and last week Colorado so I'm working up to it before Winter gets here. :-)

I think I'll be ok. The guy I'll be teamed with lives in Seattle and has been on this account 3 years. The way it works is I drop him at home, deliver (3 stops paid hourly) take a night off then pick him and the reload up and head home. On the plus side, my sister lives an hour from Tacoma (my last drop) and is off work the 2 days I'll be there.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Board Icon

Snoqualmie Pass had me puckered and toes coming out the bottom of my boots once.
A storm can come on fast there, and be sloppy slush on the west side, and ice on the east side.

Last time I was in Tacoma, I remember the Pilot TS really sucks.
Hope you get to see your sister!
I got to see family from time to time along my routes as well.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Last week I delivered in Commerce City Wednesday but didn't reload til Thursday afternoon. Spent the night with two of my oldest friends. It was bittersweet . I spent 2 hours on the phone with their Mom on Wed. and made plans to meet her Thur after I picked up in Boulder. She never answered the phone when I called. Got the news in Cheyenne, she was killed in a car accident Thursday morning. I'm thankful I got to talk to her one last time, she and my mother were friends since the 1950's. Her son Joe and I were born 5 days apart and have been best friends since the womb. Marie still calls us the twins.

Abraham Lincoln

Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Board Icon

Bittersweet, indeed! Glad you got to talk with her, and my condolences to you and Joe.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh geez, thats too sad, very sorry. Good luck and keep us posted with your new gig
Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Board Icon

Sorry to hear about your friends' mom. I see you've gotten a lot of good advice for the Rockies. Got a good digital camera? You'll see scenery like never before. I have a cousin and his wife running team for ELITE CARRIERS out of Wausau, WI that have a weekly run to Vancouver, BC. If you're running the northern tip of Idaho, near the bottom of the grade on the east side of the state, there's an artisean spring with really good water if you carry water to make coffee. (I had a cheap, 12 volt coffee maker in the truck and that sure beat city water.) That would be easiest to get into when you're eastbound. At least there was a small pull-off when I was going through there.

Come to think of it, Lookout Pass where Idaho and Montana meet is high enough that you could hit some weather there now, already. I seem to remember that they do keep it pretty well salted when conditions warrant it. You shouldn't see any snow up there just yet, but frost is possible, and that can get a bit slick too if it settles on the road. Come to think of it, they use a "blend" of salt and cinders. I've gotten nics in my windshield from the cinders. But I envy you. I always enjoyed running up that way. Some of the most beautiful parts of the whole country, up that way... At least as far as I'm concerned.

Don't know what your starting point is, but looking at the truck stops at Monee, I'd be looking at 80 west to Council Bluffs, IA, then 29 north to Sioux Falls, SD. From there, 90 to Seatle. And, a good camera would be almost as essential as a GPS.

Good luck, Darlin', and enjoy the trip. Do yourself a favor and don't run off the road when "yer RUBBERNECKIN"...
If you would like a hint of what you're heading into.......
Road trips images | Road trips photos, Road trips photographs

Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm heartbroken but believe everything happens for a reason.

I am looking forward to seeing that part of the country again. I went to college in Missola and have gone back every chance I get. The mountains have always been where I go to heal my heart & soul.

I think I'll be ok driving, I'm a pretty cautious driver anyway. But I don't know how I'm gong to like sharing a truck or if I can sleep while its moving. Last week I was N of Denver and there were some nice gusts and hard rain coming across I 76 that woke me up a few times.

I won't know until I try. I talked to my old trainer who's been driving 16 years and she said she would never drive out there. Guess I'm not a wuss. ;-)

Abraham Lincoln