User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question New to truck driving

I'm interested in becoming a truck driver, I want to know how to get started?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Rookie

Get your CDL and do a lot of research on which companies you might like to work for.

CLICK TO DRIVE MAVERICK
Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plentygood View Post
Get your CDL and do a lot of research on which companies you might like to work for.

Yep, that's it more or less, mostly less Check around for a truck driveing school some local collages have them. Plan on spending about $4000. out of pocket. Some company's will pay you back on a weekly basis. Use a company paid school ONLY AS A LAST RESORT! Read a lot of the threads/post on here and learn. Good luck
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by plentygood View Post
Sorry but, that's not real good advice. NEVER pay for, or get, a CDL as the first move! 3 months after a rookie gets a CDL and has no job? He may have to start over!

Do the research FIRST! LOTS of it! Here on CAD and anywhere else you can find.

There are at LEAST 3 ways to fund the CDL training program. Investigate all of them and see which suits you or is available to you. [but don't do it until you're 1 month from "launching" on this career.

Learn about the Megacarriers and what they offer. Then, learn about the smaller companies and how they can help jumpstart your career (without many of the headaches!)

Decide what kind of driving you want to do... solo or team (or many other options)... and make a list of the pros and cons of EACH before deciding.

Search you soul and truthfully question if this is what you want to do. How committed are you? What is your plan for 5 or 10 years from now? What do you gain...what do you give up?

The smartest thing you've done so far is joining CAD and asking such a simple question. Now... search the archives, or just jump in on the current topics of what trucking is like!

Be willing to spend AT LEAST 6 months here on CAD and in researching the "trade" before you jump in or spend a dime!

You said you were "thinking about it." Tell me why? How old are you, what have you done previously? What makes you qualified and WHY are you thinking about it?

Driving a truck is NOT something people "do" because they can't find another job. It's not something one should do "on a lark." It's a hard life that pays pretty good (if you do it right.) But, see my sigline... it is NOT for WUSSES.

Looking forward to your SECOND post.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Last edited by golfhobo; 08-20-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Rookie

You scared him off Hobo.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Rookie

I have had my class A CDL with doubles and triples plus tanker endors. I currently work for a used oil company driving a 4000 gallon tandem axle tanker hauling used oil. I have 8-10 months driving a tractor trailer hauling grain and moving combines out west on wheat harvest 2 years ago plus i drove a lowboy moving heavy equipment for a short period of time. I have 2 years driving straight trucks including the oil tanker and previously dump trucks. I am very interested in driving over the road. It has been my dream ever since I was little. I would do anything to find a job doing this. I have done some research but it just almost seems impossible to get a job without the OTR experience. I also obtained my CDL by myself without schooling. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected]. I just signed up on this site so I'm not too familiar how it works yet.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Rookie

Hello, I had to reply to your post and hope this info can help you out. One thing you can do is go to a trucking school. BUT i wish i had done the following. Go to the DMV and get the book for commercial driving. read it. And go to roadwars.com and take the online test to help guide you. ( IT IS FREE AND AMAZING!) And at the DMV unless your superman. Take the test one at a time. You get 3 tries. I did one then one then another. I even paid a extra 66 bucks to the dmv to take my other test. The crap school i went to was a nightmare. They start talking to you. then run outside to chat with some HO as they call it. while your thinking WTF??!! Anyways all you dmv things first and get your permit. If you know someone or have a friend.. or make a friend that has a commercial class A to help you learn after you have your permit will help out a PLUS. so they can teach you your pretrip inspection correct the way DMV will want you to. I know am in the hole of 5,000 debit still to pay with this school and never learned ****.. THANK GOD TO A FRIENDS DAD WHO HELPED ME WHO IS A PRO AT COMMERCIAL DRIVING!! My **** school teacher, My FIRST day of driving a semi.. He left to go charge his phone because he was in a hot conversation about a hook up as he stated. Pick out the company you want to work for and talk with them. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE COMPANY!! Then ones the school wanted me to go to were crap. I found my own and it has been great!! Some trucking companies do have their own schools also. That would have been my other option as well. Just remember their are ALOT of people out their that promise you the world and give you nothing in return.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Rookie

Hello Everyone.. I am Amable dawn
In my opinion this thread is really very interesting about driving, because i love driving.. i learnt driving 3/4 years ago but in winters it is really tuff to drive a car. There are a lots of tips that we have to know. We can get the simple tips from many popular sites like 121driving.com
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Rookie

First go to a truck driving school or sign on with a company that will train you. Most company's will want you to stay with them at least one year to help pay for your training. Plan on not being home very much 1 or 2 days home every 2 weeks.You will have to make the truck your home. Life on the road is not for the weak and there are a lot of bumps in the road.

Best of luck
Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Senior Board Member