User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Parking at a Truck Stop

OK so we all know that parking is at a premium nearly all over the country right? If you dont get in to certain truck stops by 4 in the afternoon you wont find a spot. Here is my pet peeve for this month!

Why is it, that some of you drivers cant ever seem to park straight in your spot? I mean its not that difficult to put your rig down the middle and not be parked right on the line so the next guy cant back in is it? I see this over and over when searching for a place to park, some dim witt parks so crooked that you cant back in next to him for fear that when he leaves he will take your mirrors with them. Dont they teach newbies how to back in to a tight spot in trucking school anymore?

I recently tried to back in to a very tight spot, on a corner when I realized that the driver next to me ( Swift Truck) was crooked enough to not allow my tractor enough room to swing in, and the guy acroos form the spot, parked on the corner did not back up far enough so his tractor was sticking out too far (Snieder). So after a few tries I simply gave up, circled back around and found a spot right across from the spot I was trying to get in to.

I was entertained by 6 more drivers trying to get in to that same spot, I finally got on the radio and confronted the Swift Driver for parking crooked, after much denial on his part, he did move his truck over, and finally someone got Snieder to move back and walla, another Swift driver finally got in there for the night. I mean my rant has a reason, if we all took the time to park in the center of our spots, back in all the way in to your spot, then maybe we can fit more trucks in !

I think there is a way to make some side money by offering back in services at truck stops for in -experienced drivers. I mean it would teach the new guys how to properly back in without all of the over steering I see them do, and it would keep other trucks from being backed in to and causing damage (I see this all the time too).

What are your thoughts on this subject?

How can we, as drivers make an effort to make it better for everyone when it comes to parking?
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 08-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Senior Board Member

maybe some arent as experienced as others? maybe when one pulled in the one next to him also wasnt straight? are you one of those drivers that give other ***** about not backing in to a door on the first shot?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:38 PM

It's not that we can't park straight. We just get a kick out watching people like you have a fit.

Just kidding, I agree completely. Not something I lose sleep over but it is annoying.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Rookie

Truck Stop Parking Wars
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Rookie

In an Industry that has a high turnover rate it's not surprising to see lots of rookies all the time.

CLICK TO DRIVE MAVERICK
Old 08-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

My rant is when you're pulling up to back in and some smart ass pulls into the spot before you can back up. That's why I avoid the big chain stops whenever possible.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin View Post
My rant is when you're pulling up to back in and some smart ass pulls into the spot before you can back up. That's why I avoid the big chain stops whenever possible.
That's a good point!

CLICK TO DRIVE MAVERICK
Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin View Post
Jeez, how far are you pulling up?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Rookie

I learned many years ago that truck stops are a magnet for trouble, especially when it comes to parking. I got out of the truck in 2004 and even back then parking was crazy. I have never understood how it is that so many trucks are able to shut down at night like they do. I mean what are the odds? I started trucking in 1991, and watched the industry change drastically over the next decade. So much so in fact I got disgusted with things and left. I saw a driver take a baseball bat out on another driver at the Flying J in Ft Smith Ark. I saw two drivers have it out on the fuel island fist to cuff in Lima, Oh. I had a driver at the Petro in Florence SC try to start a fight with me because someone gave him a hard time on the CB because he ran over a trash can while trying to park. I was sitting in my seat reading a book, just relaxing, the guy tried to back in the NO PARKING area in front of me several times. I watched him run over a trash can, lodging it between his tandems.
I went back to my book. Later he pulled out and left I watched him drag that trash can a good way and he left. About 5 mins later I was blinded by his spot light on his rig. He was pointing to his radio, I turned it on to hear him calling me all sorts of names. He thought I was the one who gave him a hard time over hitting the trash cans. It wasn't too long after that I decided I was done trucking. I mean when trouble finds you while your just sitting reading a book, I would say things are pretty bad.
So I feel your pain when it comes to parking and dealing with the unprofessional drivers these days. It does seem that the trouble makers, and hot heads out number the professionals doesn't it?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Rookie

I've read several of your posts. I think you are an idiot, plain and simple!!