User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is USXPRESS experience looked down upon because of autoshift trans?

Do companies look at USX experience in a different light than others because they have auto shift transmissions where your not getting the experience in shifting that you usually need? Or do most companies not worry about it and/or just offer a refresher course in shifting?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It isn't just USX. If most of your driving experience is with an autoshift, you could face problems if you plan to switch to a carrier that has straight shift transmissions. I don''t know of any carriers that offer training or a refresher on shifting. You will usually be expected to know how to shift if you hold a CDL.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Board Icon

I don't know about "companies," but as a DRIVER I certainly DO. If I owned a company, I certainly would. Might as well connect a GPS to an autoshift and a "remote controlled camera" and have grandma supplement her Soc Sec income by sitting in the driver's seat while knitting ME a scarf!

From what I've seen.... I'll bet on Grandma to "bump the dock" in less tries!

Automation... Resignation.... Wussification... Pussification...

The entire ECONOMY depends on truckers.... and we are seeing the REAL ones phased out (through CSA2010 and other measures) in favor of the "downsized" college graduate who can "integrate" with the equipment of the future, and "follow the rules."

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 AM

My first job was with a company that used all autoshifts (not an automatic...rather a standard Eaton 10 speed which is computer controlled that uses a floor clutch). You could still upshift and downshift manually if you really wanted/needed to. I learned how to drive a manual at SAGE when I went to school. I accepted that job because within a year I was making 35cpm, they reimbursed me for school and I got 3 full days off for 9-10 days out (2 days off for 7-8 out). Seemed like a pretty good deal for new drivers....and it was. Anyway, I remembered how to drive a manual but had to become reacclimated to it. I worked there for 18 months until the economy tanked. Then, I was out of work for about 16 months looking for a new job. When I started the next job, I went out with a "trainer" for 2 weeks but had upshifting and downshifting down within a couple of hours. He slept in the back almost the whole time and collected my miles...(pretty typical). I told them ahead of time my situation (that I had 18 months experience and I learned how to drive a manual at school...but only drove with a company using autoshift transmissions). They said that was fine and they would work with me. At least, they knew ahead of time and it worked out fine...and I knew ahead of time what to expect, too. The rest of my experience since has been with a manual 10 speed. Best of luck!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I don't know about "companies," but as a DRIVER I certainly DO. If I owned a company, I certainly would. Might as well connect a GPS to an autoshift and a "remote controlled camera" and have grandma supplement her Soc Sec income by sitting in the driver's seat while knitting ME a scarf!

From what I've seen.... I'll bet on Grandma to "bump the dock" in less tries!

Automation... Resignation.... Wussification... Pussification...

The entire ECONOMY depends on truckers.... and we are seeing the REAL ones phased out (through CSA2010 and other measures) in favor of the "downsized" college graduate who can "integrate" with the equipment of the future, and "follow the rules."
That's a bit harsh! Try to help the guy out rather than castrate him. The main guts of the transmission is basically the same except it's controlled by a computer (rather than the driver physically moving a shifter and pushing in the clutch to change gears each time). If you understand how a transmission works (range, shift points, etc.), a monkey can shift a truck.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

how many ****ups you have driving auto cars then get in manual car and stall at lights haha it happens,would be not nice in a 44toner
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Board Icon

madaxeman said:

Quote:
That's a bit harsh! Try to help the guy out rather than castrate him.
You're probably right. Look at the time and date of my post. I'd been on line 5 for several hours already... and Santa hadn't brought my "gift" yet. To be honest? I thought I was in the "what about this company" thread ... and I was WARNING someone away from that company... not castrating him for having sold out to them in the first place. My apologies.

Quote:
The main guts of the transmission is basically the same except it's controlled by a computer...
I ain't no southern good ole boy mechanic... but, I'm pretty sure the guts of MOST transmissions are essentially "the same." And the very question here, is whether or not they should be "controlled" by a computer or a real Truck Driver.

Quote:
(rather than the driver physically moving a shifter and pushing in the clutch to change gears each time).
Heaven forbid!

Quote:
If you understand how a transmission works (range, shift points, etc.), a monkey can shift a truck.
I know that the "range" for a downshift on a hill that will allow me to maintain (or increase) speed will vary between an 8 spd, 10 spd, or 13 spd. And it will be based on horsepower, load weight and MY "timing." I also know that it can be affected by rev limiters and governors.

You might can train a monkey to shift a truck with ONE of those combinations (with enough time.) But, you won't train one to be able to adapt and shift any or all of them in a matter of minutes like a TRUCKER can! :moon:

And, if "I" was a company looking to hire a Truck Driver.... I'd hire one of ME before I'd hire a monkey... or a U.S. Express driver. [really, I mean ANY autoshift driver.]

Too harsh still? Sorry... it's the way I feel. And I believe it is the truth.

If you UNDERSTAND how the truth works... :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaxeman View Post
The main guts of the transmission is basically the same except it's controlled by a computer (rather than the driver physically moving a shifter and pushing in the clutch to change gears each time). If you understand how a transmission works (range, shift points, etc.), a monkey can shift a truck.
It's not THAT easy. I normally run a straight 6 speed, I climbed in several trucks that my brother oversee's that are a high/low 6 speed and an 18 speed. I found out real quick that it's a world of difference from what I'm used to. I cannot imagine going from an auto to a manual with 12 speeds+ to worry about. Now I picked it up rather quickly because I've only driven manual vehicles my whole driving life but for many it's not as easy your portraying.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 AM
Senior Board Member

because of our hilly terain auto transmisions in trucks are not so popular here with drivers who have them switiching to manual for hills and suburban areas
Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member

They may now, but USX is getting manuals again, so that perception could change... then again, if you still drive for them, you might find yourself with a manual and get said experience. Just remember how to properly use a clutch-brake... half our idiots at this all-manual company don't.