User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New driver any advice

I am getting ready to start my first Cdl job, i just got hired by Home Run Inc. As a new driver just out of Truck Driving School, what advice do you experienced drivers have for running flatbed? Also any advice for things I should keep in the truck with me as far as tools, or gear that will come in handy, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the advice,
Jeremy
Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Board Icon

Does Home Run now have sleeper trucks? Last I saw their trucks at Xmas they didn't so if it's still the same your going to have very little room for a lot of items. Get some coveralls, they don't HAVE to be insulated. Instead of your clothes getting dirty the coveralls will take the abuse, particularly when tarping or if you have to crawl under the load on the trailer. Make certain you got some gloves, again, don't have to be insulated gloves but they will protect your hands with the chains. If your going to be using snap binders, get a pipe to help give you that extra leverage you need for snapping them into place. You will have to determine your own length on it, I usually use a 4ft one. Keep an extra handful of bungees for the tarps, they do break and the last thing you want is to have the tarp flapping in the breeze because you don't have any extra bungees. Also look to get a quart of oil or squirt can with oil in it to keep with you for the binders or ratchets on the ratchet straps. They get dirty and grimy and become a headache if you don't have something to lube/oil them. Any weight or brand will work. Keep a hammer with you also.

Those are a few things I do even though I don't tarp at all. Certain some others will be along that can give you some more items to look into but once you get out there, you will find something that you wish you had with you. When that happens, start a list and when your home see what you can round up that will fit in the truck.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Rookie

They do have sleepers, I will be gone five days a week. But thank you for the advice I will definitely get those things before I hit the road.