User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
I have this exact problem. I was given enough grief over getting 2 ratchet binders to bring my allotment up to 4 total. I've since broke down to swiping 2 snap binders and 2 more chains from trucks that are sitting collecting dust. I have one particular piece of equipment that I haul in which I'm certain DOT will try to bust me for. Problem is, it's tied down to the exact specs that the manufactuer reccommends for it being tied down in order to not damage anything on it. In fact I carry the owner's manual with me when hauling it for when I am stopped at some point.
Mr. Ford would you mind telling me what kind of machine it is? I might be able to help you out with how to chain it down.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Board Icon

Ummm no thanks on the help, I already chain it down to the manufacturer's spec's which the manual states are DOT certified. It's a PowerCurber 5700 SuperB, it just looks funky how I have it strapped down due to the design of it at the rear hooks. Lemme see if I can get a pic to load of the left side:

It only weighs in at 24K but it's f-ing top heavy as heck. I have two chains on the front hooks, one on either side of the track and one chain on each rear track hook.

Last edited by Mr. Ford95; 07-01-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Mr. Ford it really dosen't look that bad. I've hauled a few of those and chain it nearly the same way. Hate having to load them as the tracks don't want to line up with the ramps on the lowboy. And if you slide the rear tracks so it will line up when you get it on the trailer and slide the track back in it always seems to tear a board up.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Is this to your liking.

Track-hoe 4 binders right tot he track. (no chain used) and a chain over the bucket.
This is the best pic i have.

AWD fork truck. 2 chains and a strap over the forks.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Board Icon

Well I don't have a pic of the right side with the right rear track, that's where it looks really funky. I have had a close call with it and the machine never budged, nearly turtled it after 2 spotters let me drop my right side trailer tires into a car swallowing hole while backing me into a jobsite. The one was staring right at it and telling me to keep on coming. My ramps can slide so it's no biggie on the tracks not lining up.

I do the same on the backhoe's Mack. Toss a strap over the back bucket and good to go.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:26 AM

Mackman, on a excavator that small there is nothing wrong with four binders hooked directly to the tracks and one chain and binder over the bucket. Forklift looks good. There is nothing wrong with using just two chains in that way as long as you have the four binders.

Just remeber that if you hook a binder directly to the machine the working load limit for the binder is cut in half. Like if you have a 3/8" binder rated at 9,500lbs when hooked direct it's only worth 4,750. Make sure though that you have atleast half the weight of the machine tied down as that is what is requierd by DOT.

Mr. Ford from what I can see of it that is one of the cleanest dump trucks I've ever seen.

Last edited by GPC; 07-03-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Just remeber that if you hook a binder directly to the machine the working load limit for the binder is cut in half. Like if you have a 3/8" binder rated at 9,500lbs when hooked direct it's only worth 4,750. Make sure though that you have atleast half the weight of the machine tied down as that is what is requierd by DOT.
3/8'' binders don't get a 9,500 lb rating, 1/2'' binders do.

Can you show in the load securement regs where attaching a binder directly to a machine reduces the wll by 50% please. I do it all the time and I have never heard of it nor have I had it brought to my attention by law enforcement.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfg View Post
3/8'' binders don't get a 9,500 lb rating, 1/2'' binders do.

Can you show in the load securement regs where attaching a binder directly to a machine reduces the wll by 50% please. I do it all the time and I have never heard of it nor have I had it brought to my attention by law enforcement.
Yeah you are part right. I've got binders that have a hook that will grab both a 3/8" and 1/2" chain they are rated at 9,500. Then I've got some that will hook to 1/2" and 5/8" chain and I belive they are rated at 13,000lbs.

Will try to find the securment regs for you.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Here we go.
Quote:
sect;393.106(d)
Quote:
a.Applicability. The rules in this section are applicable to the transportation of all types of articles of cargo, except commodities in bulk that lack structure or fixed shape (e.g., liquids, gases, grain, liquid concrete, sand, gravel, aggregates) and are transported in a tank, hopper, box or similar device that forms part of the structure of a commercial motor vehicle. The rules in this section apply to the cargo types covered by the commodity-specific rules of 393.116 through 393.136. The commodity-specific rules take precedence over the general requirements of this section when additional requirements are given for a commodity listed in those sections.
b.General. Cargo must be firmly immobilized or secured on or within a vehicle by structures of adequate strength, dunnage or dunnage bags, shoring bars, tiedowns or a combination of these.
c.Cargo placement and restraint.
1.Articles of cargo that are likely to roll must be restrained by chocks, wedges, a cradle or other equivalent means to prevent rolling. The means of preventing rolling must not be capable of becoming unintentionally unfastened or loose while the vehicle is in transit.
2.Articles or cargo placed beside each other and secured by transverse tiedowns must either:
i.Be placed in direct contact with each other, or
ii.Be prevented from shifting towards each other while in transit.
d.(d) Minimum strength of cargo securement devices and systems. The aggregate working load limit of any securement system used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half times the weight of the article or group of articles. The aggregate working load limit is the sum of:
1.One-half of the working load limit of each associated connector or attachment mechanism used to secure a part of the article of cargo to the vehicle; and
2.One-half of the working load limit for each end section of a tiedown that is attached to an anchor point.
Quote:
Issue 4: & sect;393.106(d) - Determining the aggregate working load limits for tiedowns.
Quote:
Agency Policy: The aggregate working load limit of tiedowns used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half times the weight of the article or group of articles. The aggregate working load limit is the sum of:

1.1. One-half the working load limit of each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle to an attachment point on an article of cargo; and
2.2. The working load limit for each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle, through, over or around the cargo and then attaches to another anchor point on the vehicle.
Discussion: Based on numerous telephone inquiries from FMCSA field offices, State enforcement agencies, and industry groups, FMCSA has determined that the intent of & sect;393.106(d) is not easily understood. During the notice-and-comment rulemaking process, the agency proposed certain requirements that would necessitate the distinction between what were referred to as " direct tiedowns " and " indirect tiedowns. " After reviewing the docket comments, the agency attempted to adopt a more straightforward approach for calculating the aggregate working load limit, while preserving the potential safety benefits of making the distinction between the two types of tiedowns. While the language in the Final Rule is easier to understand than the proposed rule, it is still not sufficiently clear. This policy provides an effective approach for adding working load limits for individual tiedowns in a cargo securement system, and yields the same answer as the current regulatory language.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-03-2011, 12:38 PM

This is the only picture I have of how I tie down evcavators. This John Deere weighed about 56,000Lbs.