User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flatbeds and Tiney Chains

Just wondering what it is with flatbed people and these 5/16" chains and pop binders when they haul equipment.

I've constantly see flatbeds and stepdecks around here hauling equipment with only 4 5/16" chains and if I'm lucky they might have one over the bucket or blade. Is it really that hard to put on a coupple extra chains?

Example. Coupple of weeks ago I was hauling a Cat 324DL excavator (aprox. 56,000lbs). I had 4 1/2" ratchet binders on the corners of the tracks, 2 3/8" grade 100 chains in a x pulling from the center to the front of the trailer, and two more 3/8" chains from the center of the machine in a x to the rear of the trailer, then one 3/8" grade 70 over the bucket.

A step deck pulls in next to me with the same machine minus the bucket. All he has is 2 5/16" chains from the front corners of the tracks to the fron of the trailer in a x and 2 more 5/16" in a x on the back. Also no oversize load sings on the back of the trailer and no flags. Not safe at all.

I see crap like this all the time with stepdecks and flatbeds even some lowboys and it's starting to pi** me off. And has me wondering how they don't get caught.issedoff:
Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am surprised that the other guy didn't get nailed for not having flags and signs. I assume that he was over width?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I am surprised that the other guy didn't get nailed for not having flags and signs. I assume that he was over width?
Yeah he was about 11' wide.

By no means is this a bash on all flatbed people. It just makes me mad when I see something like this it, seems I get stoped for a inspection about 5min later.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Flatbeds and Tiney Chains

Ignorance, lazy, and probably locals who think nothing will happen to them. In any case, hope a DOT bear gets 'em. BOL
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

At one time, I used to haul coils out of Sparrows Point. I used to see drivers pull 45,000+ pound coils with only 2 chains. I actually said something to a few of them. Their answer was usually similar. "I am only going to New Jersey" or "I am only going 100 miles." I usually put at least one more chain or strap than is necessary for the load. I remember once leaving that particular plant and had to lock my breaks down shortly after getting on I-95. I was so glad that I didn't do as those drivers and only have 2 chains on my load. I don't believe that 2 chains would have held my coil. I had 5 chains on the coil and it held just fine. I could not help but think that had one of those drivers been in the same situation that either them or an unsuspecting group of motorists could have been seriously hurt or killed. You can't have too much chain or straps on a load.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

One issue I can think of is the weight of the steel. The more weight you carry in chains, the less you can haul. I'd say that most drivers are company drivers. That means they're using the equipment that the company provides. When a company looks at the weight difference between having one exhaust stack and two, (and orders their trucks with one stack so they can haul 300 pounds more freight...) they also look at the weight difference between the different chains as well. And, on that basis, they also limit the number of chains a driver has. When pounds = bottom line, they're going to trim every corner they can.

On my truck, I carried 16 chains instead of 12 (and mine were half again as long as chains provided to company drivers), and I also had 20 binders (14 snap binders and 6 rachet binders, and I believe most companies provide one binder per chain). The 4 inch straps, which are much lighter, the companies may provide 14, and I carried 18 at the least. When the company supplies the equipment, most drivers have to make due with what the company gives them. And, often, the people that determine what will be on the truck for the driver to use have never even held a steering wheel, much less tried to secure a load.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 PM

I remember when I drove for Maverick. I had picked up some coils in Houston Texas. As I was going around the loop a Harris County DOT pulled me over. He said they were checking all flatbed loads. After checking my load and being happy with it.He said that a local driver was hauling steel coils and was only going 5 miles down the road,but the coils were tied down with rope. We are talking about a 40,000 lb.coil tied down with rope going down I-10 in Houston.Now that is stupid.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain binder View Post
I remember when I drove for Maverick. I had picked up some coils in Houston Texas. As I was going around the loop a Harris County DOT pulled me over. He said they were checking all flatbed loads. After checking my load and being happy with it.He said that a local driver was hauling steel coils and was only going 5 miles down the road,but the coils were tied down with rope. We are talking about a 40,000 lb.coil tied down with rope going down I-10 in Houston.Now that is stupid.
Care to take a guess just how many local drivers have had "incidents" with coils of wire and coils of steel in the Chicago area? For that matter, plain sheets of steel that didn't stay on the trailer. Lost coils that unrolled down the hiway, coils moving on the bed of the trailer, rigs rolled over on the get-off ramps. One coil of aluminum looked like a shiny metal air duct that stretched for nearly half a mile.

I'd say that most local drivers are good and competent. But, there always seems to be a handful that shouldn't be driving anything bigger than Tonka. Of course, the same holds true for OTR drivers too.

I even remember a broker that wasn't going to load me because I was pulling a step. Every step he loaded lost coils. I convinced him to load me, and took a picture of the load. When I got to the delivery, I took a pic again. I sent them both to him. No coil moved a fraction of an inch. I understand that after that, I was the only driver he would allow to get loaded with a step.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
One issue I can think of is the weight of the steel. The more weight you carry in chains, the less you can haul. I'd say that most drivers are company drivers. That means they're using the equipment that the company provides. When a company looks at the weight difference between having one exhaust stack and two, (and orders their trucks with one stack so they can haul 300 pounds more freight...) they also look at the weight difference between the different chains as well. And, on that basis, they also limit the number of chains a driver has. When pounds = bottom line, they're going to trim every corner they can.
Or put a 350 lb buffet buster behind the wheel.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I'd say that most drivers are company drivers. That means they're using the equipment that the company provides. When the company supplies the equipment, most drivers have to make due with what the company gives them. And, often, the people that determine what will be on the truck for the driver to use have never even held a steering wheel, much less tried to secure a load.
I have this exact problem. I was given enough grief over getting 2 ratchet binders to bring my allotment up to 4 total. I've since broke down to swiping 2 snap binders and 2 more chains from trucks that are sitting collecting dust. I have one particular piece of equipment that I haul in which I'm certain DOT will try to bust me for. Problem is, it's tied down to the exact specs that the manufactuer reccommends for it being tied down in order to not damage anything on it. In fact I carry the owner's manual with me when hauling it for when I am stopped at some point.