User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Freightwhiner and Intertrashinal are my least favorites.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan View Post
Ironically, Mackman, now that I've driven my first Mack tractor, I have to say I'll drive anything but. I have no idea what model of Mack we have over here at R+L, but everybody warned me not to drive one if I could avoid it. Now I know why.

The truck looked like so many good ideas that just went wrong, it was tragic. The ride was supposed to be comfortable, but it was squishy. The controls were supposed to be friendly, but I still have no idea what the circle with the X through it button was supposed to do (differential lock, maybe?), and it took me forever to find the mirror heat. It was supposed to be quiet, but that just meant I had no idea what the engine was doing, and I kept lugging waaaay down on hills.

The absolute worst thing was the brake pedal. I've driven Peterbilts, Volvo's, Freightliners, Kenworths, Internationals, GMCs, and even a Ford or two. They all have the same brake pedal, in the same place, that works the same way. That stupid Mack had a completely different pedal in a different place for some reason, and I don't know how many times I missed it trying to slow down. It's even worse than the stupid oversized foot-shaped Kenworth fuel pedal, which, until now, I thought was the most brain damaged invention in the history of trucking.

I'm glad to be out of that thing in one piece, and I'm going to lose my Mack key. Internationals aren't exactly luxury rides, but at least they put the controls in sensible places, and they're safe to drive for normal humans who don't drive these idiotic Mack things all the time.

I guess you'd be just the opposite, and you'd be a danger to women and children everywhere if we put you in a normal truck. Sorry about that, neighbor. Different strokes and all that...
LOL sorry I'm just now reading this. Let me answer your 1st question.

I still have no idea what the circle with the X through it button was supposed to do (differential lock, maybe?),
It is the engine shut down override. If your buzzer comes on with the red light on the dash if you hold that switch down it will override the auto shutdown for 30sec. to get the truck off to the side of the road etc.

I been around peterbilts, IHs and Macks. out of them all i love my macks. They are good strong trucks. Yes they have went down hill alittle since volvo bought them out. But overall i still think they are a great truck. Your right to each their own i guess. But when it comes to straight trucks Mack is the #1 seller.

BTW since 2003 all Mack cabs are the same on the inside. So the CV, CH,CL etc all use the same cabs. Just different hoods.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Last edited by Mackman; 05-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:27 AM
PA
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

2010 Volvo leaks everywhere but only when it rains.
Needs more pull going up and more jake coming down.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA View Post
2010 Volvo leaks everywhere but only when it rains.
Needs more pull going up and more jake coming down.
that has been passed on to macks by volvo as well ,mack a budget version of a not very good volvo ,pure bred american only way to go.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
HAHA.. I thought my wife and I were the only ones to use that term. It felt to me like it was just rushed thorugh production and not put together very well. I don't know how many bolts I had to threadlock because they kept backing out. The batteries also died quick.. or the charging system didn't work well.

I love my Volvo 780 tho. I have the volvo engine and could do without (especially since I keep getting a "Check Engine Fault code popping up randomly and the Volvo guys can't figure out why) but otherwise you can't beat the comfort in this thing.
Well, as of now, y'all are the only others I've known to use that term. I never had the battery problem, but both the Detroit's alternator and the Carrier APU's alternator worked fine. I also didn't have the bolt issue (but then again, bolts don't tend to back that far off in 4 days).
As for the Volvo, one of the Ruan drivers here at DG has had that problem in his Volvo with a D13. Then again, my Cat C-15 has had a Check Engine light on since I got it a year ago. So far, it's performed just like it should.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I dont like anything thats NOT a Mack. The reasons are cuz its NOT a Mack.:thumbsup:
After spending plenty of days with my foot to the floor, begging to crack 45mph before I have to get into the left lanes and join I-96 westbound, I can't approve this message. Don't even get me started on the constant regen problems, the uncomfortable seats, or the fact that I damned near get tossed out of my seat every time I hit a bump.

That bulldog on the hood is pretty cool though.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan View Post
..The controls were supposed to be friendly, but I still have no idea what the circle with the X through it button was supposed to do (differential lock, maybe?)...
The diff lock is a picture of a pair of axles with an X in the middle.

Our trucks shut down after idling for three minutes or so. When the 'idle shutdown' warning comes on, a light appears on the dash with that circle-X crap. We have to step on the gas for a second to keep the truck running. Our day cabs don't have that circle-X button, but we have a couple of sleeper cabs for overnight runs. When the idle shutdown warning comes on in one of those, we can prevent it by pressing that button. I assume we're talking about the same button here (sort of a circular arrow with an X through it). I'm fairly confident that we are talking about the same POS trucks. 2010 models we drive. Low mileage. Well maintained. Absolute garbage.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Rookie

I don't like Fargo and Dempster because of the design and performance as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Any trucks that's not aerodynamic belongs in the Stone Age. Unless you're a company driver and you don't give a darn about your fuel expense, choose a truck with low aero resistance. I am now pretty happy with my paid-for 2004 International 9400. It has lots of power due to the dyno-tuned CAT C15 (550 HP) and I now drive ver-r-r-y slow, thanks to the new 3.58 axle ratio.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Any trucks that's not aerodynamic belongs in the Stone Age. Unless you're a company driver and you don't give a darn about your fuel expense, choose a truck with low aero resistance. I am now pretty happy with my paid-for 2004 International 9400. It has lots of power due to the dyno-tuned CAT C15 (550 HP) and I now drive ver-r-r-y slow, thanks to the new 3.58 axle ratio.
I get less then 5MPG and make out just fine. If you have to have an aero truck to make money then you are doing something F-ed up.

I would rather have a large car and loss alittle bit of MPG then ever buy an aero truck.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug