User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Kind of Grizzly . .

Yellow meets England on I-65 nw of Indy. Interstate Reopens Hours After Fatal Crash - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

England says he had been on and then came off the shoulder with his flashers on, then accelerated to 40 when Yellow hit him. The Cops don't yet know but I'd guess Yellow was on the high side of 55-65 and who knows why he didn't see and/or couldn't slow/move over for England.

Look at the pictures. I'm having a hard time accepting that England and Yellow doubles would have all stopped straight as an arrow under those circumstances. I'm not disagreeing but it doesn't compute with me.

Any theories from our panel of experts?

Noobs need to know:

Shoulders are marked "EMERGENCY STOPPING ONLY" and map reading does not constitute an emergency. It's very likely the England driver will be ticketed for this.

My employer would fire me for any incident arising out of a non-emergency shoulder stop.

There'll be a lawsuit as a result of this. The Yellow driver has already lost everything and I doubt the England driver will fare much better.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

There's no way that England truck was doing 40mph. From the damage to the Yellow tractor, who was probably doing 65, England MAY have been doing 5-10mph.

RIP driver
Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

I'd almost be tempted to speculate that the England driver was new, or it was a trainer talking to a student...not paying attention to what the heck he was doing.... He probably didn't get up to 40.... More than likely he whipped the truck off the shoulder into the slow lane without accelerating on the shoulder then "safely merging" into traffic. If he had, then it is highly likely that the accident would have never happened.

I've had people in cars and trucks who were sitting on the shoulder just up and whip out into the lane in front of me without so much as care in the world. Not a look in the mirror, no turn signal, nothing...just whip it out there and then take their sweet time getting up to speed. That's why I always change lanes when there is a vehicle on the shoulder...

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Living by CRE's training center, and being an ex-MCI myself, England is at fault. Unless he was on the shoulder for a failure/emergency such as tire, engine or fire, this accident would never have occured if he had properly stopped at an approved location and not on the shoulder. Judging by the pic, CRE was traveling at maybe 15mph at most, and YRC probably didnt have time to move over. Sad story

Now being bias since I live just a few miles from CRE training center (it's a nightmare) I also would speculate he DID NOT have his emergency flashers on, more likely his turn-signals. The YRC driver had over 35yrs driving experience (I'm speculatiing but shince he was 60 and they are union) and the CRE driver was prob a trainee or less than 1yr experience.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
There's no way that England truck was doing 40mph. From the damage to the Yellow tractor, who was probably doing 65, England MAY have been doing 5-10mph.

RIP driver
I'm inclined to agree with you and the 2 posts that follow yours . . but I'm still having the same problem. The Yellow truck says a lot of speed regardless of how fast England was going. The fact that they stopped in line, laser straight is the part I'm having trouble with. Why didn't at least one Yellow trailer jackknife or roll? Do you think the England trailer "caught him" like a mitt and then pulled him to a straight stop?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Kind of...

It does look like YRC was "caught like in a mitt". Does the back of the England trailer say "training driver"? So sad. BOL
Old 01-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Board Icon

Yea, that England truck was not moving at no 40 mph, if it had been then it wouldn't have been fatal. Why didn't Yellow see him? May have been that he had another truck in front of him who moved over at the last second when they realized what was going on and Yellow was left hanging with no place to go and no time to react.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Board Icon

Couple of questions and observations.

The story never said it was a C R England driver. That tractor doesn't look like the normal cheap England power unit. An O/O team hauling an England load maybe? [Not saying it wasn't an England O/O team. Owner was probably the one in the bunk.]

Yellow driver MUST have seen him with some amount of warning. He appears to have been trying to either "ditch it" or pass him on the shoulder. If you look at the pictures in the slideshow.... BOTH trucks are in line ON THE SHOULDER. (Two lane interstate..... cones on middle dividing line, left tires of both trucks "just" left of fogline and "maybe" slightly angling to the right! Did England see him and try to get BACK to the shoulder just as Yellow was trying for the shoulder?

They say there was a hill. Yellow probably wasn't doing over 55, especially if HE had intended to take the upcoming exit. England should have known his route BEFORE he got to that interchange! And should NEVER stop "just over a hill!"
Old 01-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes, YRC deff drove "into" the rear of the truck and they were joined from that point on, so as CRE drove to the shoulder, he just pulled the YRC truck as if it was a set of pups explaining why they are in a line.

The CRE driver will most likely be found at fault as you are not legally allowed to stop on the shoulder, plus I am going to guess he was in violation somehow (the DOT will find SOMETHING) and I can gurrantee YRC will file a BIG lawsuit against CRE, and hopefully it will be so large the company will go out of business (doubt we would get so lucky tho)
Old 01-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Yea, that England truck was not moving at no 40 mph, if it had been then it wouldn't have been fatal. Why didn't Yellow see him? May have been that he had another truck in front of him who moved over at the last second when they realized what was going on and Yellow was left hanging with no place to go and no time to react.
I always wonder how some drivers can run 60mph 30ft off the bumper in front of them.