User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunker View Post
I always wonder how some drivers can run 60mph 30ft off the bumper in front of them.
I agree Clunker. And I almost mentioned this. I call it the "Elephant Train." But, I don't see that this was definitively the answer to this situation. "IF" another driver had been involved, he would have stopped or been "mentioned" by now. I don't know WHY the Yellow driver didn't go LEFT. Maybe, there were cars there that didn't even realize what was happening. But, we should have heard from them by now.

I suspect there are DOT cams that will show what actually happened. IF we ever get to see them.

You will NEVER hear of the Hobo being involved in an accident like this. I don't run "right lane" unless I'm holding up traffic (I can DO 70) and I don't sniff elephant farts!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
You will NEVER hear of the Hobo being involved in an accident like this. I don't run "right lane" unless I'm holding up traffic (I can DO 70) and I don't sniff elephant farts!
Hobo, knock on wood man. Just when you think this will never happen to you, something crazy can happen and you get caught up in something like this in several different ways.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Hobo, knock on wood man. Just when you think this will never happen to you, something crazy can happen and you get caught up in something like this in several different ways.
I KNOW what you are saying, my friend, and I DO think about it ALL the time. I've said before, I get PAID to be "on the job" 10 - 14 hours a day! I stay OFF the phone. I check my mirrors constantly. I listen to my truck. I keep my distance. But, that doesn't mean I follow RIGHT BEHIND another truck JUST because we are both doing the SAME mph.... or because there is traffic in the lane to my left. I ALWAYS keep an out! I stay BACK if I can't be in the middle lane by myself! I move right ONLY for faster trucks or LOTS of faster traffic. One or two cars? They can pass me left or right... I don't care! I am WATCHING them! Usually, I am going faster than them.

IF.... and that would never happen.... I had to drive a truck governed at the "usual" speed of 62 -65.... I would find a place to "settle in" and follow... but NOT SO CLOSE that I can't see what is ahead! I CANNOT drive that way! TOO dangerous.... and TOO boring! I believe that these "boring" speed limits and governors lead to MANY if not most of the "truck related" accidents. I don't plan to EVER be part of that problem!

I cross bridges over water in the LEFT lane, because a right steer "blowout" could take me OVER THE EDGE if I were in the RIGHT lane! I don't CARE what some 4wheeler behind me THINKS.... he doesn't KNOW what I know!

He's on his way to the mall, or grandma's. I'm ON THE JOB.

Knock on wood? If I thought that would help, I'd do it EVERY day before driving! This is not a "crapshoot." This is not a game. This is our lives.... and those around us.

People can think what they want of me but, I am the most careful, conscientious, respectful, and "attentive" driver I know of.... who isn't scared to death of the machine he is in control of! I can drive a RIG like some people drive a CAR. And yes.... I KNOW it takes longer to STOP one if you find yourself in that position! I just try to stay OUT of those "positions."

Thanks for your concern, though. And I return it to you with sincerety. I hope I NEVER hear of someone on CAD being involved in such an accident. Sabine remains on my mind and my heart forever. As do ALL of you!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm in one of the slowpoke governed trucks. I'm at the same speed as a huge majority of other trucks on the road now. But, as stated before, I don't tailgate anyone, ever. I like to see 2-3 trucklength between me and the vehicle in front of me. I also move out of the right lane if there's ANYTHING on the shoulder. I've had too many idiots pull out in front of me. The same goes for entrance ramps. I don't care if it causes someone else to have to slow down for a few seconds - I'm not going to put my wife and myself at risk because some moron is trying to remember if they got everything they needed to pick up at Wal Mart. When it comes to bad weather, I drive what I feel comfortable with. As soon as it "doesn't feel right", I park - no questions asked. The load will get there late, but it will get there in one piece.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Golfhobo, no offense but your way of thinking is deff not professional.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
Golfhobo, no offense but your way of thinking is deff not professional.
No offense taken. And just WHAT part of what I said brings you to that conclusion?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I believe that these "boring" speed limits and governors lead to MANY if not most of the "truck related" accidents.
I can't argue that point . . but I will if I can find some statistics to back it up. Speed absolutely makes for more severe accidents but you're postulating frequency, correct?

For now, I'll say your observation is as much a matter of perception as anything else. My perception is completely the opposite. I'd say the vast majority of wrecks I've encountered involve companies I don't recognize, FEDEX and UPS excepted. My prejudice is probably based on my assumption that, if I don't recognize the company, the truck isn't governed, at least not as slow as mine. Conversely, I almost always recognize the trucks I pass.

You've said yourself that when you encounter a Swift, for example, you pretty well know what you have to contend with. I agree with that. I'm a lot more concerned with the containers and fuel yankers and especially the seasonal rock, trash and farm haulers who clearly have little experience yet drive some of the fastest trucks on the road. I like the slow lane and the fact that I'm out of the race before it ever gets started. I see more, I relax more and by default or not, I always have more time to react.

Back to the wreck at hand; does anyone know how England (the Company) would treat these guys? I think it's fair to assume it's a fleeced with a student but have no idea who was driving. Would England fire a student or terminate a fleece in a situation like this? I'm guessing that, under these circumstances, the driver drives no more. While that may be his just desserts, if the Yellow driver had lived, he'd have a lot of explaining to do. I'm judging him a.) severely distracted b.) medically incapacitated c.) sound asleep or d.) dead before he hit England. There is simply no excuse for not seeing, braking and/or avoiding England.

Last edited by ilikeike; 01-17-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Board Icon

I think we're missing that this took place just before 5 am, which means it's still dark out...........could the England trucks lights been out? Nothing in the article states whether or not he had his flashers or turn signals on or any lights for that matter.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't run "right lane" unless I'm holding up traffic (I can DO 70) and I don't sniff elephant farts!
Well if you see me get out of the left lane. Cuz there are still some trucks out there that can do well past 70. You slow poke. lol

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Rookie

Couple of points to ponder:

The driver that pulled off the shoulder can always say that he "thought" something was wrong with his truck. The truck was sputtering, or he heard a noise and thought a tire blew out. That would clear him for pulling off the road.

In every type of rear end collision, it is the driver's fault who hit the vehicle. The law states you must have "total control" of your vehicle at all times. Heck, the vehicle in front of you might slam on his brakes. If you rear-end him, it is your fault. Failure to maintain control of the vehicle.

I know there are other variables that can be thrown in, but speaking from a legal, and insurance point of view, the driver who hits the vehicle in the rear is always at fault.

Always maintain proper following distance. Try to give yourself an "out". If you can change lanes safely, avoid vehicles on the shoulder.