User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Learning to drive....can anyone help me out?

Hi guys:

I know I might be asking the impossible, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I had an interview yesterday for an office position. Interview went really well. The only issue is I don't have my CDL...which I would love to get. I'd need my CDL not to drive full time, but only because every employee of the company is required to have one to conduct new-driver road tests.

They said they know they are hiring those without CDLs, and expect to train them, but I'd really like to come out of the box fighting and have every possible advantage. I want to show these guys that I'm capable.

I've driven bobtail for Ryder throughout their yards from 2007-2010 just moving tractors around, bringing tractors into the shop, so I'm pretty familiar with how they operate.

Here's what I'd like to ask...are there any truck drivers here who would consider giving me some practice with hooking/unhooking, backing, and making turns? As far as turns go, my thought is we could use deformable orange cones to represent other cars/obstacles that way your truck, and no other property would be damaged, so there would be no liability. I'll pay for all incidentals and fuel.

If anyone here is willing or has suggestions, please hit me up. Thought about going to truck driving school, but its over $5,000, and I don't want to hit the company up with such a huge expense right when I come aboard, IF they give me the job, nor do I have the cash.

Thanks fellas. Please let me know.

Erick
Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Board Regular

It's understandable that you'd want to sort of "pre-qualify" yourself for the job. The problem is that many folks wouldn't be willing to incur either the risk or the expense of having an untrained person operate their rig. One mistake could get outrageously expensive, and since you didn't have ANY investment in it, you could just walk away--leaving them with the headache...not saying you would.
The training schools really are expensive, especially for such limited usage as you've mentioned (road testing), so I don't blame you for not wanting to go that route. Have you considered speaking with the company for whom you'd be working? Although company policy requires that all employees have a CDL, it's probably not that likely that you'll be pulled away to do any real road testing---since you wouldn't know what to look for! Maybe you could mention your desire to learn to the Hiring Manager--that person could possibly arrange for you to get some time in the yard? Your simple desire to learn shows that you have drive, and initiative--good things!
Either way, good luck with landing your new job. You seem sort of "amped" about it. That's cool to see!
Jewels
Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Rookie

When I'm really passionate about something, I tend to go at it full force. I figured that most people wouldn't want to incur the risk/liability, that's why I was wondering if it would be possible to do something like this over the weekend, in an empty lot or somewhere else where the risk of an incident would be a non issue. I was thinking that we could use those rubber cones to represent "real-world" obstacles/other cars, so that way if something does happen, the cones are disposable, and no physical damage done.

The hiring manager made it very clear that I WOULD be doing road tests, so I have to make sure I'm 100% fluent. Someone's job depends on my decision whether or not to move them along in the process. We've all had bosses that know dick about their jobs, or yours, and for me to say whether or not these drivers are qualified would be stupid when I have little/no road time. I want to be on a level playing field, or a step above the drivers I have to take on road tests. These trucking schools that I've talked to haven't really given me anything I couldn't have figured out on my own. It seems these recruiters (Sage, Progressive) have no road time. They just repeat what I've read on their website. I need real world experience, and I'm not going to invest, nor have the company invest in something that is not going to yield results.

Just trying to think of all my available options that are the most cost effective and efficient. No one wants to spend an exorbent amount of money if they don't have to.

Thanks for your reply. I'm hopeful to find someone that could show me the ropes. I totally understand your hesitation, and if anyone does decide to move forward with this, we'll talk at great length before I get behind the wheel of your truck. I want you to be 100% comfortable with me, and I want to be 100% comfortable with you.

Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelsnTools View Post
It's understandable that you'd want to sort of "pre-qualify" yourself for the job. The problem is that many folks wouldn't be willing to incur either the risk or the expense of having an untrained person operate their rig. One mistake could get outrageously expensive, and since you didn't have ANY investment in it, you could just walk away--leaving them with the headache...not saying you would.
The training schools really are expensive, especially for such limited usage as you've mentioned (road testing), so I don't blame you for not wanting to go that route. Have you considered speaking with the company for whom you'd be working? Although company policy requires that all employees have a CDL, it's probably not that likely that you'll be pulled away to do any real road testing---since you wouldn't know what to look for! Maybe you could mention your desire to learn to the Hiring Manager--that person could possibly arrange for you to get some time in the yard? Your simple desire to learn shows that you have drive, and initiative--good things!
Either way, good luck with landing your new job. You seem sort of "amped" about it. That's cool to see!
Jewels
Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member

What kind of company would have somebody doing road test that knows nothing about driving? :smokin:
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Rookie

Just got a call, they found someone more qualified. Thanks for those that offered help.

Erick

Last edited by peterbilt; 11-18-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
What kind of company would have somebody doing road test that knows nothing about driving? :smokin:
Yea, what he said! :-)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Rookie

freebirdrfd and Luzon: If you don't have anything useful to add, please don't. I came here looking for assistance in this process.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have seen a few places that advertise that they will rent trucks to take the CDL test. I have no idea what they require or charge. Without any experience your options will be limited. You may be able to bobtail around a parking lot but it is much different when you add a 53' trailer behind you. I would not go to the expense of getting a CDL unless you plan on driving for a living. You could check with some local community colleges or vocational schools and possibly get financial aid. If you would like to get your CDL at no charge there are carriers who will train you but will require a work commitment, usually about 1 year. Most carriers will not hire newly licensed drivers who don't have either some work experience or a minimum amount of seat time at a certified driving school.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Rookie

Well, I didn't get the job I was hoping for. They hired someone with 9 years recruiting experience, which was what I was going for. So, right now, merely bobtailing around a parking lot would be fun, but really wouldn't count for anything. I know how to do that already, as I did it at Ryder for 3 years. Thanks for your reply.

Erick
Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbilt View Post
freebirdrfd and Luzon: If you don't have anything useful to add, please don't. I came here looking for assistance in this process.
How "useful" is somebody giving road tests that doesn't know anything about road tests???????? I would think that somebody with experience would be "useful". We said nothing about you personally.