User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 02:32 AM
PA
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Talking Who is the second best cell phone service?

My contract is up for a two year renew with Verizon. May be a good time to look around.
Might even get a smart phone. I drive northeast region plus Canada.

So what service do some of you drivers have and why?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I always had good luck with at&t.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I have verizon. I
Old 09-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Senior Board Member

I have verizon. I think it is the best. my rate is very competitive. I could get a cheaper rate, but not the service I get with V. I remember a while back, while unloading at a job sight in the wood's with 8 other trucks & 6 of the 8 trucks were leased to the same co as me. even though I was not the first one unloaded, I got the first reload out cause none of the other drivers cell phone could get out. mine could, so gone I was
Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I've been with Sprint for over 6 years now. I love them. Just got my EVO, with the unlimited data plan. The phone now also provides unlimited internet to my laptop with the phone's Wi-Fi hotspot feature.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have been with Sprint for about 10 years. I will likely be leaving when my contract is up. The main reason is that they have started charging a $5 on one of my accounts unless I allow them to go in and take money our of my account each month. I find it interesting that the other two accounts don't have the same fee attached. I pay about $111/month with sales tax and all the other charges they add to the bill. I am thinking about going with a smart phone. It is about half what I am now paying and uses Verizon's towers. It is a prepaid phone, but I will pay the bill anyway so it really doesn't make any difference. There are a lot of extra charges that appear on my monthly Sprint bill that I would not be charged should I switch to the smart phone. My wife's contract is up so we will probably try it and if it works well then we may switch the other two accounts. I am tired of being ripped off by Sprint. The service has been pretty good, but I refuse to pay a higher rate just because I won't give them access to my bank account. By the way unlimited nationwide coverage for the smart phone is $45/month plus sales tax. From what I understand there are no extra charges involved.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I have been with Sprint for about 10 years. I will likely be leaving when my contract is up. The main reason is that they have started charging a $5 on one of my accounts unless I allow them to go in and take money our of my account each month. I find it interesting that the other two accounts don't have the same fee attached. I pay about $111/month with sales tax and all the other charges they add to the bill. I am thinking about going with a smart phone. It is about half what I am now paying and uses Verizon's towers. It is a prepaid phone, but I will pay the bill anyway so it really doesn't make any difference. There are a lot of extra charges that appear on my monthly Sprint bill that I would not be charged should I switch to the smart phone. My wife's contract is up so we will probably try it and if it works well then we may switch the other two accounts. I am tired of being ripped off by Sprint. The service has been pretty good, but I refuse to pay a higher rate just because I won't give them access to my bank account. By the way unlimited nationwide coverage for the smart phone is $45/month plus sales tax. From what I understand there are no extra charges involved.
The EVO is a great phone from what I see so far. It's an Android based phone, so there's plenty of apps out there that'll come in handy, especially the navigation. I'm also waiting for CoPilot Truck for the Android.

My plan is $129/month for 1500 shared minutes with my wife's phone (which is free). It has unlimited text & data (as mentioned above). Also, nights and weekends are free, as well as calling ANY mobile phone. I pay an extra $10 for the 4G service (which is a requirement, even if you never turn on the 4G) and $29/mo for the Wi-Fi hotspot feature (which let me turn off my $59.99/mo 5gig/mo data card). I *think* if you have more than 2 lines, you may $10/mo for them. I do have an extra $10 on my wife's phone because it's a smart-phone as well.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't plan on signing any new contracts with Sprint or any other cell phone company. I found that I can buy a smart phone from Walmart for about $100 or less. That is less than half of what I would pay for a Sprint phone. It is beginning to sound pretty good. It would cost me about $140 to cancel my current contract. However, since they changed the terms of what I originally agreed to I might have an out. I would prefer to test the waters with my wife before I jump in and buy one.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:00 PM
PA

My sons girlfriend has Sprint service. She says service is not so good between Pittsburgh and Reading, PA so I may not want to go with them.
Another driver did show me his smart phone (dont know which service), he could get satalite pictures of delivery addresses on his phone. Thats what I use my laptop for now. So I am thinking get a smart phone, eliminate the air card, and save money. Smart phones do email too.
Maybe Verizon service and the smart phone will work best???
My bill for cell and air card is about $130. right now.
Drop the $60. air card and add the $30. fee for a smart phone and still save about $30.
Perhaps Verizon and a new phone will work best...........Not good with change!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 PM

Ive actually got Us Cellular. Service is great no canada coverage though. just got a new samsung 225I with the windows mobile. Still looking for the button for it to wipe your butt, but other than that it does everything. for about 135 ive got unlimited everything Nationwide. works good for me.