User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How to bring back Teamsters....

How would you go about bringing the Teamsters Union back into truck driving? Or more importantly, do you think it is possible in this day and age to get drivers back under the union umbrella??
Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
How would you go about bringing the Teamsters Union back into truck driving? Or more importantly, do you think it is possible in this day and age to get drivers back under the union umbrella??
The teamsters never left trucking. There is alot fo local companys in my area that are teamsters. You will never see them in OTR again. To many OTR drivers hate unions cuz i guess they like making .35mile.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
You will never see them in OTR again. To many OTR drivers hate unions cuz i guess they like making .35mile.
Mack, I would say it's more along the lines of, if the union goes on strike and your in Wyoming while home is in PA, what are you going to do?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I never believed in paying someone ( union dues) to speak up for me.. I'm a big boy, i can speak up for myself. Who is gonna pay my bills if the "union" decides to go on strike? :smokin:
Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Mack, I would say it's more along the lines of, if the union goes on strike and your in Wyoming while home is in PA, what are you going to do?
Good Point but im sure something could be worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
I never believed in paying someone ( union dues) to speak up for me.. I'm a big boy, i can speak up for myself. Who is gonna pay my bills if the "union" decides to go on strike? :smokin:
I agree about speaking up for your self. But the problem is your 1 driver. 1 driver is a no body to a big company. Its better when its 300 drivers. More power in numbers.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
there is more to it than just having someone to speak up for you because you think "i'm a big boy". They fight for your rights when you've been terminated, and think you dont have a leg to stand on. I'm not one for unions, BUT you've got someone to back you up who know the law better than you do. Not to mention a better pension than not.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you are a good worker and do your job then you don't need a union. I have never understood why anyone would want to pay a bunch of thugs to do what the worker can do for themselves. I hope the Teamsters NEVER regains their power. They are a bunch of corrupt people who shake down companies and members for their own benefit. They have sold out their membership by supporting liberal candidates which many may not support individually. All a union does is protect the inefficient and non productive. For the rest of us, we can fend for ourselves. The unions are about as anti American as the current administration. They have been responsible for this country losing millions of jobs over the last 4 or 5 decades. If you want to make more money then hone your skills, get more training or save your money and start your own business. You don't need a union to stand up for you. And you usually won't get fired for doing a good job.

You don't need a union to make more money. You don't need a union to force a company to give you a retirement. It is your responsibility to manage your money so that you can invest and plan for your own retirement. These unions have been stealing union pensions for years. These union companies are all in trouble. They have agreed to fund unreasonable retirement programs that they cannot afford. Just look at Government Motors. Unless they receive major concessions from the unions they may not be around much longer. If a foreign entity comes in and takes over then you will likely NOT see a union in the company.

Yellow Freight and other union carriers are also in trouble. I spoke with a driver with Allied Systems, who was the largest car hauling company in the nation at one time. They are on the verge of going out of business because they cannot be competitive with non union carriers. When we have another downturn in the economy they may not be able to make it. If the company fails to make a profit then all workers will not only lose their jobs but may lose their retirement.

We seem to have lost the "American Spirit" in this country. Whatever happened to making it on your own? Every time we turn our livelihood or other aspects of our lives over to a union or government agency we are losing more and more of our freedoms. Our forefathers never had a union or big government standing over them to take care of them. They took care of themselves and their families. People helped their neighbors. Things have changed so much in the last 40 years. May America rest in peace.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Board Icon

I was thinking that the Teamsters were still around. It's just that no one knows what happened to Hoffa. :eek2:
I think the Brown Clowns and Yeller are Teamsters...

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 07-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

The only thing keeping drivers from organizing is drivers . . oh . . and the Teamsters. Union pension funds are a primary funding source for building distribution infrastructure. The Teamsters are very much in cahoots with the forces that prefer most drivers remain unorganized.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Gman, you had my vote right up till you got to " you want more money start your own business" Yeah that always works out But I do agree with every thing else. At one time unions did help make the work place safer and got some good pay & bennies, but those days are over now we got Obama what do we need a union for?