Old 07-25-2010, 03:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Gman, you had my vote right up till you got to " you want more money start your own business" Yeah that always works out But I do agree with every thing else. At one time unions did help make the work place safer and got some good pay & bennies, but those days are over now we got Obama what do we need a union for?

I know what you mean about starting a business to make more money. While the potential is there, it is no guarantee. Starting a business is never a guarantee of success or more money. Still, I will take being business over joining a union. :thumbsup:
Old 07-25-2010, 04:57 AM

it dont matter what the topic is... It always end up obama!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcarsalesman View Post
it dont matter what the topic is... It always end up obama!!!
:rofl:
Old 07-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Rookie

everything has its downsides, but how can you explain the best paying "workers" jobs are unionized? I don't see anything wrong with companies being forced to pay fair wages to its workers.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:57 PM

It's not like every single time a union is formed that they automatically get better anything. There are several instances where the pay was negotiated lower and benefits were decreased. Unions are a business in themselves so they will do what benefits them, and it's not always you.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabtrucker View Post
everything has its downsides, but how can you explain the best paying "workers" jobs are unionized? I don't see anything wrong with companies being forced to pay fair wages to its workers.
I'm still on the fense with regards to unions. Its kind of a 'catch 22'. The union workers whine about the pay, then with union help, get the better pay. What does this do? Drive the price of whatever product that company sells, up. For example, the UAW and the price of domestic cars. Then we all wonder why GM and other companies cry for a handout...er...i mean bailout, from the government. Why would anyone want to buy a $35,000 car, when they can get the same size import for $10,000 less??

However, normally the long term bennys are better than if you DIDN'T have a union.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The only real way to FORCE a company to pay its workers more and not put jobs and/or the company in jeopardy is through the free market. When a company is FORCED to pay more, by say a union, they then are left with two options: Less profit = less attractive to investors = less money to grow and hire more workers...... or....... raise prices to cover the additional costs = less competitive in the market place = less sales = less profit ect...

When this is done by a union it usually affects 1 or 2 companies at a time leaving that company(s) at a disadvantage to their competitors.

When allowed to work, the free market will keep the playing field level for all companies involved. Think back to 2005 and this industry. Trucking companies couldn't hire enough drivers. Companies got very inventive on how to attract more drivers: $$$, better home time, better equipment, extra pay for non-driving work ect.....

As Gman said.... hone your skills. The more you can do and the more you KNOW will bring you more money. I put know in bold because I think that every job pays depending on what you know, not what you do. :thumbsup:

Oh, and by the way......... who gets to decide what a fair wage is??? Why not just let congress set the minimum wage at $30.00/hr. That way we will end all poverty and every one will enjoy a nice middle class lifestyle. Think about that one for a minute and then tell me how some outside influence can tell a company how much to pay its employees can work.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
force is what caused general motors to become government motors!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
If you are a good worker and do your job then you don't need a union. I have never understood why anyone would want to pay a bunch of thugs to do what the worker can do for themselves. I hope the Teamsters NEVER regains their power. They are a bunch of corrupt people who shake down companies and members for their own benefit. They have sold out their membership by supporting liberal candidates which many may not support individually. All a union does is protect the inefficient and non productive. For the rest of us, we can fend for ourselves. The unions are about as anti American as the current administration. They have been responsible for this country losing millions of jobs over the last 4 or 5 decades. If you want to make more money then hone your skills, get more training or save your money and start your own business. You don't need a union to stand up for you. And you usually won't get fired for doing a good job.

You don't need a union to make more money. You don't need a union to force a company to give you a retirement. It is your responsibility to manage your money so that you can invest and plan for your own retirement. These unions have been stealing union pensions for years. These union companies are all in trouble. They have agreed to fund unreasonable retirement programs that they cannot afford. Just look at Government Motors. Unless they receive major concessions from the unions they may not be around much longer. If a foreign entity comes in and takes over then you will likely NOT see a union in the company.

Yellow Freight and other union carriers are also in trouble. I spoke with a driver with Allied Systems, who was the largest car hauling company in the nation at one time. They are on the verge of going out of business because they cannot be competitive with non union carriers. When we have another downturn in the economy they may not be able to make it. If the company fails to make a profit then all workers will not only lose their jobs but may lose their retirement.

We seem to have lost the "American Spirit" in this country. Whatever happened to making it on your own? Every time we turn our livelihood or other aspects of our lives over to a union or government agency we are losing more and more of our freedoms. Our forefathers never had a union or big government standing over them to take care of them. They took care of themselves and their families. People helped their neighbors. Things have changed so much in the last 40 years. May America rest in peace.
if I did'nt know better I would swear G-man had a listening device planted in my home. this is almost word for word what I speak at the dinner table to my family of 7. though to give credid where credit is due. I have gotten a lot of insight from talk radio starting back in 88' G.M. think alike.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Oh, and by the way......... who gets to decide what a fair wage is??? Why not just let congress set the minimum wage at $30.00/hr. That way we will end all poverty and every one will enjoy a nice middle class lifestyle. Think about that one for a minute and then tell me how some outside influence can tell a company how much to pay its employees can work.
I'm not sure what a fair wage is and I guess it would be difficult to establish with a profession like OTR truck driving. But I will tell you, it sure is more than .35/mile.

How many company drivers out there drive for $.35/mile or less? I would say a lot. In my opnion, the minimum yearly salary for an OTR truck driver should be $40k starting.

Some say, "where will the companies get the money? The price of goods and services will increase." My answer to that is, SO BE IT! That's what we call distribution of wealth, right? The reality is, to cover increase in wages, most likely companies will find it in profits, reduced management compensation, and increases in price of product.

This is union philosphy. I believe every worker deserves job protection, retirement benifits, and health care. Most will agree. The other ones are probably entreprenuer/ corporate.