User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default just turned 21 years old and looking for advice on which company to drive for

I just turned 21 years old and have been around trucking for quite some years now. My uncle use to drive OTR for years and became O/O in his career..He recently got out of OTR back in 2007...And my being around him the years growing up..i loved being around the truck and on the road...So now i'm looking for a company to join that would help me achieve my CDL class A license. I already have a CDL class AP..Does anybody have any advice on a good company that can help me achieve my class A license?? Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 AM
Senior Board Member

You will be in a better position if you pay for your own schooling and get your cdl BEFORE hiring on with a company. It will cast you some money but it will be well worth it especially if you have trouble with the company you choose to go with. If you sign on with a "training co. with only a permit you will have to sign a contract agreeing to work for them at a ridiculous low wage and stay there for a year or more. If you leave for whatever reason you will be billed for the "valuable training" you received!
If you have you CDL-A before hand then you have some leverage in not signing a contract.
Do a search on here it's all been covered many times in the past, but don't hesitate to ASK QUESTIONS here or prospective employers

BTW!! Do you have a clean license and background( any felony, or tickets dui) if so save your $$$ cuz you won't get hired
BOL
Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Senior Board Member

If you live in Georgia, I suggest you go to the North Georgia Technical college in Clarksville for your cdl training, you will come out a lot better
Old 04-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member

My man i knows the feeling!!! Um... i might suggest Roehl as a good company to get on with as they have a terminal in the Atlanta area and they have a training program, But i would go to the Community college first and then jump to there program as you will be ahead in your training process... There might be other local companies that have some type of training programs so check every and any place you can to see what they offer...

But as being 21 your options will be limited (I'm 22 and have a year and a half and im still having a hardtime find a nice company, will i did have one lol) most places want you to be 23, some even 25 to train!!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Board Regular

I have to agree with hawk, finding a good company while young will be hard/borderline impossible. The companies typically do this for insurance purposes. (risk management and all that)
Old 04-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys...I have a clean background and driving record..And i was kind of wondering if I'd be better off just going to a school...West Central Technical School here in town just recently got a truck driving course and i'm pretty sure i'm eligible for hope grant or something..so I probably wont have to pay too much out of pocket on it...CRST called me this morning wanting me to leave from GA and come to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and take their school and stuff..said i wouldn't get paid for 4 weeks..then i would be on a truck with a trainer for 28 days..then home for about 3 days or so then back out for another 3 to 4 months..He said that the 28 days with a trainer i would make $50 a day flat.. and they need me to sign a 8 month contract.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2GoTrucking View Post
Thanks for the info guys...I have a clean background and driving record..And i was kind of wondering if I'd be better off just going to a school...West Central Technical School here in town just recently got a truck driving course and i'm pretty sure i'm eligible for hope grant or something..so I probably wont have to pay too much out of pocket on it...CRST called me this morning wanting me to leave from GA and come to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and take their school and stuff..said i wouldn't get paid for 4 weeks..then i would be on a truck with a trainer for 28 days..then home for about 3 days or so then back out for another 3 to 4 months..He said that the 28 days with a trainer i would make $50 a day flat.. and they need me to sign a 8 month contract.
Use this as a last resort, not cuz it's a bad co. (I know nothing about them) it's just based on the pay. I went with Roehl and bailed after a few weeks, I'm not into creative writeing when it comes to logging also my trainer was an ass. I"m not saying the co was bad just the trainer. The co. did take care of the problem to our mutual satisfaction so score one for them.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Rookie

Thanks again for the advice fellas... I will be contacting the local technical school here in town and see about getting all my grants and everything lined up so next quarter I can start classes. Thanks again and I will update this message once i get everything setup. Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Rookie

I contact the local Truck Driving school in town here yesterday and have everything pretty much setup now.. have a few papers to go and fill out but classes start July 7th. CRST contacted me this morning and i told them i was going to go with the local school here in town and he mentioned to me that I needed to contact him when i get out of the school with my license because everything looks great on my half and there will be no problems getting a job with them.. but i'll make that decision when time gets here.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

SAY NO TO CRST!! when you graduate you will probably doing team driving so i highly discourage this..Even tho i dont want to recommend this, look at U.S Xpress, even tho that have All-Auto's they have pretty nice trucks and keep there trucks clean and have a training program.. but you wont have much experience with an 10-speed...But please for my sake, say no to CRST!!