User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What ever company you go with ask if the training truck is dispatched as a solo driver or team. Look for a company that dispatches as solo, that way your trainer is sitting in the jump seat instead of sleeping while you drive and vice-versa. To many new drivers have had there career and sometimes life cut short cuz of that!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:34 AM

Stay away from trucking...nothing but a burn job.
No friends, family, or social life whatsoever.
Some of the worst benefits around unless you go union.
Bad health acquired from poor diet and sitting on your ***** all day.
Work 15 hours, paid for 7.
Drive 1000 miles, paid for 900.
Nights & weekends spent in the truckslop, pickle park, or deserted get-off ramp.
No pay when the wheels stop turning...boatloads of uncompensated time/labor.
Rates are the same now as they were in the late 70's.
Grocery *****houses.

The better (best) driving jobs are drying up.
Most will never see one of these type jobs.
Just forget it, I'm serious.
The rubbishing around for chicken scratch is truly ignorant even if you are a hobby trucker.
.25-.37per mile is a joke. Holy Moly, they paid that 10-15 years ago!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:43 AM

I know a guy that just finished Technical School for truck driving in South Carolina and he said it was a great program. It didn't cost him anything because of the grant from the state he got. He decided to not go into trucking after he finished but that's another story.

As for the trucking company I would first suggest for you to choose what type of run you would like to do. I prefer regional runs. Out 2 to 5 days and back home for a couple then back out again. That way your not catching white line fever. It's a bad disease to have and you can tell the one's that have it. They are cranky as **** and usually are on their last tooth or three. OTR is rough on anyone. My dad used to stay out as much as 4 months at a time with less than a week off before he was rolling again. That was back in the 80's. Most don't keep you out that much but still a 3 to 4 week span between hometime gets old in a hurry.

Several companies offer regional runs. I know Swift, Mid-South Transport, Knight, Arnold, Heartland and some others offer it around the Atlanta area. I would strongly suggest Mid South Transport to you. They have a great hometime and mostly stay regional. I worked for them for about 3 years. I don't know their policy on hiring new drivers. They do have a terminal in Atlanta you can run out of.

You might have to get 6 months to a year experience first but then you can be more picky who you work for. I liked Mid-South myself. The terminal manager in Atlanta wasn't the nicest guy in the world but the manager in Nashville made up for him and then some. If i was based out of Nashville I would probably still be working for them. People, routes, trucks, and schedules make a huge difference in a company you work for. It's not all about the money and benefits.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Let me ask this...

Why do you want to go into trucking?

Money, adventure, career, lost a bet...?

I got into it because I was around it a lot and spent many a summers on the road running to the coast with my Dad who ran hhg (household). It was a lot different experience thn if he ran freight and had to crank miles out. I mean he ran miles, but reloading and unloading process took time and we sight see(ed).
Inevitably, I got my CDL in college and started HHG and prusued it after graduation.

I guess I can relate, as I tested the waters at 22, also with a trucking background. Answer my question with whatever answer and I'll glad to give you my opinion with what I would do in your shoes, or just advice. No smart arsey remarks.....well, maybe if you say something off the wall like you LOVE buffets, etc.

The post above about being rode hard and put away and paid crap are true for the newb in most cases. If it's something you wanna do, and pay isn't an issue at all (and I'm talking enough to eat and have a little spending money ONLY and no bills at home), you could go with these training companies. Just set your mind to it and make a commitment to stick the terms of the contract out. Newbs willing to work cheap and go through the company sponsored traing (a major profit source for the carrier) and allow yourself 12-18 months to do trucking and see how it pans out.

You're young enough to kill a year seeing the country and getting by. But again, I am interested in your answer on the reason you want to get into trucking in more detail.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin View Post
Let me ask this...

Why do you want to go into trucking?

I am interested in your answer on the reason you want to get into trucking in more detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2GoTrucking
And my being around him the years growing up..i loved being around the truck and on the road
that all you need to know Bandit, its that simple, at least it was for me...

But what Joey said is half true and half out of hatred for OTR .. but your first couple years in trucking is probably going to borderline suck or just flat out suck... All depends how you take it and whats fun to you, odds are your going to be in a slow truck, have to sit at times at truckstops for a day or so and so on... but just put up wit what you can, try to find a regional spot where your out for 6 to 7 days and home 2.. Just know it wont be easy for the first couple of years plan and simple!!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, I know he was in love with trucks and the road, just looking for a more in depth reason like mentioned...like buffets. Maybe he's a loner, maybe he simply loves it, maybe hot dogs under a heat lamp are his favorite dish, maybe he wants to see each coast hundreds of times, or maybe just the money (however much or little it may be).

From my point of view, as a younger member on here as an OTR driver, I could give my perspective as well. The above information is pretty accurate though, and I won't discredit it one bit. That is all I want to contribute and help him do what he's gotta do.

Kinda reminds me of a slightly younger Double L. I miss that guy!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Wannabe

Ready2GoTrucking - get the company you want to drive for lined up before you go to school. Would really suck to find out you have to be over 23 before you can to what you want. Won't even mention you'll be competing for that seat against experienced drivers including O/Os who lost their business due to the down economy. BOL

Last edited by Sealord; 04-11-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Real good advice. Setup a plan with a carrier and follow though. Take names for any guaratee and march on. My recommendation is Roehl , but I have no firsthand knowledge. This site can can give you aninclination and aspects first hand of carriers.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

First of all pay no attention to those who say there is no future in trucking... if it wasnt for my "class-a" I probably wouldnt be employed right now. Having a CDL doesnt mean the only job you can do/get is an over the road job. There are MANY other jobs out there that require a CDL without having to give up your current life to get. Granted most wont pay what OTR pays, but if money is all your interested in than I suggest bank robbery as your career as choice. LTL and food service delivery are just a couple that spring to mind. Personally I gave up $800 a week (take home) for $10/hr because I think happiness is more important than a few bucks. I'm home every night, off weekends, and I'm not handcuffed to a steering wheel. My 'free time" isnt spending 3 days in the bunk of a company truck watching the same movies on a 13" screen.

As far as "starting out," well there are several options to choose from. Most LTL require a year experience, but food service delivery companies will sometimes hire with no experience. Shop around, comb the classifieds, and more importantly... dont give up.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may check with Milliis. I believe that they have a training office in Cartersville. Southern Express is in Tunnel Hill, just north of Dalton. They had a training school at one time. I believe they mostly run to the left coast and back each week. As others have mentioned, I would check to see if you can find a company at your age before spending money on training and getting your CDL. Many carriers will not hire a driver who is younger than 23.