User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Truckin'

Friday was a great day to drive. I was "truckin" down the Gorge on Hwy14 {Washington side} when I heard something coming...

It was a EA-6b Prowler. The driver about took off my antenii diving into the Gorge at...fast. They flew down the river headed West at about 200ft, pulled up and were gone.

Wish I was 21...
Old 05-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo View Post
What insurance do you have?

No surprise there.

If FedEx make you wear uniforms, then why are you paying for them out of your own pocket?
Why don't you pay for fuel to put in the truck while you're at it? You can write that off on your taxes, too! :lol:

Driving for a FedEx Ground contractor means you're underpaid.
1099 means you're a fool.

More than anything, I feel sorry for you, man. Really, I do.
And here I thought you were just being a ***** to me, Joey. Guess he has to troll everyone to make himself feel better.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Gman you might want to check that again. If you are an employee it is illegal to pay on a 1099.

Plus what about workmens comp. When your a 1099 worker i hope you dont get hurt on the job cuz you wont get nothing. What about unemployment you cant get that when your paid on a 1099 as well.

GMAN for an employee why do you say it is better to be paid on a 1099??

W-2 is by far the better choice to be paid if you are an employee.

Employment Law: hired and was not told 1099 status, unemployment insurance, insurance workers

If you google being paid on a 1099 you will see tons of websites stating it is illegal.

Being paid with reporting on a 1099 does not allow the employer to account for paying you social security and medicare, nor tax withholding, workers compensation or unemployment. That is why companies like to make people independent contractors because then they don't have to pay those things.

You cannot pay someone on a 1099 without telling them in the beginning. There are IRS guidelines that explain the difference between an independent contractor and employee. You cannot make a blanket statement that paying someone on a 1099 is illegal. Essentially, it comes down to control of the individual by the company. Many commission salesmen have been paid on a 1099 for many decades. If someone is not disciplined enough to put money back for taxes then they may be better off working for a company who will deduct their taxes and pay them to the government for them. As an independent contractor you may have additional deductions not available as an employee, that could lower your tax bite at the end of the year. One reason that I prefer a 1099 is that I can have access to my money rather than allowing the government to have an interest free loan of my money for a year. Instead of getting MY money back at the end of the year I may or may not have to pay the IRS at the end of the year. I would prefer to owe them at the end of the year than have them to owe me.

As far as workers compensation is concerned, there are occupational disability insurance policies you can purchase for much less than workers comp that has pretty much the same benefits without as much hassle and is much cheaper. A occupational policy runs about $140/month from OOIDA.

We have become a nation who doesn't want to take responsibility for ourselves or our families. Being paid on a w-2 is a way to pass the responsibility for paying our taxes on to someone else. If you receive money back on your taxes at the end of the year then you have given your money to the government as an interest free loan. You could have invested that money and had more money at the end of the year rather than waiting for the government to decide whether you should receive some or all of your money back.

When a company pays on a 1099 they save administrative costs and the employers part of the social security pay. The contractor could receive more money due to the savings by the company and have more control over his job by being paid on a 1099. If I pay on a 1099 and are then forced to pay the same individual as an employee then I will lower the compensation to recover the extra taxes and administration costs that I will need to incur. I think you will find that with any company who has to pay additional costs to an individual. I don't understand why someone should be put down or berated because they prefer to be paid on a 1099 rather than a w-2.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
There are IRS guidelines that explain the difference between an independent contractor and employee. You cannot make a blanket statement that paying someone on a 1099 is illegal. Essentially, it comes down to control of the individual by the company.
Right.
So explain how JD is a contractor here.
Can he turn down runs?
Does he get to choose where he goes?
Does he make his own schedule?
Nope....
FedEx even makes him wear company uniforms.

Quote:
I don't understand why someone should be put down or berated because they prefer to be paid on a 1099 rather than a w-2.
He's clearly an employee and is being misclassified so the contractor can save $$$.
To argue otherwise is foolish.
There's a reason why FedEx Ground is getting sued left and right for this misclassification BS.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Right.
So explain how JD is a contractor here.
Can he turn down runs?
Does he get to choose where he goes?
Does he make his own schedule?
Nope....
FedEx even makes him wear company uniforms.

He's clearly an employee and is being misclassified so the contractor can save $$$.
To argue otherwise is foolish.
There's a reason why FedEx Ground is getting sued left and right for this misclassification BS.

I don't know enough about his particular situation to say whether he meets IRS guidelines or not. He is not an employee of FedEx if he works for a contractor. He may or may not be considered an employee of the contractor. In any case, as long as he pays his taxes it won't make any difference how he is classified. As long as he agreed to be paid as an independent contractor there should not be a problem. Those who work as an independent contractor and then try to get the IRS to force the carrier to pay their taxes after they failed to take care of their responsibility are the worst of the worst. These people should be forced to pay their own taxes. I think that everyone should be paid on a 1099 so that they can take responsibility for paying their own taxes and fully understand exactly how much they are actually paying the government in taxes.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I don't know enough about his particular situation to say whether he meets IRS guidelines or not. He is not an employee of FedEx if he works for a contractor. He may or may not be considered an employee of the contractor.
Let me spell it out for you in a very simple way that someone like yourself can understand:
He shows up at the terminal.
He gets his bills.
He gets in his truck.
He drives to another terminal.
He drops, hooks to another trailer or set.
Then he drives back to his home-20.

So please explain how he's considered an independent contractor.

Quote:
In any case, as long as he pays his taxes it won't make any difference how he is classified.
It does to the IRS and the state/federal government.

Quote:
I think that everyone should be paid on a 1099 so that they can take responsibility for paying their own taxes and fully understand exactly how much they are actually paying the government in taxes.
Yeah, that's a great plan. :lol2::roll:
Old 05-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Let me spell it out for you in a very simple way that someone like yourself can understand:
He shows up at the terminal.
He gets his bills.
He gets in his truck.
He drives to another terminal.
He drops, hooks to another trailer or set.
Then he drives back to his home-20.

So please explain how he's considered an independent contractor.

I have been in business for over 40 years. I think that I can understand. How long have you been in business? You obviously don't understand the IRS guidelines. You have stated nothing that would define whether he should be classified as an employee or independent contractor.

It does to the IRS and the state/federal government.

All the IRS cares about is collecting the taxes. As long as someone pays they don't care where the money comes from. The only problem comes in when the contractor fails to pay his taxes and then whines to the IRS that he was an employee and his employer failed to pay his taxes and took advantage of him.

Yeah, that's a great plan. :lol2::roll:
Some of us are responsible individuals. We don't need someone to take responsibility for paying our taxes for us. We can do that ourselves.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Some of us are responsible individuals. We don't need someone to take responsibility for paying our taxes for us. We can do that ourselves.
Yeah, sure buddy.
You know how many O/O don't pay taxes?
It would surprise the hell out of you.
Some years ago, I used to know a girl who worked for the IRS.
She told me that independent truckers were one of the highest percentiles of tax cheats in the country.
No joke.

Quote:
I have been in business for over 40 years. I think that I can understand. How long have you been in business? You obviously don't understand the IRS guidelines. You have stated nothing that would define whether he should be classified as an employee or independent contractor.
40 years and still driving truck?
Hell, I'll be fully retired when I get my 20 in.
To each their own, I guess.
Whatever rocks your boat...
Old 05-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Board Regular

You make some pretty wide assumtions here joey, as usual.

First, you assume that since some independents don't pay their taxes, that all of them should be regulated regardless of their compliance (or lack thereof) with the tax code. Way to slap the good folks in the face man.

Second, you assume Gman is a solo O/O. after that long in the game and as much as he knows about it he's probably a fleet owner.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Yeah, sure buddy.
You know how many O/O don't pay taxes?
It would surprise the hell out of you.
Some years ago, I used to know a girl who worked for the IRS.
She told me that independent truckers were one of the highest percentiles of tax cheats in the country.
No joke.

The IRS has been targeting the trucking industry more heavily in the last few years according to an individual to whom I spoke who works for the IRS. Guidelines for the trucking industry are somewhat different than some other industries. I am not sure that you will find more people in this industry who don't pay their taxes than any other industry. People will pay taxes they deem fair.

40 years and still driving truck?
Hell, I'll be fully retired when I get my 20 in.
To each their own, I guess.
Whatever rocks your boat...
You better hope that your union retirement doesn't go south on you. These big labor unions have been known to take your retirement money and run. After you retire what do you plan on doing for the rest of your life? Not everyone wants to retire. I haven't been driving much in recent years. I have had drivers in my trucks. I decided to start driving again this year. You see, some of us enjoy driving.