LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Follow Up Radio SHow 11/4/09 7PM EST

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Yeah, the apologists will be arriving any time Syncro. They've been unusually quiet lately though. After that excellent piece about Swift a couple of weeks ago, then another excellently crafted objective expose like this one. They (the piece-rate OTR apologists) are really on the ropes. GMAN has been thunderously silent for a while now. I'm a bit worried about the old boy. Or perhaps, he is finally seeing the light after all of these years of disinformation. These reports remind me of CFM. All CFM ever did was espouse these same exact truths. It was just his style and uncanny method of putting the truth right up in the apologist's faces that got him banned numerous times.

I wonder how the apologists respond to this line from the video? Touche'!!

".......for every 100 new drivers hired. A recent study funded by an industry organization found an astounding 97 were no longer on the company's payroll a year later."

I love these reports from 3rd party sources that back up everything that a few of us have been bellowing for years now. I hate the fact that my fellow drivers are the ones suffering from these abuses.
Just a reminder for everyone. The Blog Talk Radio Show Follow up episode for the Dan Rather Trucking Video on CDL Schools and Companies is scheduled for Wed 11/4/09 7PM

Trucking Industry Controversy Focus of Trucking Talk Radio | AskTheTrucker

Comments and questions: Call in # 347-826-9170

TruthAboutTrucking.com
Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
responding to Belpre's post....

I think Belpre is making an error in accounting here. Either that, or his first "training" company couldn't keep his TEAM running more than a solo would.

14 cents/mile is an average starting pay for a TEAM driver.... who gets that amount for EVERY MILE the truck runs that week. He drives HALF of those miles, so essentially is getting paid 28 cpm for the miles "HE" drives.

Not saying that is a great rate of pay, but it is pretty close to the national average for "starter/mega carriers." Covenant was paying 19.5 cpm for team drivers when I started 4 years ago.

Most companies will pay a solo driver a little LESS than they pay a TEAM. i.e: solo gets 28 cpm... TEAM gets to split 30 cpm.

Now... having SAID all that, and correcting Belpre's mistake, I must say that it IS possible for a newbie SOLO driver to get much LESS than the average of 2500 miles/week. Therefore, MANY of them do not make much of a paycheck while living in their trucks. (and many megas pay a set rate of about $350 for MANY weeks of training.)

This is ONE reason that I recommend TEAMING for the first year or two, while learning the biz. TEAM trucks almost HAVE to be kept running by their dispatchers, where solo drivers can be left sitting.

I'll admit that, when I got out of CDL school, I went with a TEAM company that started me at 14 cpm for ALL MILES. The "TRICK" was that I picked a company that had contracts that took EVERY truck to the west coast each week, and we brought a load of produce back. I got home EVERY week for 2 days (or more)... and got about 5500 truck miles average.

That's $770 gross from my 5th week. The first 4 weeks were considered "training" and I got only 12 cpm. I STILL made more than nearly EVERY driver on this board that went with a MEGA!

I hear the horror stories from the likes of CFM, Belpre and others. I don't doubt they are telling the truth. I just don't understand the kind of people that take what they are offered when getting into something like this.

It's like the military. One of the jobs that has the HIGHEST recruitment/staffing need is "military police." The other is "infantry/grunt." If you show up at the recruiter's office and say, "I want to join the military," they are going to put you in the field they need you in the most.... and sell you a pig in a poke that will make you think you made the right choice! :hellno:

If you walk into something like this WITHOUT doing your homework and considering your options.... you deserve the crap they will feed you.

This post is NOT a comment on the video being discussed. It is only a rebuttal of Belpre's negative views. As for the video? It sounded pretty truthful to me. We ALL know what is going on out there. We ALL need to be careful and suspect of every other driver on the road.... BIG RIG or not!

But, this is why my sigline says that "trucking is not for Wusses!" I KNEW before my first day of class that I would have NO PROBLEM driving a big rig. All I needed was for someone to show me the parts and explain their functions. Give me a spin around the park to get used to the gears and that big AZZ behind me, and I WILL DO THE REST!

I don't have a problem with women like the one in the video getting INTO this biz. I just have a problem with the "polyannic naivete" of many (of both sexes) who DO! I was IMPRESSED by the way she dealt with the problem... and she appears to have "made it" as a driver! Well done lady!

And don't be swayed by the fact that Rather got this stuff from a woman. MANY men out there, in their first year, would say the same things! Many more MEN have quit before they earned the respect THIS lady got from ME!

Yes, it's dangerous out there. Too many drivers of big rigs are NOT professionals.... seasoned OR rookie. I will go so far as to say I believe that Kevin is more professional than many so-called "seasoned veterans." Being a Veteran does not guarantee being a safe driver.

But, riddle me this.... would you rather be in a truck while there are fools around you.... or in a 4wheeler? Take a "civilian job," and you will be out there among the giants and much more vulnerable. Drive a truck and you have some survivability around you... not to mention a CB so you can yell at the schmuck!

And the MORE good drivers that join the biz, the more the bad ones will be pushed out. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

The sixteen year old girl, who just got her license and is texting her best friend ever, is JUST as dangerous on the road as a newbie driver of a big rig who hasn't received the "proper" training. I'm not defending the CDL mills.... but, at some point one HAS to wonder what makes people decide to drive a rig if they are a WUSS???!!!! :eek2:
When I went out with my trainer my pay was .15 per mile.....But that was for ever mile the truck was moving. I actually made out pretty well because my trainer had a high mileage dedicated run and when i got out of his truck and into mine a couple of weeks later my pay per mile doubled. A lot of companies pay that split half pay during training but you get it even when you are not the one driving. It's not the best deal in the world but it's not the complete rip off its made out to sound like.I was making more money on that .15 per mile that you get on the flat pay per week that some companies pay out while you are training. i know some places pay you a flat rate of like $300-$350 per week while you are in the truck. I made out better than that.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
Twenty years under my belt, for sh-ts and giggles I thought I would call around and see how much I was worth... 28. cents a mile is all, clean record, no accidents, etc... That was a few pennies less than what I started at 20 years ago, imagine that? Glad I got out of this racket.
Damn, i got .40 per mile after only 2 years on the road a couple years back....you must have called the cheapest of the cheap.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Board Regular

belpre painted the worst case scenario to TRY to prove his point that all otr and mega carriers suck. one thing he failed to do was mentioned in golf hobos post. what belpre also missed was the fact that training last six to eight weeks, then your pay goes up when you get your own truck..that pay is usually substantially higher than that of training pay. so, if he were actually trying to help people, he would post honest truthful numbers that would actually reflect the first year earnings of a newbie truck driver. i would do it but i just dont feel like doing the math..to be perfectly honest. what belpre also has failed repeatedly to realize that HE would not do that job for that pay, this does not mean that it is a bad job, just one that he would not do. what the newbies reading this need to realize is that you gotta start somewhere..we all did including belpre and his star crossed lover cfm. they started with a starter company, they didnt like it and they moved on. i started with tmc years ago, i HATED it...but i got through it and moved on to something different, and it took me quite some time to get where i am now. just as it did with belpre.

and on a side note i dont think belpre moved to alaska, as he would claim with the photos. i think he moved to boston and married cfm!!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Reading up on this, makes me very happy on the route I took. Went to school at 21 for 4 weeks, got my CDL and slack adjuster endorsement. Went with my dad for 3 months, he had to be in the passenger seat while I'm driving and help me back up. After that I just bought my own damn truck. So that's 4 months of someone being in the jump seat. Although we never went far, I did get enough experience to go out on my own. I'd say 2-4 months is the minimum to have someone in the jump seat. And a "trainer" shouldn't have less than 5 years of experience. And they shouldn't run team.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Reading up on this, makes me very happy on the route I took. Went to school at 21 for 4 weeks, got my CDL and slack adjuster endorsement. Went with my dad for 3 months, he had to be in the passenger seat while I'm driving and help me back up. After that I just bought my own damn truck. So that's 4 months of someone being in the jump seat. Although we never went far, I did get enough experience to go out on my own. I'd say 2-4 months is the minimum to have someone in the jump seat. And a "trainer" shouldn't have less than 5 years of experience. And they shouldn't run team.
There are far too many situations that these new drivers run into, that they are not prepared for in any sense. The vast majority of them find out what questions they should have asked of their instructors and trainers... when they learn the answers to the questions themselves.

It's rather like graduating high school. You are told you are ready to go out and meet the world. But to light the world on fire, it will take far more education. The training the new drivers get, on the over-all average, is far below what they should be getting in order to be ready for the real world.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Senior Board Member

He'll be on again Tuesday night, focus on trucking with a different storyline/format . . the show was recorded tonight at Willy Nelson's place in Carl's Corner, TX. I'm pretty sure they said 8PM, EST, but check this link to be sure . .

HDNet Original Programming - Dan Rather Reports

The only response I got to the info I sent was the link to this show . . I don't know if they'll get into the drivers exemtion to FLSA overtime and CPM fraud but I sure hope they do.

Please, if you read this post, post a reply and bump it to the top so more people will see it . . Thanks!

Last edited by cdswans; 11-10-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Greetings all!

Belpre, thank you for posting the link for this video. I truly enjoyed watching it.

I was rather embarrassed to admit to myself that my experience with a three-week driving school was similar to Ms. Desiree's, although my driving and finishing school and first employer were the same corporation. I did not do well on the backing range (I messed up the straight back for God's sake!) or on the street, yet I passed anyway. I figured my trainer would help me work out the kinks. Turns out she was not great at backing herself. I learned to drive the truck and how to "survive" in the truck, but if a new driver cannot back... well, you all know how that story can go.

If I had been smarter, I would have used the Internet to research trucking before diving in head first. I actually worked for the same transportation company (in the office) that I ended up driving for, so I thought the drivers there might warn me.. My brother was a truck driver, too! It turns out I had not asked them the proper questions.

It took me six months to learn to back properly. The more I learned, the more I realized that my trainer was not as experienced as she should have been, though she touted TEN YEARS of driving experience. Simple mistakes she had made and told me about during my training time should have been huge red flags for me... For example, she used an emergency vehicle turn-around on the interstate in the winter and got stuck on the ice! Another example (that actually happened while I was with her) was that we arrived at a giant warehouse that would have been empty save for the three or four trucks that were on the property. I mean, there were at least FIFTY dock doors on this one side of the building, and she could not back up to the dock because there were no lines on the ground! A company driver had to back in the trailer for her!! Did I mention that she was an "owner operator"... That should have been a HUGE red flag, but me.. well, before trucking, I was a little naive and too trusting... not anymore. Some of the major life lessons I have learned have come out of this industry.

A lack of proper training can get you or someone else killed. I know everyone says it, so it has become a trucking cliche... and as drivers, we all know it... but it seems to me many new people to the industry do not consider it one iota before they run to a CDL school believing that trucking will save their lives. And I think that part of the reason why a lot of experienced transportation professionals (from drivers to safety people) are p!ssed off at DOT and companies alike and disenchanted with the industry altogether.

Thanks again for your posting Belpre! And I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts
Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Although the story may have its faults, every potential new driver should watch it. Nothing in the story was untrue. Pay really is low in the beginning, as it should be, but that is never highlighted with new drivers. Desiree tells the story from a womans perspective and I found that truly interesting.

YouTube - On the Road - Vol 3 - Comin Home.wmv