User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post

Last I heard, Roehl was still doing new drivers. Don't know if they've changed the way they treat drivers now or not.
I know a community college CDL graduate from Michigan that Prime hired... so there are companies... not much room for "picking and choosing" though
Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Rookie

Thank you everyone for the information. (Bad & hopeful) I just wanted to say that the school told me that helping me get a job was going to be no problem! They have job placement at least so I was told. But it seems that just handing your grads apps to fill out isnt a whole lot of help. Now looking back its 20/20 seeing that they are just salesman trying to make a sale for the school and will say anything to make that "sale." Yet I will keep pounding the payment and hope for the best!

The one the that really "IRKS" me are the people that cant understand what they just read! :moon:

Quote:
That is just the thing, one thing that really irks me, are drivers who blow 4g's on schooling, then get all butt-hurt because the school didnt follow thru, or they cannot find a job. When experienced drivers are jumping ship from one company to another, and the marketplace is FLOODED with experienced drivers (i.e. more than a year experience) then fresh fish just out of school are mad because they cannot find a job.

Don't get all upset cause thats the way things SHOULD be. If i were applying for a job (with my 9 mo. experience) and there are 12 other drivers with a range of experience from 1 year to 5 years, and there are only 5 spots open, i would not be upset if i didnt get the position. it would be expected.

One should have done their homework on the school before jumping into the street without looking both ways. AND, should have gone to a school thru a company, AND should have done it no later than September of last year.

The poor economy and this depression wasnt something that happened overnight.....we've been going in the tank since the latter half of 2007.
Quote:
Depends on HOW MUCH you "hand over" to the trucking school. Nothing wrong with learning a new trade. Like the original poster - IF you're "handing over" $5K, with NO HINT OF PLACEMENT - then you're likely better off looking at PLAN C. If you're doing a COUNTY VO-TECH (like I did) - then even though I put $1,800 into it - and even though it's difficult to find work right not (ESPECIALLY WITH A FLORIDA ZIP CODE) - to me it was still $$ well spent, and I feel MUCH BETTER about spending $1,800, than I would have by spending FIVE GRAND...

Rick

Last edited by SirCronus; 07-12-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCronus View Post
Thank you everyone for the information. (Bad & hopeful) I just wanted to say that the school told me that helping me get a job was going to be no problem! They have job placement at least so I was told. But it seems that just handing your grads apps to fill out isnt a whole lot of help. Now looking back its 20/20 seeing that they are just salesman trying to make a sale for the school and will say anything to make that "sale." Yet I will keep pounding the payment and hope for the best!

The one the that really "IRKS" me are the people that cant understand what they just read! :moon:
I can't read where it is you live.

That is what irks me. How does anyone, whom may or maynot have a reasonable company to suggest, do so, without knowing where you live?? Are you only interested in the "Mega Carriers" whom seem to be turning you down??
Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Orange i think he was responding to Kevin's arrogant post about spending money on schooling...

but yeah dude, if you want help you at least has to give us the nearest major city or something..

If you are in the West look at this Company...

Truck Driving Training, Careers, Best Pay, Most Terminals

i don't hear alot of bad about them nor good either so that might be the good thing lol but nice trucks and they hiring graduates...
Old 07-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

Hate to start sounding like Kevin here - but MIGHTY DAMN GLAD to have irked you. You MADE MY DAY. It's really great to be able to "reach out and irk someone", from the comforts of ones home - and without even INTENDING TO. I hope to be able to irk you again in the future.

Meanwhile, best of luck with your $5K CDL. It seems to be about as worthless as my $1,800 one in the current employment market. OTOH - I knew GOING IN that my school didn't do job placement and made a BUSINESS DECISION not to go to the more expensive (less classroom/road hours school) or a Company School (again, usually in the $5K range) - opting to DO MY OWN LEGWORK when I graduate...

Bzzzzzz, bzzzzzzzzzz.....

Is there a FLY IN HERE? Oh, it's just KEVIN. Buzzz off little boy. You and your slide-rule and college education just head on down the road. Taunting me with your (supposed) "math skills" - in light of some of the incredible yarns I've seen you spew out here, further re-enforces that ANYONE can get a college degree. Couldn't handle autocad, so you're driving a truck. SO GLAD you don't care what other people think about you - it'd be REALLY DEPRESSING when you know the entire board finds you PATHETIC...

Rick
Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Orange i think he was responding to Kevin's arrogant post about spending money on schooling...

but yeah dude, if you want help you at least has to give us the nearest major city or something..

If you are in the West look at this Company...

Truck Driving Training, Careers, Best Pay, Most Terminals

i don't hear alot of bad about them nor good either so that might be the good thing lol but nice trucks and they hiring graduates...
Ohhh...I understood what was "irking" him, Hawk.

I just wanted him to understand that nobody can suggest a company that "might" hire him, without knowing where the heck it is that "he" lives. Everybody knows where to find a "McMega" Carrier. But how can anyone recommend or suggest a small company...when those smaller companies are so widely scattered?

Everyone needs help from time to time...but you have to first be willing to help yourself. Knowing your location is one of those "self-help" deals.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

There are a number of small companies that will hire along their normal routes. A few in WI tend to use the left turn signal when they get to Chicago, so if you live in Northern Indiana, or northern ohio... PA, along I-80, they'll take you on. Even upstate NY. But, it's pretty hard to recomend any of them if you don't live along the routes they normally run.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Rookie
Default Sorry if I ruffled any feathers

I live in Sacramento, CA. I guess I need to pay better attention myself to what I read. Dam I guess I really "IRK " myself now! :banghead:
Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Get in touch with Floored. She's in Sacto and has a lot of contacts.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I live in Sacramento, CA. I guess I need to pay better attention myself to what I read. Dam I guess I really "IRK " myself now! :banghead:

Ok...Sac-town. Have you tried Bettendorf?? They may well offer you that "chance" you need to gain experience. http://www.bettendorftrucking.com/2164.html

How about Sitton Motor Lines? They have a terminal in Yreka...but they do a lot around Sac-town. Welcome to Sitton Motor Lines They may also offer you a "chance".

I am assuming you already tried Gordon Trucking...but if you haven't (Western Truck School was helped to get started by them), Gordon Trucking Inc. - Pacific, Washington

Did you try Royal Express? They offer one thing important to you...driving experience. RoyalExp.com

How about Market Transport? Again...driving experience.

West Coast Transportation & Trucking Company - Market Transport

How about Ruan? They may...or not..give you a chance. Ruan Transportation - Jobs

Your not going to get any where knocking on "Internet" doors. Go to each of these operation's facility that is close to you. KNOCK ON THEIR DOORS!!!