User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Reminds me of a conversation 2 drivers were having on the CB.

The one told the other his heating bill for his house went up 50% last winter. Said he paid $250 a month the year before and this year it was $500.

I asked him he had trouble adding his hours up in his logbook. He said No, why would I?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Rookie
Default Interesting Subject

I find this converstion interesting since i just received my CDL permit with 3 Endorsements and i'm about ready to hand over my money to a truck driving school ( DOOTSON ) in Southern California.
I was actually pretty happy after i passed all the tests at the DMV but now im wondering if I SHOULD HAND OVER MY MONEY to learn how to drive a truck.
Ive been reading the posts at trucking sites and its been mixed reviews, even the job i have now is up and down with work and 40 hrs a week... i figured i'd get a back up plan just in case i get layed off or my hours get cut ( its happened a few times already less than 40hrs ).
So my great back up plan isn't so great after all,.. so whats a man to do?...... At 49 years old its not like it was when i was 20 and you could get a job anywhere....i figured i could drive a truck and be a happy camper but it appears storm clouds are on the horizon and its gonna rain on my little parade.
Wonder if i should just finish the trucking school and see what happens.

Last edited by IndianG; 07-07-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: mispelled words
Old 07-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianG View Post
I find this converstion interesting since i just received my CDL permit with 3 Endorsements and i'm about ready to hand over my money to a truck driving school ( DOOTSON ) in Southern California.
I was actually pretty happy after i passed all the tests at the DMV but now im wondering if I SHOULD HAND OVER MY MONEY to learn how to drive a truck.
Ive been reading the posts at trucking sites and its been mixed reviews, even the job i have now is up and down with work and 40 hrs a week... i figured i'd get a back up plan just in case i get layed off or my hours get cut ( its happened a few times already less than 40hrs ).
So my great back up plan isn't so great after all,.. so whats a man to do?...... At 49 years old its not like it was when i was 20 and you could get a job anywhere....i figured i could drive a truck and be a happy camper but it appears storm clouds are on the horizon and its gonna rain on my little parade.
Wonder if i should just finish the trucking school and see what happens.
Depends on HOW MUCH you "hand over" to the trucking school. Nothing wrong with learning a new trade. Like the original poster - IF you're "handing over" $5K, with NO HINT OF PLACEMENT - then you're likely better off looking at PLAN C. If you're doing a COUNTY VO-TECH (like I did) - then even though I put $1,800 into it - and even though it's difficult to find work right not (ESPECIALLY WITH A FLORIDA ZIP CODE) - to me it was still $$ well spent, and I feel MUCH BETTER about spending $1,800, than I would have by spending FIVE GRAND...

Rick
Old 07-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
Reminds me of a conversation 2 drivers were having on the CB.

The one told the other his heating bill for his house went up 50% last winter. Said he paid $250 a month the year before and this year it was $500.

I asked him he had trouble adding his hours up in his logbook. He said No, why would I?
typical dumb truck driver. I bet he is the same kind of guy who spouts Obama crap every half mile.

As far as IndianG, ask whatever school you go to if they require a permit or not. Depends on the school if they'll recognize your permit (they would if it was in state, naturally), but dont get upset if you've spent $$$ on getting your permit, and go to a school where it would be useless.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Board Regular

I got my CDL through a school, and then I went to Schneider, and they dropped me right back into their training program at no cost to me. Also, since I was within 90 days of graduating from a qualified program, they actually reimbursed me the cost of my training.

Anyhow, what I learned was that, I may have had the technical CDL, but I was -not- ready to drive a truck. I probably could have gotten into SNI without my CDL, but I'm not sure if I would have passed their program with no prior experience.

I've been driving for 3 years now, and so far I say it's working out pretty well for me.

So, the moral is you would probably be best served by a company that has training. It sounds a little backwards, but my school actually advised the same thing. They were pushing for Swift, but for some reason I went to Schneider instead. I don't regret the decision at all.

The point is that, if you are willing to work at it, you can make it work for you. But if you are expecting a great job out of the chute, you are probably going to be bitterly disappointed.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Rookie
Default Thanks for the input

Thanks to all the people who replied to my post, ...I've been on the fence the last week after reading comments on trucker sites about jobs and newbies but i've come this far so i might as well go for it.
The school cost is around $1,200 + CDL permit $64.00 + Drug test $35.00 + DOT physical $35.00 and since i passed the Hazmat endorsement + Tanker & Air Brakes i believe this is a good investment besides i like to travel and work hard ....... There are a lot of opportunities with a CLASS A besides 18 wheelers ...... Cement trucks, Water Trucks, and a lot more in construction field so i believe there are many open doors with a class A .... so if i get layed off from my current 2 axial delivery job i'm sure the class A will help me find something.
Thanks again for your input and be safe out there.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member

It doesn't look like the OP wants to discuss his problem.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
It doesn't look like the OP wants to discuss his problem.
That is just the thing, one thing that really irks me, are drivers who blow 4g's on schooling, then get all butt-hurt because the school didnt follow thru, or they cannot find a job. When experienced drivers are jumping ship from one company to another, and the marketplace is FLOODED with experienced drivers (i.e. more than a year experience) then fresh fish just out of school are mad because they cannot find a job.

Don't get all upset cause thats the way things SHOULD be. If i were applying for a job (with my 9 mo. experience) and there are 12 other drivers with a range of experience from 1 year to 5 years, and there are only 5 spots open, i would not be upset if i didnt get the position. it would be expected.

One should have done their homework on the school before jumping into the street without looking both ways. AND, should have gone to a school thru a company, AND should have done it no later than September of last year.

The poor economy and this depression wasnt something that happened overnight.....we've been going in the tank since the latter half of 2007.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Rookie
Default I know how you feel

Same here dude, I graduated 2 months ago, have all my endorsements and I still can get a job, at this point I'm willing to just forget about the whole trucking deal and just get a job doing whatever, I know man, it's really hard.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
That is just the thing, one thing that really irks me, are drivers who blow 4g's on schooling, then get all butt-hurt because the school didnt follow thru, or they cannot find a job. When experienced drivers are jumping ship from one company to another, and the marketplace is FLOODED with experienced drivers (i.e. more than a year experience) then fresh fish just out of school are mad because they cannot find a job.

Don't get all upset cause thats the way things SHOULD be. If i were applying for a job (with my 9 mo. experience) and there are 12 other drivers with a range of experience from 1 year to 5 years, and there are only 5 spots open, i would not be upset if i didnt get the position. it would be expected.

One should have done their homework on the school before jumping into the street without looking both ways. AND, should have gone to a school thru a company, AND should have done it no later than September of last year.

The poor economy and this depression wasnt something that happened overnight.....we've been going in the tank since the latter half of 2007.
It really began to excellerate in '06 and '07, but the simple fact is that it has been going this way for the last thirty years. You just didn't get to see it as well before '07. The housing foreclosures started increasing in '05 and '06.

And, to make matters even worse, every time I go out, I see more and more business's being boarded up. It means even more and more people out of work. It means the economy is going to go down even more. Truck driving is not going to pick up until the economy does. You might try moving to NE. On national news, last week, they have the lowest unemployment rate in the entire country. Unfortunately, that does not mean that trucking companies based in NE will be more likely to hire new drivers.

There are a number of sites where you can get a line on companies that... MIGHT... be interested. I did a WEB search and came up with a dozen pages of sites.

Bubbajunk
careersingear
rigmeup
drivers4hire

Last I heard, Roehl was still doing new drivers. Don't know if they've changed the way they treat drivers now or not.