User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Don't forget West Virginia. Pretty much impossible to find a driving job when you live in this state.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
A friend of mine is looking for a driving job. He lives on the left coast. He is finding that some won't hire in California but will in Nevada and vice versa. It depends on their travel lanes. That can be true about anywhere you live. There are some regions where it can be more difficult to find a driving job than others. Florida, parts of the Western U.S. and New England can be difficult for some carriers.
I often asked about voluntarily relocating to get on with a decent fleet, no dice.
Just thought with having nothing in the way of relationships or children holding me down, that would be the best thing to do.
Hang in there and find a minor job to hold you over until things start picking up again.
Right now, we're all losing sleep, but some time from now we'll all look at this as some bad nightmare that we'll try to make sure never happens again.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCronus View Post
I recently graduated from :AR15:Western Pacific Truck school :badass: with my Class A & all three of my endorsments, but can't seem to get a break from any of the companies. All these compaines for the most part want at least 1-3 years of OTR! Im sure hoping something pans out for me soon since I spent $4690.00 :bigangry: on truck school and to date have gotten nothing but apps to fill out & turn downs! What does a guy like myself do? Any help or information would be appreciated!:bigthumbsup:
First off...Your choice of a school for your training was wrong. Bates Votech in Tacoma would have been better AND cheaper.

Second....where do you live? That makes a difference on suggestions. There are companies that might hire you right now.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Don't pay Kevin no mind.. It's hard finding a job for a Truck Driver period!! Experience or Inexperienced.. One thing is where your located!! it looks like your on the West Coast, i thought most Trucking companies out there had that Western Eleven thing going on like Werner/Swift and others.. Keep looking and something will pop up...
YEAH, dont pay any attention to my post, even though i'm right. Though i did leave out the problem of WHERE one might be located. When it comes down to it, how bad you want a job also might depend on relocating (at your cost naturally).

But the OP is correct. recruiters are sales people. Schools are a business. Like em or not, they are out to make money just like anybody else. I scratch my head why any company would keep their schools open, especially when the freight is not there for added trucks. (and yes, i know there is turnaround, and drivers who quit/fired for one reason or another). But schools are businesses. I went to college, graduated, and before i ever started, was promiced that they'd help in job placement.

Bottom line is, dont rely on others to do your work for you. If you want something bad enough, you've gotta do it yourself.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Bottom line is, dont rely on others to do your work for you. If you want something bad enough, you've gotta do it yourself.
Sometimes it is "who you know".... networking helps! CAD!!!!! :thumbsup:
Old 07-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
YEAH, dont pay any attention to my post, even though i'm right. Though i did leave out the problem of WHERE one might be located. When it comes down to it, how bad you want a job also might depend on relocating (at your cost naturally).

But the OP is correct. recruiters are sales people. Schools are a business. Like em or not, they are out to make money just like anybody else. I scratch my head why any company would keep their schools open, especially when the freight is not there for added trucks. (and yes, i know there is turnaround, and drivers who quit/fired for one reason or another). But schools are businesses. I went to college, graduated, and before i ever started, was promiced that they'd help in job placement.

College educated wheel holder.

So THAT'S WHY you're so bitter, negative and IGNORANT most of the time. College educated MORON, calling OTHER PEOPLE STOOPID...

You ARE good for a LAUGH once in awhile, since NO ONE HERE TAKES YOU SERIOUSLY...

Rick
Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member

I can give you 3 tips that might get you in the door.

1. Be proactive and place a free ad on a site like kijiji.com (your town, job wanted); another good one is Truck Driving Jobs, Trucker jobs, Owner Operators, truckdrivingjobs, cdl jobs These are all free.

2. Talk to some trucking companies in ... Canada. 95% of our runs are into U.S. I'm Canadian and I can work for U.S. company; so can you work for a Canadian company. Challenger Motor Freight out of Cambridge, Ontario hired me with 0 experience in 2005, right out of the trucking school. Situation is different now but it may be worth a try.

3. Talk to employment agencies in your town. Sometimes they might hire a Class "A" driver for local work. This will give you experience for getting a better job later on.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 07-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

May I ask where you went to college and what your degree is? I am just curious because I thought that grammar, spelling, sentence construction, and punctuation where covered in freshman writing.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B View Post
May I ask where you went to college and what your degree is? I am just curious because I thought that grammar, spelling, sentence construction, and punctuation where covered in freshman writing.
Well, seeing how most truck drivers wouldnt know what a pronoun or an adjective is, i think i am one up on every toothless truck driver who can't speak clearly enough on the CB to understand just what the !#$% they are saying.

and in this day and age of texting while driving/crapping/eating/sleeping/ brushing your hair/having sex, good luck being a member of the spelling police.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
College educated wheel holder.

So THAT'S WHY you're so bitter, negative and IGNORANT most of the time. College educated MORON, calling OTHER PEOPLE STOOPID...

You ARE good for a LAUGH once in awhile, since NO ONE HERE TAKES YOU SERIOUSLY...

Rick
again, ask me if i care what you or anybody thinks about me. i dont give two shakes of my johnson after a 10-100 what you think about me.

as for an answer as to what i went to college for (as if i have to explain anything to anybody), my major was architecture and construction drafting. and before you start laughing, I had a couple paid jobs even before i had graduated. I much preferred being 'hands on' and drawing up the plans with my hands, and pens/pencils. Toward the end of the program, they started teaching us on AutoCad 13, and come to find out that most firms were using AutoCad. I can understand why, because it is 20x faster than doing things by hand, however I still enjoyed being 'hands on'. And i didnt continue down that road because i was no good or didnt have any permanent job offers, I wasn't going to jump thru the hoops they wanted me to jump thru. I can tell you that i've forgot more math that i learned for architecture than you'd ever learn in your whole life.