User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have always calculated the idle time on a 24 hour clock rather than running time.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

How idle time is calculated varies from company to company.

Some use the 24 hour clock. With others it is figured by the hours the engine is running. Unfortunately, most seem to use the latter.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you consider that most drivers are not going to be in their trucks 24/7 hitting a 30% or less idle time really isn't that difficult to achieve unless you are in extremely cold or hot temperatures for days on end. You can usually still be comfortable and keep idle time down. You might be surprised at how much idle time you can save by simply turning your truck off when you go in for a shower, pay for fuel or stop for a drink or food. Minutes here and there add up. Carriers are primarily after those who never seem to turn their trucks off. I think most want drivers to be comfortable. I believe you can do both other than certain times of year.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
How idle time is calculated varies from company to company.

Some use the 24 hour clock. With others it is figured by the hours the engine is running. Unfortunately, most seem to use the latter.
On all the trucks i had with Qualcom you could scroll through the menu and see what your fuel mileage and idle was and it changed in real time and the qualcom definitely figures the idle time based on the run time of the truck, you can watch it go up and down as the truck is sitting or moving when it is on and/or running.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
Most truck stops kick people out for sleeping in their lounge.
I watched the co-manager of the flying j in Jackson, MS hassle 3 Marines for getting a little shuteye waiting for a bus in the drivers lounge. The lounge had tons of free seats and the Marines weren't bothering anyone. I called the lady on it right in front of everyone and shamed her into leaving our soldiers alone.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
If you consider that most drivers are not going to be in their trucks 24/7 hitting a 30% or less idle time really isn't that difficult to achieve unless you are in extremely cold or hot temperatures for days on end. You can usually still be comfortable and keep idle time down. You might be surprised at how much idle time you can save by simply turning your truck off when you go in for a shower, pay for fuel or stop for a drink or food. Minutes here and there add up. Carriers are primarily after those who never seem to turn their trucks off. I think most want drivers to be comfortable. I believe you can do both other than certain times of year.
I used to run over the top of the Great Lakes year round from NH to WI and it was freakin cold in the winter. I don't think I ran over 30% except for the occasional week when a real, like sub 20 below, cold snap hit.

If companies are going to run way north in the winter and far south in the summer and they expect the idle to be down they should by generators for the trucks and stop hassleing the drivers.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I watched the co-manager of the flying j in Jackson, MS hassle 3 Marines for getting a little shuteye waiting for a bus in the drivers lounge. The lounge had tons of free seats and the Marines weren't bothering anyone. I called the lady on it right in front of everyone and shamed her into leaving our soldiers alone.

Way to go!