User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The reason some companies want trucks to idle less is due to the high cost of fuel. There are some drivers who never seem to shut their trucks off, regardless of the weather. Unless it is very hot or cold there is little reason to idle your truck. Other than the coldest or warmest times of year there is no reason for idle time to average more than 30% unless you never turn off your truck. I am not talking about each week, but when looked at quarterly, the idle time should not exceed the 30%. There are times when it isn't possible to be comfortable and keep idle time under 30%. Many times during spring and fall the temperature is comfortable and drivers still idle. I have checked my personal idle time when I am driving and find that I don't usually have a problem keeping my average well under 30%. If you feel the need to idle constantly, regardless of the weather, perhaps you should get out of your truck and take a walk and get some fresh air. It is much more healthy than sitting in a truck. With all the over weight drivers a brisk walk would make them feel better and could help reduce their waistline. :thumbsup:
Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Senior Board Member

We can idle as much as we need, They only ask that we shut the truck off if it will be idling for more then 5 minutes. If our a/c goes out on the road they will put us up in a motel each night till we get back to get it fixed at our shop. They hate getting a/c fixed out on the road.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Rookie

Our company trucks have CAT engines. Back when fuel was $4.15/ gal (TX) they put us on the CAT Rewards Program. The idle target is 35%: 8.4 hrs every 24 hr period.. Idle % is the heaviest weighted factor but they also mention shifting the C13 between 1200-1450rpm and other efficiency tips..
1. If you meet their targets, your truck gets bumped from the normal 65mph gov to 66mph.
I laughed when I read that.. but it's sure enough gotten me out of a serious number o Turtle Races and other idiot behavior situations.
2. If you hit their target 80% of the time, you get your 65mph knocked down to 64mph.
3. If you don't hit 80%, you're busted back to 62mph.

Fuel's down to $2.59 TX but we're still on the Program. There's a fairly even spread between our drivers at 66mph and 62mph, very few at that 64mph...
And yeah, no different from anyone else - they tell ya 'cut your idle time' while out the other side o the mouth it's "don't die out there."
At least we have the CAT Program as the "buffer."

:thumbsup:
Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Now, i dont have a problem with sleeping in the truck in the 80s, cause i have two fans, and as long as i can catch a breeze with my sleeper vents. However, any hotter, or really REALLY humid, specially when its in the 90s-100s, i really dont care, if i sit for 2 days without a load, then the truck will be running the whole damn time.

Now if i am at a terminal, or if i am REALLY desperate enough, a truck stop, and they have a little TV or movie area, ill go in there, but i can only really stand being around super negitive people for only so long. Watching a comedy, and you can always hear two jerk-offs crying about working $1.20/mi for that 1000 mile run they pick up tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Most truck stops kick people out for sleeping in their lounge.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46 View Post
Who do you drive for ?

How long you been driving ?
I start training with Central Refrigerated 7/6.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootHB View Post
Our company trucks have CAT engines. Back when fuel was $4.15/ gal (TX) they put us on the CAT Rewards Program. The idle target is 35%: 8.4 hrs every 24 hr period.. Idle % is the heaviest weighted factor but they also mention shifting the C13 between 1200-1450rpm and other efficiency tips..
1. If you meet their targets, your truck gets bumped from the normal 65mph gov to 66mph.
I laughed when I read that.. but it's sure enough gotten me out of a serious number o Turtle Races and other idiot behavior situations.
2. If you hit their target 80% of the time, you get your 65mph knocked down to 64mph.
3. If you don't hit 80%, you're busted back to 62mph.

Fuel's down to $2.59 TX but we're still on the Program. There's a fairly even spread between our drivers at 66mph and 62mph, very few at that 64mph...
And yeah, no different from anyone else - they tell ya 'cut your idle time' while out the other side o the mouth it's "don't die out there."
At least we have the CAT Program as the "buffer."

:thumbsup:

So the 30% idle time is 30% of 24 hrs which would be slightly less than 8hrs a day of idle time?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
Most truck stops kick people out for sleeping in their lounge.
Can ya blame 'em?

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure Werner dedicated wants 30% or less for non-APU trucks, and 5% or less with APU's. I don't know what it is on 48-state now.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Board Regular

I idle or shut my truck as much as i want, cause it's my own TRUCK.But as long as i don't have to, i prefer it shut off,just because i hate hearing engine noises when i sleep.I like my sleep quiet as it can be.Off course there are exceptions when you have the high 100's in az or the low temps on the east coast.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusa View Post
So the 30% idle time is 30% of 24 hrs which would be slightly less than 8hrs a day of idle time?
No, Think of it this way, if you drive 10hrs today then your allowed to idle the truck for 3hrs tonight. If you drive only 3hrs than you can idle alittle less than 1hr. The percentage is figured on DRIVEING time not on the 24 hr clock. In cool weather when you have a 1-3% idle you won't get an atta-boy and they won't "save" that extra time for you for when it's hot. Hope this helps and BOL