User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

at swift or any other carrier, you will NOT ever see that 36,000 a year, or more. your wife is fooling not only herself. she is also fooling you. she doesn't drive tractor-trailers for a living. what does she know? when you're finally out there with the sharks, you'll eventually wake up and realize you've made a big, big mistake. OTR trucking is a giant venus flytrap, black hole, whirl pool, vortex, etc....once you're in, you're stukt and ***t.

stay with your current job. swift now charges more per weekly advance. it used to be $2.00 or something like that. with a hundred dollar advance every week. that's 5200 dollars a year that goes straight to your pocket. 100 bucks doesn't really last an entire week..if you do shower on a daily basis, and eat semi-decent meals. that 5200 within the year plus the other otr expenses you pay for, and you're looking at well over $11,000 of your gross pay all spent. in 2008, i grossed $33,698. i had very little to nothing to show for it. my road expenses and cash advances took nearly half of it. bills took another good chunk. after it was all said and done, i had something like $5,000 leftover. i still came out more than even. i barely made it, however.

mind you, i will admit to having fudged my logbook here and there in order to do something. unlike dollarshort, i will admit to making flagrant fudges in order to do runs that were impossible otherwise. the payoff was very little. there's really no difference in the legalized and illegal way of running. there's a LOT more to gamble when/if i ever got caught. fortunately i never did.

before i cut this off, i really believe you should spend 18 1/2 minutes to watch a video mackman posted a little while back. it's called sleep when you can. drive when you have to. not a single shred of information is an exaggeration. if you're still convinced you'll make the big dollars, go ahead and wreck any kind of life you once had.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Senior Board Member

While most of you guys are giving experiences from the McMega carriers that is fine, and probably exactly what he will exoerience in the first 1-2 years I think it needs to be said that just like any other job you need to do what is necessarry to get some experience.

Once he has 2 years in I believe that there are plenty of jobs out there where he can find much better pay and home time, if he and his family are willing to make a sacrafice for up to 2 years then there are plenty of doors that will open up at that time if he keeps his record clean and doesn't job hop.

I wish some of you guys would give your driving experience when you give this advice, some of you haven't even made it to the 2 year mark yet and have also had major accidents and you are giving your experinces as if it is what he can expect for the long term.

IMO in 2 years we may very well be in a drivers market again and if you have 2 years in and no major marks on your record I think you could have your choice of premium jobs at that time.

I think that no one that has 2 years experience should drive for one of the training compainies, unless you work into a nice dedicated run, but to get your time and experience I think they serve a purpose, too bad some of the better training companies have stopped their training programs, but it is what it is and I think there are plenty of worse jobs to do, with or without hometime.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Board Regular

With all the negative comments around here, you wonder why the hell ANYONE would want to become a truck driver.

While it's certainly unrealistic to expect to make any REAL $$ in the first year or two - the "instant gratification" attitude and lack of willingness to "pay your dues" is in great part responsible for false expectations and disappointments voiced by a lot of folks on this board.

Trucking is a TRADE - like any trade, you have to start at the BOTTOM. Unless you have some "in" with a family member or good friend, expect to be treated like a "field nigra" for the first year, or even two. Expect to have to COMPROMISE in many ways - in exchange for finding a company that will take you on as a NEWBIE DRIVER. In other trades (unionized for example) you had to get a JOURNEYMAN'S card, and get all the s*%t jobs, until you were a MASTER as evidenced by your experience, professionalism and ability to do quality work.

I'm not even finished with school yet - and I've already accepted that if trucking is going to be my career choice, and that being OTR means a lifestyle choice also (no big deal, since a bankruptcy and foreclosure will leave me with no home to even be concerned about "home time").

Got no family, no steady girl, LOVE DRIVING, love traveling, love being alone, don't have a home to support or get home to - so being an OTR trucker seems a very logical choice for ME. I DID the family stuff, the homeowner stuff, the owning my own business stuff - I'm DONE AND OVER IT. It may be less so for others that DO have the things (home, family, etc.) that I DON'T. I'm not going in expecting to get rich, or even make a bunch of $$ for the first few years. I'm using the tips I've gotten from the many boards that I read, to better prepare myself for what to expect from this career choice (DON'T even think about buying a truck or leasing for awhile, among other REALLY GOOD suggestions).

So, for ME - I just want to get out there - start racking up miles and months. I want to run safe, legal and PROFESSIONAL, and become an ASSET to the trucking community. I'm more than willing to work hard and pay my dues - instead of whining like some little "female dog" about how being a newbie sucks.

I've been spending some time at some of the local distribution centers (no truck stops near Fort Lauderdale) talking to company drivers from various companies that appear willing to hire newb's (swift, schnieder, werner, etc.) and for every negative comment I read on internet boards - these drivers don't seem as whiney in person - as anonymous folks on the internet seem.

bluebikerboy - as with any new trade - don't set your expectations on being able to bring home any particular $$ amount - when it's not a 40 hr. a week, hourly/salary position. Expectations lead to DISAPPOINTMENT and RESENTMENT. There ARE NO SHORTCUTS - time takes TIME. EXPECT to be shat upon, and treated like someone who should want reparations for slavery. Otherwise - find a job that DOES GUARANTEE a REGULAR WAGE - as it appears trucking - for both newbie AND oldtimer, DOES NOT...

Rick
Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
So, for ME - I just want to get out there - start racking up miles and months. I want to run safe, legal and PROFESSIONAL, and become an ASSET to the trucking community. I'm more than willing to work hard and pay my dues - instead of whining like some little "female dog" about how being a newbie sucks.

I've been spending some time at some of the local distribution centers (no truck stops near Fort Lauderdale) talking to company drivers from various companies that appear willing to hire newb's (swift, schnieder, werner, etc.) and for every negative comment I read on internet boards - these drivers don't seem as whiney in person - as anonymous folks on the internet seem.
Perfect! Well said.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Rick

Having been to more distrubution centers than I care to remember, I wonder how you managed to access them. I have been fully loaded with a BOL and have had trouble getting access, and I was supposed to be there.

As for the companies you mentioned that are hiring, I don't know about the others, but I do know that SNI is NOT hiring inexperienced drivers. They have closed all there STA's and only take on experienced drivers.

The OP gave information as to what his salary needs are, and what his expectations of the first year should be. The information I gave him only relates to what he asked for and not his future as a driver. He indicated in the first post he would need 40K per year, and lowered his needs as the posts went on. He went down from needing 40k to not needing that much and having 6 months reserves to live on. Based on his initial post he would not make what he needs to survive driving a truck, period. Had his circumstances been different, perhaps the advice would have been different.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
With all the negative comments around here, you wonder why the hell ANYONE would want to become a truck driver.

While it's certainly unrealistic to expect to make any REAL $$ in the first year or two - the "instant gratification" attitude and lack of willingness to "pay your dues" is in great part responsible for false expectations and disappointments voiced by a lot of folks on this board.

Trucking is a TRADE - like any trade, you have to start at the BOTTOM. Unless you have some "in" with a family member or good friend, expect to be treated like a "field nigra" for the first year, or even two. Expect to have to COMPROMISE in many ways - in exchange for finding a company that will take you on as a NEWBIE DRIVER. In other trades (unionized for example) you had to get a JOURNEYMAN'S card, and get all the s*%t jobs, until you were a MASTER as evidenced by your experience, professionalism and ability to do quality work.
Well Said X2!!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
Having been to more distrubution centers than I care to remember, I wonder how you managed to access them. I have been fully loaded with a BOL and have had trouble getting access, and I was supposed to be there.
Wasn't talking about, like a WalMart distro center, or the like. Pompano Beach has the Farmers Market and a couple of places nearby that do reefer loads and have a good combination of O/O, lease and company rigs coming in & out. It's not a gated yard, and "civilians" can get in and out to the dock area. So I catch guys waiting for a door, or waiting to be loaded/unloaded and strike up a conversation.

Ya never really even know if 1/2 the folks on most internet trucking boards have gotten any closer to a truck than having one blow by them on the interstate - anonymity of internet boards and all. At least talking to someone in the cab, you can get the REAL SCOOP on what a particular company is like...

Rick
Old 05-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Wasn't talking about, like a WalMart distro center, or the like. Pompano Beach has the Farmers Market and a couple of places nearby that do reefer loads and have a good combination of O/O, lease and company rigs coming in & out. It's not a gated yard, and "civilians" can get in and out to the dock area. So I catch guys waiting for a door, or waiting to be loaded/unloaded and strike up a conversation.

Ya never really even know if 1/2 the folks on most internet trucking boards have gotten any closer to a truck than having one blow by them on the interstate - anonymity of internet boards and all. At least talking to someone in the cab, you can get the REAL SCOOP on what a particular company is like...

Rick
I can assure you with 100% accuracy and assuredly that I am right now sitting in the sleeper of a Volvo 780 Semi, using my laptop after a day of driving bobtail . Also as a former Swift driver, I am quite capable of giving out details on Swift also currently driving for an O/O and having to deal with brokers directly, as well as truck maintenance and certain financial dealings that company drivers will never have to mess with, I also can give you with much confidence much useful information from an o/o perspective. I think I am qualified enough to dish out advise and opinions.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
I can assure you with 100% accuracy and assuredly that I am right now sitting in the sleeper of a Volvo 780 Semi, using my laptop after a day of driving bobtail . Also as a former Swift driver, I am quite capable of giving out details on Swift also currently driving for an O/O and having to deal with brokers directly, as well as truck maintenance and certain financial dealings that company drivers will never have to mess with, I also can give you with much confidence much useful information from an o/o perspective. I think I am qualified enough to dish out advise and opinions.

Wasn't meant as an insult - or to call anyone out - just a statement of fact. You can be whomever you want on an internet discussion forum. I like going out and sitting with folks face-2-face. Not that I don't get some great insight(s) on the forums I read - just nothing beats one-on-one with a live person...

Rick
Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Wasn't meant as an insult - or to call anyone out - just a statement of fact. You can be whomever you want on an internet discussion forum. I like going out and sitting with folks face-2-face. Not that I don't get some great insight(s) on the forums I read - just nothing beats one-on-one with a live person...

Rick
I didn't take it personal, I guess my post might seem like it though... But you can rest assured most of the people that posted in this thread already are indeed drivers.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt