User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
No, I am going in a different direction, I am now in Paramedic School, and will begin RN training fall of 2010. Local driving jobs are hard to find and I am getting the majority of my schooling paid for, so I thought I would take advantage of it. There is a huge shortage in many of the medical fields here, and the pay and benefits are just out of this world. I know the work is hard and the hours are long, but I will be 3 miles away from my house, not 3000, that makes a big difference.

My plan is to go back OTR in about 10 years after my kids fly the coop. I should be financially sound and can drive just for the enjoyment of it. Yes I know many of you here don't like OTR, but I did, I am the kind of person who likes to be out and on my own, and I loved traversing back and forth across this beautiful country of ours. This time I won't be driving for the money, just for the fun of it.

Ya know, that's the same around here. If you are in the medical field, jobs come a dime a dozen. Medical personnel are always needed here. Local driving jobs...you can forget it. The local small companies don't pay anything, and it takes an act of congress to get on with the LTL freight companies.
It's good that you are finding a good job with the Paramedics.

I think OTR is good for those who enjoy it, yes. Good for single folks, or for those that have either adapted to it, or those that their children are grown, etc.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
right over to Carney's Point hook for a romantic dinner.

Funny thing is me and her eat there for real one time abount 1.5-2 years ago. :rofl::rofl:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
No, I am going in a different direction, I am now in Paramedic School, and will begin RN training fall of 2010. Local driving jobs are hard to find and I am getting the majority of my schooling paid for, so I thought I would take advantage of it. There is a huge shortage in many of the medical fields here, and the pay and benefits are just out of this world. I know the work is hard and the hours are long, but I will be 3 miles away from my house, not 3000, that makes a big difference.

My plan is to go back OTR in about 10 years after my kids fly the coop. I should be financially sound and can drive just for the enjoyment of it. Yes I know many of you here don't like OTR, but I did, I am the kind of person who likes to be out and on my own, and I loved traversing back and forth across this beautiful country of ours. This time I won't be driving for the money, just for the fun of it.
Much kudos to you for realizing what is important in your life and having the cajones to do something about it. Whenever I hear guys on the road with a story of their family like yours and they are complaining I ask them why they dont quit and go into something else? Your family is very important and your kids will only grow up once, cliche but true.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Board Regular

That's true ,family life can be hard while being OTR.At 25 with a wife i know how it is.No kids yet but hey,when i'll have them i plan on staying home and managing my trucking business and getting into brokerage or something like that.For the first year, i was fortunate to have my wife with me on the road.We were able to stop and see all the country from washington dc to california and even canada.Good memories i would say.Right now,being by myself OTR, i can't wait to come home!!!!Best of luck in your new career.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Old 05-03-2009, 03:25 AM

Thanks b00m & jonp,

I really loved the road, and it was bitter-sweet when I made the decision to leave. But I knew my family really struggled with it when I went out. So I decided to it was time, luckily, my wife is supportive and knows how much I miss the road & the time will come again when I get back into the saddle. This time there will be no kids waiting for me and she can go with me. My hope is by then things will be better and I will buy my own truck and not be at the company's mercy. But time will tell, and I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 AM

Sounds Great Congrats. :thumbsup:

Heck im away from the home at most two nights, My kids and wife hate it. It is way better than OTR 6 weeks at a time :eek2: I get the weekends off as well :thumbsup: Till baseball season for my boy is over.:thumbsup:
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --grande-- View Post
Sounds Great Congrats. :thumbsup:

Heck im away from the home at most two nights, My kids and wife hate it. It is way better than OTR 6 weeks at a time :eek2: I get the weekends off as well :thumbsup: Till baseball season for my boy is over.:thumbsup:

Exactly, things like watching your son play baseball are things that you should be there for. You don't get those times back, they are gone forever.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Smile

Quote:
This for all those who are considering an OTR career, if you have a family especially children at home, think long and hard about it. I started out just one year ago went through the school and got my truck and went out on the road. I loved everything about driving OTR, I was able to go to places I never been before, met a lot of great people, and made decent money. I ran teams and stayed out about six weeks at a time, when I got home I never had less than 5 days off, I did not answer my phone when i got home, if it was my company.

The job itself was not hard, get a load trip plan and deliver, easy. The hardest part was directions from the company, never accurate, and I got lost more times than not. The two places i hated to deliver were anywhere in New Jersey, and Chicago. Anywhere else was usually OK. I ate well, took time to rest, and showered everyday, no reason why you can't. My problem was I really started to miss my family while I was out. Even driving teams my partner was usually sleeping while I drove and we did not talk much unless we were eating or fueling or on break. But those long miles would really make me start to think about my kids, the game I missed, the awards ceremony I missed, or just tucking them in at night. I talked to them everyday and emailed pictures of the places I was or had been. When I did get home it was good, we would catch up and it was business as usual. The straw that broke the camels back was the last time I went out , just as I left, my little girl just broke down and cried, she begged me not to go, but i had to. I could not get that picture out of my head, and it was heartbreaking. I did not realize the toll it was taking on my family, it was just too hard on them for me to be gone for 6 weeks at a time, and I did not see it until I started to think about it. I did not know how much they needed me to be there, so I decided at that point that would be my last time out. I did make a commitment to the company, but my committment to my family had to come first.

I let the company know that I would be leaving, and they were not happy, my teaming partner was happy, as he wanted to be with his family as well. I offered to give my two weeks, but they said turn in the truck and get your stuff and leave, so i did. I was clear across counrty and had to fly home, but it was OK. After that I was really glad to leave them, I thought i was doing the right thing and tried to give enough notice, and even offered to go back out so they would have time to replace us. But they were not interested.

I have no ill will against the company, for the most part they treated me very well, I never felt as though they did not care about me, maybe they did'nt, but i always felt at home at any terminal I went to. I dont think there is really a great way to leave a trucking company, it just seems to be the nature of the beast. They want a butt in the seat, and if it's not you it will be someone else. You really are just a number, but I never felt that way.

I ould just say if you are thinking about a carer on the road, it is a great way to make a living, and can pay well, but if you have a family at home think about them first. Ireally believe it is harder on them than it is on you. You can always drive a truck, but you can't always watch your kids grow up. In a year you will miss more than you think.

Good Luck and Drive Safe.
Great post. Makes me remember the long year I spent otr and why going back would be a last resort. Im glad your family has you back :-)
Old 05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Ya know, that's the same around here. If you are in the medical field, jobs come a dime a dozen. Medical personnel are always needed here. Local driving jobs...you can forget it. The local small companies don't pay anything, and it takes an act of congress to get on with the LTL freight companies.
It's good that you are finding a good job with the Paramedics.

I think OTR is good for those who enjoy it, yes. Good for single folks, or for those that have either adapted to it, or those that their children are grown, etc.
One of my friends just graduated from nursing school and cant find a job in the medical field. So what is a good job market in one part of the country is tight in another.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Funny thing is me and her eat there for real one time abount 1.5-2 years ago. :rofl::rofl:
I bet that was one sweet first date.