User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Explain it.....what's the point. You will just argue every thing anyone has to say to you.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Just yesterday morning I had a delivery in downtown Chicago, right in the club area, I got there at 2am (Wasn't the best time or idea that I thought it was before going), get to consignee, which was a construction site, but of course this is downtown CHI, and where the construction site was was around smaller skyscrapers, it itself being a skyscraper, I saw nowhere to park, so I just sat there in the road and put my flashers on. I did NOT bother to call anyone, it was Chicago at 2 am with the clubs roaring, a cop would pass by soon enough, well they did, 3 of them without ever stopping to ask me wtf I was doing, finally I flagged one down, and asked him where I could park at until 6 am, because I wasn't moving without knowing what low clearances etc where in the area (There where a lot), luckily he said there was a wide area just after the construction site, sure enough there was big enough for me to park for a few hours. But the point is, if you get stuck in a situation where you see no way out, DONT MOVE, it could make it worse, I would rather sit and block traffic, where they had an easy out to go around me by going around the block, then go up to a low clearence and not be able to go in any direction but backwards.

BTW I had no idea my delivery was downtown, on the map it appeared to be way north of downtown! Plus the shipper told me it was way north of downtown and would have plenty of areas to park! Don't listen to directions from shippers either

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
Explain it.....what's the point. You will just argue every thing anyone has to say to you.
+1...

Old 04-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Ohh in my post I forgot to say what I originally planned to say anyway, doing construction deliveries, I tend to have to back into/around/near traffic/roads/buildings/wierd stuff just about every day. You do get used to it. I usually get the elevator techs to spot/hold traffic for me. I delivered to Iowa State U this morning, had to blindside back around an entire block of frat houses with cars parked on either side of the street which where barely wide enough for 2 cars to get by eachother.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
You got out of your truck to move a detour sign and you wonder why the cop is pissed?

I would have called them. You said that didnt work. I would also try the CB. If it was only a couple hundred yards then I would have turned on the 4 ways and walked down there to check it out. If you were blocking traffic and couldnt leave the truck then you have to circle around and find a way to pull over, then get out and walk.

As for calling the police thats a judgement call. I'm not going to say you were wrong but most drivers get out of a jam on their own. When you have to back into traffic just make sure there is no one there, go slowly, turn on the flashers, toot the horn a few times and keep backing. Sometimes you have to bully your way out like you would at a concert or football game. If you sit there waiting no one is going to give you a break. They may not like waiting but they dont want to get run over either so they'll stay out of your way, barely. Yes it sucks and its nerve racking but any seasoned driver has had to do it. When I did P&D I had to stop traffic every day. I was nervous the first few times but now its second nature. They just have to wait, tough titties, sorry bout your luck.
you obviously dont take the time to read posts very carefully. It wasnt a detour sign, it was a 'road closed to thru traffic' sign. And where did i ever say the cop was present when i moved the barricade? the only time the cop was present when I was next to the barricade was when i was backing out after traffic was stopped.

and also tell me, i back into traffic without assistance, then some nut comes flyin' around the corner, and parks his/her car under my trailer. Maybe dies in the process?? So i am to keep my ego from being hurt, by not calling 911 for officer assistance to PREVENT such an accident? that is just plain stupid. You're saying a human life isnt worth a phone call.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
maybe if you have something VALID and constructive to remark about, sure.....fire away. but when your post can usually be paraphrased with "gawd damm you're stupid".....kinda dont fly with me.....
Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

i guess what puzzles me the most, is how the frick is that a ticketable offense???
Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
i guess what puzzles me the most, is how the frick is that a ticketable offense???
You entered a closed construction zone. That is a ticketable offense.

Quote:
When i try to explain that it was an error in judgement that i tried making the turn, it was a judgement made with incomplete information.
Ignorance is never a defense.* Just because you didn't preplan your route does not clear you from violating the law by entering a closed construction zone. The proper thing to do would be to cross reference the directions you were given with a map, and confirm the directions with the shipper prior to your delivery time. You would have then found out that the phone number you had was no good, and could have sought out a phone number that works.

*I am not using the word "ignorance" in the way I'm sure you'll claim I am, so don't bother reporting the post.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

no i didnt think you were. and everybody can @#$-in quit giving me crap. you all can go @#$% yourselves.....
Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I dont think I would have called 911. The local police usually have a non-emergency number. After that car parks itself under your trailer and possibly dies THEN you should call 911.