Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R View Post
:lol2:

I see they let him drive a box truck around Pittsburgh:lol:
I missed the low clearance sign at the bridge in Donora!
JK!!
She was a beauty though!
I just had to get a picture of that when I pulled into New Stanton yesterday. You would THINK they would've stopped after hearing the first 2 or 3 panels ripping to shreads..
Naaaaahhh....
:rofl::clap:

Adapt and overcome.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 AM
Rookie

Just got back from talking to a Schneider recruiter today. The same one who had me fill out an application and told me "we're desperate for people so it's a sure thing for anyone with no DUI or felonies" (I have neither). That was back around December 2nd, and I was told the next group going for training would be around the end of Feb, and that I'd hear back by the end of December.

Well I didn't hear anything, so I started calling, and emailing, and leaving voicemails, (none of which were answered or returned). I called the main number and was told "Due to the economic climate we are no longer hiring inexperience drivers." Ok, fine. But doing a search on their website still shows "Hey we need inexperienced drivers here at this location! Come down to the job fair!"

So I once again made the 3 hour commute down to the bulk hub in NJ. The guy didn't remember who I was, so I had to explain that I was wondering why I couldn't get a reply out of him as to whether or not my application was alive or dead or what. He said that currently that hub has more loads than drivers to take them, but the company has shut down all 5 schools and not taking anyone with less than 6 months experience. Period. I asked if it would make a difference if I got my CDL on my own (I'm working on getting Welfare to pay for it through training programs) and he said no, I'd still need to somehow get 6 months of experience before they'll even look at me. Apparently their plan to find drivers for the understaffed hub is to "Wait for the hundreds of other trucking companies we know are about to go under and pick off the best drivers first." Apparently only when this option is exhausted will they start training people again.

He suggested I apply for various clerical, managerial, IT, or other jobs (and relocate from NYC to Green Bay in the process). I'm not too thrilled with that idea right now.

So, any idea if there's anywhere else I can go? I'm open to suggestions.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:09 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldm View Post
Just got back from talking to a Schneider recruiter today. The same one who had me fill out an application and told me "we're desperate for people so it's a sure thing for anyone with no DUI or felonies" (I have neither). That was back around December 2nd, and I was told the next group going for training would be around the end of Feb, and that I'd hear back by the end of December.

Well I didn't hear anything, so I started calling, and emailing, and leaving voicemails, (none of which were answered or returned). I called the main number and was told "Due to the economic climate we are no longer hiring inexperience drivers." Ok, fine. But doing a search on their website still shows "Hey we need inexperienced drivers here at this location! Come down to the job fair!"

So I once again made the 3 hour commute down to the bulk hub in NJ. The guy didn't remember who I was, so I had to explain that I was wondering why I couldn't get a reply out of him as to whether or not my application was alive or dead or what. He said that currently that hub has more loads than drivers to take them, but the company has shut down all 5 schools and not taking anyone with less than 6 months experience. Period. I asked if it would make a difference if I got my CDL on my own (I'm working on getting Welfare to pay for it through training programs) and he said no, I'd still need to somehow get 6 months of experience before they'll even look at me. Apparently their plan to find drivers for the understaffed hub is to "Wait for the hundreds of other trucking companies we know are about to go under and pick off the best drivers first." Apparently only when this option is exhausted will they start training people again.

He suggested I apply for various clerical, managerial, IT, or other jobs (and relocate from NYC to Green Bay in the process). I'm not too thrilled with that idea right now.

So, any idea if there's anywhere else I can go? I'm open to suggestions.

Try C.R. England. Tell them you want to do a lease purchase as soon as possible. They will have you on the next bus to where ever C.R England drivers come from. :moon:

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
Try C.R. England. Tell them you want to do a lease purchase as soon as possible. They will have you on the next bus to where ever C.R England drivers come from. :moon:

Sorry but I'm too new at this to know if this is sarcasm or serious. Anyone second this idea?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Sorry but I'm too new at this to know if this is sarcasm or serious. Anyone second this idea?

It's sarcasm.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Biscuit Lips, I think you meant they would have you on the next bus to where ever C.R. England drivers GO TO. And DO NOT do a lease/never own deal from ANYONE.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Rookie

Thanks. I'm kinda getting desperate. I really need to find work and supposedly the "sure thing" kinda evaporated on me, so now I don't know what to do.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Wow...am I really the only one here who DOESN'T hate Pilots?

The majority of my company's fuel stops are pilots, and I make sure that's the ONLY place I fuel at, for the simple reason that I get all my "reward" points there. During the month of November, I bought over 1,000 gallons at Pilots, and they gave me another 1,000 points extra last month for it...so, I earned $10.00 for simply spending my employer's money at Pilots...

They are almost always clean, well lit, and very consistent...much more so than the majority of T/As....

I actually enjoy difficult backs...great practice! I was at the Pilot in London, OH one time, and there was one decent spot that two different drivers before me tried to get into. They couldn't make it, and eventually gave up...but I did! Doesn't bother me....

The man makes a good point!!!!!!

Gator
Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks. I'm kinda getting desperate. I really need to find work and supposedly the "sure thing" kinda evaporated on me, so now I don't know what to do.
Do Not Go to CR England training!!! IMO they have the worst and less then human treatment for there trainies!!! First your gonna go to salt lake city and be stuck in a standard size hotel room with two beds with 8 other drivers! Your gonna be on roll away cots and smelling the stinky Butts of your roomies. Then they own your sole. I believe you have to drive for them for 18 months before your debt is paid off!! outta all the schools out here I have never heard anything good about CRE training program.

If you have the means to get schooling on your own you are in the long run gonna be in much better shape.

Good luck!!

Gator