User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I can't imagine there would be many drivers who would be foolish enough to not set their trailer brakes when they are backed into a dock to be either loaded or unloaded. The only reason that I would not set my trailer brakes is due to being in very cold weather where there is a lot of snow and ice. In that case trailer brakes could freeze due to moisture being on the brakes. I would still set them while backed into a dock.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I can't imagine there would be many drivers who would be foolish enough to not set their trailer brakes when they are backed into a dock to be either loaded or unloaded. The only reason that I would not set my trailer brakes is due to being in very cold weather where there is a lot of snow and ice. In that case trailer brakes could freeze due to moisture being on the brakes. I would still set them while backed into a dock.
I normally don't set my trailer brakes when I'm parked in a truck stop. Force of habit. But being parked in a truck stop is a far cry from being loaded or unloaded in a dock. Only a fool would equate one with the other.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
No It was directed at TomB895...because drivers don't normally set the trailer breaks when getting loaded or unloaded at docks ,and it has nothing to with being lazy infact if you just pop the more effort than just setting both ,but under nomrmal circumstances there are reasons to not set both .
I'm afraid you're wrong about this one. At the dock is the one time I DO SET ALL BRAKES. In a truck stop or nearly anywhere else, I only set the tractor brakes, especially in winter when the brakes can freeze to the drums. But, at the dock, ALL MY BRAKES ARE SET.

Ever see a trailer "raise it's doors up" while at the dock? I got to see another one last week. The driver backed in, unhooked, and as he pulled out from under the trailer, the back end went up into the air. The floor about 7 feet above the dock. A heavy, partial load was all in front of the landing-gear. Just last week.

Another time, with a load of aluminized paper, when the forklift had the last roll, the rig moved forward enough to drop the dockplate. The forklift dropped the back wheels into the gap between the trailer and the dock. The counterweight resting on the dock, and about a two foot gap between the trailer and the dock. The drives of the tractor were about an inch off the ground. That means the brakes on the tractor did absolutely no good at all. Brakes on the trailer were not set. I also know that the driver was terminated because of that. At the time, he and I worked for the same company. Forklift operators have been seriously hurt, and even killed because of that.

I won't call you lazy for not setting the trailer brakes at the dock, but I will call you very careless.

If I'm correct, you do not have ten years experience yet. You are not qualified to make this statement. Always set ALL BRAKES, and chock your wheels when at a loading dock. It's the careless drivers, the ones that don't give a damn, that don't set all brakes.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong about this one. At the dock is the one time I DO SET ALL BRAKES. In a truck stop or nearly anywhere else, I only set the tractor brakes, especially in winter when the brakes can freeze to the drums. But, at the dock, ALL MY BRAKES ARE SET.

Ever see a trailer "raise it's doors up" while at the dock? I got to see another one last week. The driver backed in, unhooked, and as he pulled out from under the trailer, the back end went up into the air. The floor about 7 feet above the dock. A heavy, partial load was all in front of the landing-gear. Just last week.

Another time, with a load of aluminized paper, when the forklift had the last roll, the rig moved forward enough to drop the dockplate. The forklift dropped the back wheels into the gap between the trailer and the dock. The counterweight resting on the dock, and about a two foot gap between the trailer and the dock. The drives of the tractor were about an inch off the ground. That means the brakes on the tractor did absolutely no good at all. Brakes on the trailer were not set. I also know that the driver was terminated because of that. At the time, he and I worked for the same company. Forklift operators have been seriously hurt, and even killed because of that.

I won't call you lazy for not setting the trailer brakes at the dock, but I will call you very careless.

If I'm correct, you do not have ten years experience yet. You are not qualified to make this statement. Always set ALL BRAKES, and chock your wheels when at a loading dock. It's the careless drivers, the ones that don't give a damn, that don't set all brakes.

Brilliant YT. As a noob, I so appreciate sound advice. :bow:
Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit102 View Post
With at 30/30 spring brake chamber, you have about the equivelant of 30 psi of brake apply pressure with the spring brake and it takes about 30 psi of supply pressure to overcome the force of the spring to release the brakes.
Thanks, Bandit, I never knew how much pressure they were supposed to have...always wondered about that....

So, with just the tractor brakes set, you have 2/10ths of your total brakes acting to hold the vehicle still, at ~30% of their rated stopping power.....

Still here, BJ?:smokin:

YT/Windwalker, Never see either of those happen, but have heard lots of stories. My thinking has always been CYA... If I don't set all of the brakes, and something happens, any incident involving the truck moving when it shouldn't will be attributed to "driver error" or neglect. I've seen lots of people get fired for these kinds of accusations. Not worth it for me.

So...can anyone enlighten me...what are the supposed "reasons" for a driver to not use the trailer brakes at a dock. I've heard of brakes freezing, but much of the year that's not even a factor, so why do people do it.

I've also been told to prevent that, you can use your trailer hand brake to lightly drag the brakes as you pull up to the dock. Supposedly, this will dry out the brake linings and drums, so there's no water to freeze....anyone tried this?

Last edited by TomB985; 11-22-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
So...can anyone enlighten me...what are the supposed "reasons" for a driver to not use the trailer brakes at a dock. I've heard of brakes freezing, but much of the year that's not even a factor, so why do people do it.

I've also been told to prevent that, you can use your trailer hand brake to lightly drag the brakes as you pull up to the dock. Supposedly, this will dry out the brake linings and drums, so there's no water to freeze....anyone tried this?
Lightly engaging the brakes will warm them up. But, to prevent freezing, you will need to get them a bit warmer. You want to make sure that you have all the moisture evaporated from them. That means, lightly dragging the brakes for about half a mile or so. You need to get them warm enough so that there is no moisture left. Just warming them up a little will melt any ice in them and while you are sitting at the dock in below freezing weather, it can freeze back up, between the shoes and the drum.

I've seen guys pull into the fuel island and fuel up, only to have to get a service truck with a torch to heat up the drums and un-freeze them so they could leave the fuel island. I generally do not set my trailer brakes in fuel islands because of that, and when parked in a truck stop, I leave them released. If the road is full of slush, I will drag my trailer for a short diistance before I get to the customer so that they are dry when I'm in the dock. I can not think of any reason why anyone would only set the tractor at the dock. To me, that's just careless, stupid, and dangerous.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO View Post
I can not think of any reason why anyone would only set the tractor at the dock. To me, that's just careless, stupid, and dangerous.
Apparently, Big Jeep is all three of those things. I'm still waiting for his awesome explanation to that one....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When a forklift enters a truck it can do so with a lot of force. This can push the truck from the dock if the brakes are not properly set. In fact, even with brakes set they can still move out slightly. That is why some require drivers to chock their wheels. I have seen a forklift on the ground after a truck was pushed out from the brakes not being properly set. Some docks have dot bumper locks to prevent the truck from moving or a careless driver from pulling out while he is being loaded. Most accidents happen from people becoming complacent or careless. It only takes a second for something devastating to happen in this business.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Cool

[quote=Bandit102;424628]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Yes Tom...You can "pop" the brakes at 5mph to stop the truck. Your still going to cause component failure, because the "Spring Brake" is not designed to stop a moving truck. It is designed to hold in place a stopped truck.

Quote:
Once you pull the buttons, you have no recourse. You don't have time to release the brakes to prevent damage. Damage to components can include damaged "S" cams, pads pulled off of rivets, blown brake chambers and even drums can be cracked, from the inertia of the moving vehicle.

Dead wrong. With at 30/30 spring brake chamber, you have about the equivelant of 30 psi of brake apply pressure with the spring brake and it takes about 30 psi of supply pressure to overcome the force of the spring to release the brakes. Its not going to hurt a damn thing. Popping the valves is about the equivelant of a stop (panic stop, in my book) with 30 psi of apply pressure.

Also, I have NEVER seen a CAT wheel loader, short of a 992 or so, that would push a 78000 pound truck around. 30 feet? I'm calling BS.

Trucks with both brake valves set being pushed far enough from a loading dock to drop the dock plate with a forklift running in and out? Maybe on ice. Otherwise, I gotta call BS on that one too.

Some of us have been out here a bit too long to buy these trucker stories.

Now, to the OP, it looks to me like the brakes probably weren't set on either tractor or trailer. That truck is a hell of a long way away from that dock. I don't see how that could have happened with any resistance at all from the truck. (i.e. at least one axle worth of brakes set)
:hellno::hellno::hellno::hellno:
First off.....No where in this thread have I agreed with anyone, that not setting brakes at a dock was ok. I did ask jorlee if he felt like he was banging his head against a dock, given some of the replies he was receiving.

Now....explain to me how setting the brakes on a moving tractor trailer unit, that is loaded and weighing in at 75,000 to 80,000 pounds, is not harmful to the brake components?

Over the years, I have had to hammer stop, to avoid running over cars that cut me off then stopped in the lane. A couple times, I was fully loaded, and had pads pulled free from the rivets holding them to the shoe, "S" cams that rolled over, and drums which cracked from the preassure.

The brakes of today, are far and away different from what they were in 1980 or 1960. Today, you do not find a "spring brake release" knob on the dash of the truck or on the trailer anywhere, like you did in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

The "Anti-lock" brakes of today are leaps and bounds different from the "anti-lock" brakes first developed in the early 80's. Maybe that is why Tom feels popping the knobs on a loaded truck is ok? He is depending on the "anti-lock" system to work. Only thing is....the anti-lock is not part of the parking brake system. Parking brakes and service brakes are two seperate actions.

No...I stand by my statement. YOU DO NOT "POP" the knobs, on a moving truck...even in dire emergencies. I am not a mechanic and can not quote ratios and numbers. I do however have common sense, and use it frequently.

You do set truck and trailer brakes when unloading....even on flatbed, stepdeck and RGN equipment. I have never said you didn't. I pull tanks, and have been to several plants where they will not even hookup, if they cannot confirm the tractor and trailer brakes are set, chock blocks or not.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Board Icon

There are even places where you must disconnect your red line, and they put a GLADHAND LOCK in place until you're loaded or unloaded. Try to do that without setting your trailer brakes... I DARE YOU...