LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
again, how do u know how the trainer was running the truck?? You ASSume that the trainer was running the student-driver as hard as he could, to get the truck to run as many miles a day as it could, wearing out the student-driver. and you ASSume, that this is a problem indigineous to Swift. Sorry to say pal, that they are not the only company with students and a driving school. But like i said in my previous post, we all start somewhere.

Oh, and it isnt the company that 'insists' on running new drivers like teams, it is the poor-quality, money hungry mentors who are the ones to blame.
Kevin...do you need your eyes checked?

When did I EVER say that Swift pushed trainers to run as a team. NEVER happened. I, however, KNOW of some companies who DO. Nowhere in any one of my posts did I say Swift was one of them. Beyond that, I never said that I knew ANYTHING about Swift, and even asked for clarification on several issues here.:angryblue:

All I, and most others, ever said was that if the conditions were difficult...which they WERE, the trainer should have been in the seat. That's all. I never implied they ran like a team...never implied I knew how he was running his truck. Never happened. :roll2:

You seem to enjoy pissing people off, for no practical reason. The sad fact is that you are WAY too new at this to pop off like that and have anyone care.

Grow up. Shut up. Do your job safely and QUIT acting like you know EVERYTHING!!!issedoff:
Old 11-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Clueless about the big picture on this terrible situation aren't you ????:roll:
What is the big picture? that people on here want to just slam swift for the sake of slamming them? because 'everyone else is doing it, it just be fun...'?? you claim to blame swift for the trainers 'fault', yet you dont even know how the trainer was operating the truck.

just because the trainer is in the sleeper, dont mean he was running the truck like they were a 'team'. I'll tell you, my trainer was in the sleeper my first week from time to time, and by no means, if you even asked HIM (as bad as he sucked anyways) he wouldn't claim that was team.

again, clueless about the particulars, and so want to spin 'guesses' to make it sound as bad as you can to make the company look like the bad guy.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
What is the big picture? that people on here want to just slam swift for the sake of slamming them? because 'everyone else is doing it, it just be fun...'?? you claim to blame swift for the trainers 'fault', yet you dont even know how the trainer was operating the truck.

just because the trainer is in the sleeper, dont mean he was running the truck like they were a 'team'. I'll tell you, my trainer was in the sleeper my first week from time to time, and by no means, if you even asked HIM (as bad as he sucked anyways) he wouldn't claim that was team.

again, clueless about the particulars, and so want to spin 'guesses' to make it sound as bad as you can to make the company look like the bad guy.
Are you that ignorant ???

Several media reports posted on this topic stated that the worthless trainer was in the sleeper.....

Work on your reading comprehension..... www.rif.org
Old 11-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Are you that ignorant ???

Several media reports posted on this topic stated that the worthless trainer was in the sleeper.....

Work on your reading comprehension...
....sooooo.....that automaticly shows the mentor running the truck "team"? i'll tell you, my first (loser) mentor i had was in the sleeper my first week being on the truck. He wasnt sleeping, he wasnt in the sleeper the entire time i was at the wheel, and we wernt running team, but according to your gorilla-thinking, mentor in sleeper=mentor running team. which isnt the case.

I am not disagreeing the mentor was in the sleeper, i am arguing that just because it was in there, dont automaticly make it 'team driving'.

several media reports huh....did you hear about this on the national news? cause i sure didn't. i had to google washington state TV stations and then find it there.

Last edited by Kevin0915; 11-16-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I wonder if anybody even read the particulars of this accident. Or do you just LOOOOVE Swift bashing? I really could care less. But most of you, all you see is "stupid ignorant SWIFT driver crashes truck". You forget that a human life was lost. Guess what, in case you didnt know, we are all human. Have a little PROFESSIONAL respect. We were all that 'new' once in our careers.

The driver, yes he was in his 4th or 5th week of training, was at the wheel, and yes, the trainer was in the sleeper. Was it the trainer's fault for being in the sleeper that the truck wrecked? No. Could it have been prevented, had the trainer told the newbie driver, "...look, if you get sleepy, pull over..." or, "...drive at whatever speed you feel safe..". Sure. The trainer had over a year experience. The question is, how do you know how the trainer was running the truck? You all assume you 'know', you all want to make it look as bad as it possibly can, just because it was Swift. Fact is you don't know. The mentor might have been comfortable with the drivers ability to control. Had to have some level of comfort if he was in the sleeper. You think if you were in the trainer's position, and you DIDN'T feel 100% comfortable, that you'd trust your life and your truck to some 'stranger'?? come on. grow a pair.

Now i will agree, that there are some mentors, and not just with swift either, who want a student on the truck just to use him as a 2nd log book, or so s/he can get the truck running team as soon as possible. AND THAT IS BAD. Those 42-days are there to TRAIN, not to squeeze as much money out of the student as you can.

can anyone tell me, did the student-driver fall asleep or hydroplane?

I know the option is available, that after 6 months, I can become a trainer. But after 6 months, i would not feel comfortable teaching someone the job that i'm fairly new at myself. But what nobody here will admit, is that not only after 6 months of 1st seat driving, AND no preventable accidents, AND no log violations, your record has to be almost perfect to be offered a training position. Not to mention you have to take time out of your week to take a day long class on being a mentor, and what is expected of you.

Next time you see a 18 wheeler, dont first look for the name on the side of the truck, just remember you BOTH are doing the same job. You BOTH have the same basic license, you BOTH are 'contractors', and you BOTH are professional............act like it.

What made you think nobody read the particulars about this accident?

What makes you think anybody here forgot that a man died?

The entire discourse of this thread has been the death of Mr. Fay, and the fact that his trainer was in the bunk.

Some facts.

Mr. Fay was a "New" driver, with less than 4 weeks of training. That is a fact reported by the Washington State Patrol, and no less than 4 news organizations.

Fact. The trainer was in the bunk. Now....was he awake? Hard to tell that the man was awake and watching....Mr. Fay got deep enough into trouble that he died. HE SHOULD NOT HAVE DIED. A trainer that is awake and paying attention should have brought Mr. Fay's actions under control, and prevented at least the fatality, if not the entire accident.

Another fact. The section of roadway where this accident occured is not bad. In fact, it is a very decent stretch of road, easily handled in bad weather.

Now...I don't give a fart, what the company name on the door is. This type of training is all to common, giving this industry a bad name and a black eye, and is dangerous. How many driver fatalities are the result of poor training practices? How many outside(read as 4-wheeler) fatalities are the result of poor training practices? I can tell you...TO MANY. One is to many.

This accident was easily preventable, had the trainee been adequately trained, or had he been adequately supervised.

As for this trainer being 100% comfortable with a stranger in control of his life......If he was, then he showed poor judgement didn't he?

Did you read the entire thread...or did you just read a few statements and get mad?

Aren't you the same clueless rookie that was on here a few weeks ago complaining about your "SWIFT" trainers? Was not one of them a "cheap Stinky Azz" according to you?
:moon::moon::moon:
Old 11-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
What made you think nobody read the particulars about this accident?

What makes you think anybody here forgot that a man died?

The entire discourse of this thread has been the death of Mr. Fay, and the fact that his trainer was in the bunk.

Some facts.

Mr. Fay was a "New" driver, with less than 4 weeks of training. That is a fact reported by the Washington State Patrol, and no less than 4 news organizations.

Fact. The trainer was in the bunk. Now....was he awake? Hard to tell that the man was awake and watching....Mr. Fay got deep enough into trouble that he died. HE SHOULD NOT HAVE DIED. A trainer that is awake and paying attention should have brought Mr. Fay's actions under control, and prevented at least the fatality, if not the entire accident.

Another fact. The section of roadway where this accident occured is not bad. In fact, it is a very decent stretch of road, easily handled in bad weather.

Now...I don't give a fart, what the company name on the door is. This type of training is all to common, giving this industry a bad name and a black eye, and is dangerous. How many driver fatalities are the result of poor training practices? How many outside(read as 4-wheeler) fatalities are the result of poor training practices? I can tell you...TO MANY. One is to many.

This accident was easily preventable, had the trainee been adequately trained, or had he been adequately supervised.

As for this trainer being 100% comfortable with a stranger in control of his life......If he was, then he showed poor judgement didn't he?

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori...186f1a7d9.html

this is the link i first saw. 3 and a half weeks of training. If you would actually get some insight, and KNOW that swift just dont hire jo blow off the street with just your standard state D.L. Mr. Fay must have attended some schooling somewhere. his ON ROAD trainnig was 3 and a half weeks, but his total time training was a few weeks longer than that.

But my point being, yeah the trainer screwed up, or should not have been that complacent with a newbie. And i am willing to bet that Cheikh Fay, being 49, isnt a naturally born american, and maybe there was a slight problem with understanding and writing english proficiently (as required by FMSCA).

And another point i was making, was it is hardly important WHO he was driving/training for, the fact that most of you on this thread automaticly start bashing the company just becuase it is Swift, and could care less that a fellow driver was killed. and all i was asking was that all fellow drivers understand that we all should be professional, and leave the company bashing aside....but oh no. what is the FIRST POST made in this thread.....not even 2 sentences into it, and the swift-bashing has already begun. THAT is pathetic.

Mistakes were made....fine. Just be lucky he hit a concrete bridge support and not a bus load full of kids....or a minivan with grandma and grandpa. Who's fault was it? mostly it was the DRIVER behind the wheel going too fast for road conditions. Second, it was the fault of the mentor accepting the level of skill the student had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Did you read the entire thread...or did you just read a few statements and get mad?

Aren't you the same clueless rookie that was on here a few weeks ago complaining about your "SWIFT" trainers? Was not one of them a "cheap Stinky Azz" according to you?
i read every post, not just bits and pieces. But there were a few that stood out as just swift-bashing....not really caring about the fact a fellow driver died. (whether you can accept it or not, he is still a fellow driver)

and i am the same DRIVER who, weeks ago was a student driver, complaining about ONE bad trainer. TRAINER.....plural. Now, i know there are more than just that one....every company has more than just one. the last one i had taught me more in half a day than my first one did the entire 2 weeks (actually 8 working days) on the truck. But guess what, never once did i fall asleep at the wheel. Get sleepy? sure, who don't. But my last mentor had enough forethought to tell me, "...look, this truck and the load you're pullin' isnt worth getting into a wreck that can hurt or kill ya. if you need to, pull it over and get out, walk around, or take a nap." Now tell me, how many money hungry trainers, who only care about how many miles their truck can run will tell their student THAT.

BUT, to assume, that you think that is what Mr. Fay's trainer said or did, or you know how he was training him, give me a break. If you know that, you've got a good idea for a new reality show....confessions of a ghost trucker whisperer...or something.

Last edited by Kevin0915; 11-16-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori...186f1a7d9.html

this is the link i first saw. 3 and a half weeks of training. If you would actually get some insight, and KNOW that swift just dont hire jo blow off the street with just your standard state D.L. Mr. Fay must have attended some schooling somewhere. his ON ROAD trainnig was 3 and a half weeks, but his total time training was a few weeks longer than that.

But my point being, yeah the trainer screwed up, or should not have been that complacent with a newbie. And i am willing to bet that Cheikh Fay, being 49, isnt a naturally born american, and maybe there was a slight problem with understanding and writing english proficiently (as required by FMSCA).

And another point i was making, was it is hardly important WHO he was driving/training for, the fact that most of you on this thread automaticly start bashing the company just becuase it is Swift, and could care less that a fellow driver was killed. and all i was asking was that all fellow drivers understand that we all should be professional, and leave the company bashing aside....but oh no. what is the FIRST POST made in this thread.....not even 2 sentences into it, and the swift-bashing has already begun. THAT is pathetic.

Mistakes were made....fine. Just be lucky he hit a concrete bridge support and not a bus load full of kids....or a minivan with grandma and grandpa. Who's fault was it? mostly it was the DRIVER behind the wheel going too fast for road conditions. Second, it was the fault of the mentor accepting the level of skill the student had.

With that particular statement, you are being even worse than Big D, with his attitude about Swift. At least Big D wasn't being racist or biggoted.

Something you should understand. Mr Fay was most likely Philipino. Something else you should understand...the Puget Sound region is home to the largest Philipino population in the United States, with the vast majority of those now living, native born(American Citizens). Philipinos have been imigrating to the United States since the early 1840's. Renton, Kent, Auburn and Tacoma have very large Philipino populations.

I'm betting that Mr. Fay was laid off by Boeing or PACCAR, and took their offered CDL training.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

i am by far a racist or a biggot. Just making a point that it is possible of the language barrier there. Maybe he spoke/used better english than either one of us. Who knows, but take the time to WEEED my post. I didnt say "oh he used broken english, and should never have been allowed into the US". come on....

If he took the offered schooling, great. I mean if anybody gets let go from any job, and he or she wants to endeavour toward a new career, great.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:18 AM
Board Regular

I don't think he is clueless at all, I think he is being open minded. I don't see where he mentioned race at all in his arguments, and true since none of us were in the truck or standing on the side of the road with a video camera, all you guys can make are ASS-umptions. Just like there are dumb-ass Mentors out there, there are also dumb-ass students out there too, who think just because they received their CDL they know how to handle a Commercial Vehicle and drive the vehicle like a four wheeler.

Last edited by boneebone; 11-16-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:39 AM
Board Icon