User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I totally understand about pets being a distraction. However, if having a pet in my truck keeps me from needing to take 'home time' once every 8-9 days, it would be easier for them to just let me have her in the truck. Not to mention, make them and me more money. Now granted i understand how 'distructive' they can be, but my girl is well trained.....oh and so is my dog. ;-)

I would want some experience under my belt long before bringing a dog onto my truck. Need/want to understand the business before bringing something that might be a distraction. No different bringing a dog on the truck than your wife/girlfriend/hubby or b-friend.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
BANNED
Rookie

Many O/O's are glorified company drivers with truck payments.
Look at FedEx Ground getting sued left and right because they misclassified employees as contractors.
Others are a blown steer tire away from cashing it all in
Fuel spikes...surcharges slow to catch up...alot of shippers holding the line.
Used truck lots overflowing with O/O-spec'd rigs.
About the only thing O/O gets you these days is ability to choose loads/lanes and go home when you want.
The money just isn't there when you factor risk/reward of going on your own.
Not like it used to be.
Fastest way to make $1 million?
Invest $2 million in trucking.
Unless you're hauling specialized, OD, etc forget it.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915
I totally understand about pets being a distraction. However, if having a pet in my truck keeps me from needing to take 'home time' once every 8-9 days, it would be easier for them to just let me have her in the truck. Not to mention, make them and me more money. Now granted i understand how 'distructive' they can be, but my girl is well trained.....oh and so is my dog. ;-)

I would want some experience under my belt long before bringing a dog onto my truck. Need/want to understand the business before bringing something that might be a distraction. No different bringing a dog on the truck than your wife/girlfriend/hubby or b-friend.

No matter how clean or well behaved you think your pet is the animal will still leave hair all over the place. I have had 3 drivers who have taken their dogs in my truck without permission. Two out of the three left a lot of hair behind. I am still finding hair left by the last one. Dog hair can get in the air filters of your a/c and clog it. Besides, most people don't want to sleep with a dog or where a dog has been. I would rather get a driver home than have a dog in my trucks. There is no dog that is that clean. I don't see how taking a dog along will make the company or you any more money. It costs money and time to properly clean a truck after a dog has lived in it. Some people are allergic to pet hair or dander. There is also a smell that is left behind no matter how clean the driver attempts to keep it. It is usually not difficult to see whether a dog has been in a truck. Most spouses or significant others clean up after themselves and don't usually pose the risks of having a pet in the truck. Most humans exit a truck before relieving themselves, although I do wonder about some of them. I do understand what you are saying. However a truck is a place of business. I don't know of any other business where some people consider it a right to take their pets to work. If you want to take your dog then you need to consider buying a truck and then take it along. Even if you own the truck some carriers will still restrict pets due to the liability of a dog biting someone.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915
i kinda laugh at those cattle haulers or whoever else wants to blow by me going 75+.

HAHAHA. Okay buddy. I gotta blow your dors off at 75mph (legal speed limit) because I haul for 3-4 bucks a mile...not 90-something cents and have to get places :wink: But, I hear Swift's O/O program is where it's at. I'm thinking of going over there..more miles is more money :lol:
Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Senior Board Member

I disagree Gman... I took my dog to the groomer yesterday and got the super duper doggie package at Petco :lol: Even got her a new collar

But the dog hair issue is 100% dead on. My agent didn't want me to have a dog. One day in Vegas, one of the owners was at the tradeshow and saw her and fell in love with her. If 1 of 3 of the owners likes the dog, it stays Most companies don't operate this way though :wink:
Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Yep, BanditsCousin, there isn't much you can do about the dog hair. Even the short haired dogs shed. Once they get into the carpet it is difficult to get out. One difference in your situation is that you own the truck. There is still the company liability should the dog bite someone. And even if you have them sign a waiver, lawyers are going to follow the money, and that means going after the carrier.