User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 04:28 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I need some help here - also

I was attending the 'MTC' truck driving school, got in 184 hours of instuction, passed all the testing - such as the pre - trip, logs, and yard testing and straight/line backing, got my hard copy CDL permit and was ready to take testing for my actual CDL License - then got kicked out because of something regarding a co-signer for the school's purpose? Now - I still do not have my CDL License. I have Permit - only. What can I do about this, and is there any companies out there that will take you with just a permit??

Please help - Thanks

_D.C. :roll:
Old 09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Have you considered just going ahead and taking the tests for CDL-A?

I'm not sure about MO, but in Indiana you can rent a tractor-trailer for testing purposes. I had a friend rent one last year for around $150.00.

Do you owe the school money? Why would they wait until that far in to the course to give you the boot?

Regarding the permit. To my knowledge, there are no companies that will hire you with a permit only. Perhaps someone will chime in if they are aware of any companies that do so.

Edit............Oooops I see that this is a double post thread. Looks like headborg already addressed the permit issue.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Board Member

What was the "something regarding a cosigner for the schools purpose"? I have no idea what that means but if you explain maybe others might know more about what to do. Belpre does have a good suggestion about renting a truck and going to take the test yourself. I never went to a "driving school" I just borrowed a truck and went and took the test.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Board Regular

Just rent a truck and take the test. In Tennessee there are third party testers who sometimes let students use their trucks for a fee (usually around $300) and will administer the test.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged
Just rent a truck and take the test. In Tennessee there are third party testers who sometimes let students use their trucks for a fee (usually around $300) and will administer the test.

Just exactly what is needed. One fellow whom knows nothing about driving a truck, giving another fellow whom knows nothng about driving a truck advise. :nervous: :nervous:

You can do this(take Charged's advise)....and ignore the fact that numerous trucking companies as well as their insurance companies, are going to require that you have not only a valid CDL...which you can get in the manner described by Charged.....those companies are going to reguire that you have attended a certified school..regardless of possession of a valid CDl..or have some real world experience.

Or...you can do what Charged advises and then go out and buy yourself a truck...just like his Dad supposedly did...and like Steve Boothe, a member right here on CAD has done...and start your own trucking company.

With the financial industry about to suffer total collapse, I am sure your going to find a willing finance company out there.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:

Just exactly what is needed. One fellow whom knows nothing about driving a truck, giving another fellow whom knows nothng about driving a truck advise. :nervous: :nervous:

You can do this(take Charged's advise)....and ignore the fact that numerous trucking companies as well as their insurance companies, are going to require that you have not only a valid CDL...which you can get in the manner described by Charged.....those companies are going to reguire that you have attended a certified school..regardless of possession of a valid CDl..or have some real world experience.

Or...you can do what Charged advises and then go out and buy yourself a truck...just like his Dad supposedly did...and like Steve Boothe, a member right here on CAD has done...and start your own trucking company.

With the financial industry about to suffer total collapse, I am sure your going to find a willing finance company out there.
I didn't suggest he buy a truck. I did however answer his question.

I've posted pics of my dads truck and many loaded pictures when both him and I went out driving for a week. There is nothing "supposedly" about it.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Rookie
Default I am adding in to the question asked earlier:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:

I didn't suggest he buy a truck. I did however answer his question.

I've posted pics of my dads truck and many loaded pictures when both him and I went out driving for a week. There is nothing "supposedly" about it.

The 'co-signer' technicallities for the school were as follows: For 'MTC' - your recruiter tells you before hand that you have to have a co-signer. This is just insurance that you will pay back your loan to the school when you are done. However, the office actually told me on Thursday this week; that I had to come up with a co-signer that had an actual job. They could not be on benefits or Social/Security- plus they had to have good credit history. This is not what my recruiter told me, at all.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It seems odd that they would wait until you are almost through with your training before they told you about needing a co-signer.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:35 PM

Yes, that is odd that they would wait. But as stated before. You can rent a truck and trailer and take the test. Just make sure that when you go to the DMV that someone else is driving the truck with a CDL. LOL :wink:
Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Default Re: I need some help here - also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejster111
I was attending the 'MTC' truck driving school, got in 184 hours of instuction, passed all the testing - such as the pre - trip, logs, and yard testing and straight/line backing, got my hard copy CDL permit and was ready to take testing for my actual CDL License - then got kicked out because of something regarding a co-signer for the school's purpose?
Pardon my French but these douchebags allow you to complete their school then they spring this on you? Sounds like a total poop-hole of a school. Normal schools line that stuff up before you start training. So let me guess...they're going to hold your diploma back from you until you come up with a co-signer? Sounds stupid. If this were a problem they would have run your credit history before accepting you and told you that you needed one if your credit was less than what they deemed sufficient - before the fact!

Well without that diploma you have no proof you went to the school. They got you.

I know it's hard to know what questions to ask beforehand if you're new but "buyer beware" applies here.

If your credit is *not* shot and if your state has some kind of education/training regulatory board you might want to call them and see if you're school is doing something unethical.