User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New to the job....

I will tell you where I came from. I was unemployed at the end of April. I wanted something that gave me the freedom from kiss-butts, and working jobs that put me 'in the front of the house'. I wanted a job where I could somewhat be my own boss...and not have to deal with the paying public. Somehow i got on a truck driving kick. My father did it for 30+ years, just following in his footsteps. Never thought in my wildest dreams i'd ever be a OTR driver. Now came the hard part.....trying to find a company to train me. I applied at several, but the only one who made an effort to recruit me, was (i know i know....some of you wont want to hear this) Swift Transportation. I went started their school in Idaho mid-august. 3rd hardest state to get a Class A CDL.

anyways, Orientation was fine, but took me 4-5 days to get onto a mentor's truck. AND THEN the one I got is a total retard....but i just want to get my 42 days of training done, and then i get my own truck.

NOW here comes my questions.......

1) what companies out there will allow you to have a pet in the truck as a company driver? Swift will let you, but you have to be an O/O.

which brings me to #2) How much more/less money can a driver make being an O/O when compared to a Co. driver??

I've tried asking my mentor (who is an O/O) about how it works, but he doesnt really want to tell me. Either he is making a KILLING, being a trainer and an O/O and dont want to tell me how well he is doing....or he don't want to tell me how much his paychecks SUCK.

Just curious.

I love driving. And before it even starts, i dont really care WHO i am driving for, as long as i am making a paycheck. Not to mention it all has to do with your additude and the reputation you get with your DM. if i bust my butt, and take loads, and get the jobs done, who do you think will get the 600-900 mile runs when they get them to dispatch?? someone who they KNOW will make an OT delivery, or someone who complains all the time.

anyways.....just looking for some GOOD information.

see ya on the road...
Old 09-28-2008, 02:36 AM

Being an Owner Op can net you a whole lot of money, but you can lose a whole lot of money just the same.

There is a lot involved with being an O/O, I know that much. As to what the specifics are, I do not know that. Generally, anyone new to the business SHOULD NOT become an O/O right off the bat. That's like taking a recruit on his first day of boot camp and throwing him in with the Spec. Ops. guys.....it ain't gonna be pretty.

My recommendation - Stay with Swift.

Yeah, you might get some grief about it, but Swift honestly isn't that bad as far as starter companies go, especially considering the fact that they did put you through training on their dime (as long as you fulfill your half of the contractual obligation).

Take a year or so with Swift, or any other company of your choice, then re-evaluate your thoughts on becoming an O/O after you have a much clearer picture of how things work.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Before you jump into the O/O scene, look at the used truck lots across the country. One of the things I see now, that I never saw before, are signs advertising that you do not have to have good credit to buy a truck now. "REPO - OK". Never saw that before. They're doing that to unload their inventory because more and more O/O are either loosing their trucks, or getting out from under them. It's to the point that the Fed is talking about special low-interest loans for truck owners to help overcome the damage from the high fuel costs.

You're trainer most likely went with a lease/purchase plan. Now, he's finding out he's "MARRIED" to the truck in order to make ends meet.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Default Re: New to the job....

double
Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Default Re: New to the job....

Kevin 0915 NOW here comes my questions.......

1) what companies out there will allow you to have a pet in the truck as a company driver? Swift will let you, but you have to be an O/O. :roll:

So if you spend $150,000 they will allow you to bring a pet in your truck?

which brings me to #2) How much more/less money can a driver make being an O/O when compared to a Co. driver??

I've tried asking my mentor (who is an O/O) about how it works, but he doesnt really want to tell me. Either he is making a KILLING, being a trainer and an O/O and dont want to tell me how well he is doing....or he don't want to tell me how much his paychecks SUCK.

Most company would rather have 100 % O/O,so that should tell you something. Your income will be determined on the availability of new drivers to replace you, maybe that's why he is keeping it to himself. Right now trucking is in a purging cycle.
Creating new pay packages,slowing trucks down, anything they can think of to get rid higher paid drivers and grab some desperate newly laid off factory worker that's getting fully paid goverment training allowance.

Just curious.

I love driving. And before it even starts, i dont really care WHO i am driving for, as long as i am making a paycheck. Not to mention it all has to do with your additude and the reputation you get with your DM. if i bust my butt, and take loads, and get the jobs done, who do you think will get the 600-900 mile runs when they get them to dispatch??
someone who they KNOW will make an OT delivery, or someone who complains all the time.

Most driver are on time, I think the deciding factor who can get it there the cheapest.

anyways.....just looking for some GOOD information.

see ya on the road...
Old 09-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajritter04
Being an Owner Op can net you a whole lot of money, but you can lose a whole lot of money just the same.

There is a lot involved with being an O/O, I know that much. As to what the specifics are, I do not know that. Generally, anyone new to the business SHOULD NOT become an O/O right off the bat. That's like taking a recruit on his first day of boot camp and throwing him in with the Spec. Ops. guys.....it ain't gonna be pretty.

My recommendation - Stay with Swift.

Yeah, you might get some grief about it, but Swift honestly isn't that bad as far as starter companies go, especially considering the fact that they did put you through training on their dime (as long as you fulfill your half of the contractual obligation).

Take a year or so with Swift, or any other company of your choice, then re-evaluate your thoughts on becoming an O/O after you have a much clearer picture of how things work.

EXACTLY my plan. Their contract really is, stay a year, you dont owe a thing for the school. Stay for a 2nd year, and the school is free. You pay them however much to cover $1950 for the school, then the following year, they repay YOU. Besides, having 2 yrs experience is better than just having one.

I dont plan to jump right into an O/O. I want to get an idea for the basics of the job. Would kinda like being a manager of a fancy restaurant. I know how to eat, and wear a fancy suit....that is about it. =)

I've read so much crap about Swift...how their equipment sucks, how they are a mill, yada, yada, yada. Swift still can get the freight. They are buying new equipment, and getting rid of the Volvos. You wont see a Swift Volvo that is older than 4 years old on the road here shortly. Yeah, their pay is crap, etc., and their trucks are being turned to run no faster than 65 (my mentor can run faster, but shhhhhh.) When you can save $18k a year in fuel just by running slower, i kinda laugh at those cattle haulers or whoever else wants to blow by me going 75+.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Kevin0915 wrote:

I've read so much crap about Swift...how their equipment sucks, how they are a mill, yada, yada, yada. Swift still can get the freight. They are buying new equipment, and getting rid of the Volvos. You wont see a Swift Volvo that is older than 4 years old on the road here shortly. Yeah, their pay is crap, etc., and their trucks are being turned to run no faster than 65 (my mentor can run faster, but shhhhhh.) When you can save $18k a year in fuel just by running slower, i kinda laugh at those cattle haulers or whoever else wants to blow by me going 75+.
What? you are saying good things about Swift? You MUST be a "company plant". Just kidding.. I am making a reference to a comment on a thread I started.

Sorry that you are having learning issues with your Mentor/trainer. Mine can back up like there is no tomorrow. He looks for tight spots in crowded places to show off. I only hope I can pick up some of it! You can ask to have a new trainer. Swift wants you to succeed and to know if the mentor/trainer is sub-par. It will not "go against you".

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, Kevin. You'll do great!
Old 09-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Most company would rather have 100 % O/O,so that should tell you something. Your income will be determined on the availability of new drivers to replace you, maybe that's why he is keeping it to himself. Right now trucking is in a purging cycle. Creating new pay packages,slowing trucks down, anything they can think of to get rid higher paid drivers and grab some desperate newly laid off factory worker that's getting fully paid goverment training allowance.

Most driver are on time, I think the deciding factor who can get it there the cheapest.
This has to go on my top 100 list of most ignorant posts I've read.
One day I need to write a book about my experiences here at CAD. I'm not sure yet if it will be a comedy or a tragedy. :?
Old 09-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Most company would rather have 100 % O/O,so that should tell you something. Your income will be determined on the availability of new drivers to replace you, maybe that's why he is keeping it to himself. Right now trucking is in a purging cycle. Creating new pay packages,slowing trucks down, anything they can think of to get rid higher paid drivers and grab some desperate newly laid off factory worker that's getting fully paid goverment training allowance.

This has to go on my top 100 list of most ignorant posts I've read.
One day I need to write a book about my experiences here at CAD. I'm not sure yet if it will be a comedy or a tragedy. :?

Truth hurts!!! BTW tell me were I am wrong, I love a good debate.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some owner operators make more than company drivers, others do not. It depends on the rate for which you haul and how well you run your business. I know that may sound vague, but unless you are a good manager you could wind up making less than if you stayed a company driver. There is nothing wrong with being a company driver. Most people who enter this business have a dream of owning their own truck. Few truly understand what that entails. I have had several former owner operators who have come to work for me driving my trucks. Most all have told me that they made more driving my truck than they did with their own. Most businesses fail within the first year. Trucking is no exception. Don't confuse leasing a truck from a carrier the same as buying one.

There are some carriers who will allow drivers to have a pet in their trucks. I don't think it is a good idea. Pets can be a distraction in a truck and can damage company property. Some shippers will not allow pets on their property. Frankly, if you need a pet in the truck perhaps you should consider another profession. A truck is your workplace. The workplace is no place for a pet. It is also your bedroom. If you have a pet in the truck and leave, the next driver may be allergic. Cleaning the truck can be expensive.