User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Not familiar with Werner's setup, but the e-log setup in my Qualcomm at FCC seems way simpler than the one described here for Werner. No macros and other stuff. Just select one of 5 status options on the screen and, if necessary, select a prewritten task option. I never select DRIVING since the system will kick to that anyway after 1.25 miles or above 25 mph. For those large run around the big distribution center type situations, I just select OFF DUTY DRIVING to keep the system from kicking to driving status. And I decide the length of time that on duty will have for fueling, pre-trip, loading/unloading, etc.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM

Here is part 1 of a 6 part series someone made on youtube, although he works for Swift but I would think it would be similar to any company with e-logs. Each video is about 9 minutes long, it really helped me to get a good idea of what I will be doing once I get in a truck. The first video is kinda boring but he really starts to get into it in the 2nd video:

The Paper & Macro work Behind Trucking Vol. 1 - YouTube
Old 09-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10 View Post
One of the requirements during the "testing" phase of the logs, was that the driver must have total control of the logging system. In other words the driver accomplishes all duty status changes with the exception of the VI and fueling. VI is automatically accomplished when the driver completes a 10hr break, either split or full when the driver changes duty status to either line 3 or 4. The logs will "backup" 15min and insert the VI. If the driver inputs a duty status to on duty (line 3 or 4) at 0700, the logs will begin at 0645 as a line 4 VI.
What is a VI?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
What is a VI?
Vehicle Inspection
Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I drove for Werner for 9 years. I was a driver trainer for them for several years. Don't let the people that hate paperless logs scare you. They are really not that bad. It is quite nice actually. Where most new people run into problems with the logs is not planning their trips out right and allowing themselves the extra time in case of a breakdown or something like that. If you do a proper trip plan, you will never find yourself out of hrs at a shipper or receiver. Werner is very good at planning the loads around your HOS. If you see a problem BEFORE you take off with the load, let you DM know and they can usually get it fixed.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree with fireman. E-logs are not the bogey man that some claim. A lot of the other O/O jumped ship when my carrier started going to them. I figured I would stick around and at least give it a try. Well, the unit got put in last December and I am still here. Must not be that bad of a thing to use. I can only remember a couple of times that it hindered me in any way. If you plan out things properly, not waste time playing with Mary Jo Rottencrotch at the truck stop, you should be fine. I generally try and get into my shippers/receivers early enough that I can get a break there and after they get me loaded/unloaded, I will have a fresh 11 to run. But then, I concentrate my runs in the Upper Midwest, so that is doable most of the time. 48 state would require a little more thought. Fireman has it pegged about right.... most carriers that have gone to E-logs generally plan their freight a little better so that things match up most of the time. And he makes a good point.... communication is key!!! Keep your travel agent informed if there is or will be a problem. Don't wait till the last minute to let them know you can't be there. That is a sure way to get them upset at you.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Also, Werner is now updating the Qualcomm units in the trucks to the MCP200 (the touch-screen, graphical unit). My truck came with one in it, but the rest of the fleet at South Boston is being converted. All of the Werner trucks there should have them within a week or two. I don't know how soon the rest of the company will get changed over. However, the logs still work the same on these beasts.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Senior Board Member

why would you not know WAY before this when your time was going to be up? you have the same amount of work time whether or not you are electronic logs. you should know as soon as you start when you have to shut down and plan accordingly
Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
why would you not know WAY before this when your time was going to be up? you have the same amount of work time whether or not you are electronic logs. you should know as soon as you start when you have to shut down and plan accordingly
You hit the nail on the head, hoss. I'll admit to running down to the wire on my 14, but it still doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict how far that truck will get in that time period (even with 4 or 5 stops, fuel, traffic, and even a vendor pickup thrown in for good measure).