User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

At the risk of side tracking the thread, let's just lay the alcohol to rest.

Alcohol in a CMV is illegal. Just because the CMV is not moving, does not change or alter this. Whatever is not covered by the FMCSA is usually a part of most companies rules and regulations concerning alcohol.

I'm sure that there are many who do not like this. They should not be in trucking in my opinion. The use of alcohol, and CMV operation/responsibility are simply not compatible. If you are laid over, you still are responsible for that CMV. My 4 years of observation regarding this subject on CAD leads me to hold to one non-negotiable thought about the whole situation:

If alcohol plays such a significant role in your life, such that you must have it to relax, have fun, kill time etc. You are in the wrong industry. Sure, I have my beer drinking moments, but only at home, only occasionally on my 2-3 days off. I would never, ever consider bringing alcohol in to a CMV under any circumstances. Yes! We both know that it goes on. With cameras? Maybe not.

As ct77 remarked to the effect that you could be caught talking on the phone, reading, eating etc. Exactly! We are not supposed to be doing these things while driving.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR9501
Odd reason i feel the only time alcohol consumption should be ok is if he's sitting a pilot doing jack $hit, bored out of his mind on a 34hr restart, and in the sleeper with the keys out of the ignition of course....haahaa
he's not going anywhere anyway, so why cant he chill out with a cold one...and if he's in the sleeper he's not hurting no one cause he has plenty of time to get it out of his system b4 he hits the road again.
But how does he know that the company might not have a hot load that HAS TO GO right after he finished that 12 pack. Dispatcher says, "forget the 34 hour reset, you still have X hours to run this load. We'll reset you after you run this load NOW.

????????????????

Old 09-16-2008, 10:33 PM

ok in part yes i do agree with you, and i will admit that i have Never done this....
Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Odd reason i feel the only time alcohol consumption should be ok is if he's sitting a pilot doing jack $hit, bored out of his mind on a 34hr restart, and in the sleeper with the keys out of the ignition of course....haahaa
he's not going anywhere anyway, so why cant he chill out with a cold one...and if he's in the sleeper he's not hurting no one cause he has plenty of time to get it out of his system b4 he hits the road again.
But how does he know that the company might not have a hot load that HAS TO GO right after he finished that 12 pack. Dispatcher says, "forget the 34 hour reset, you still have X hours to run this load. We'll reset you after you run this load NOW.

????????????????
a 34 hr restart is done for a reason, personaly if it were me, my first response to my dispatcher would be that im on a restart and have already logged it in my log book, i'm stuck here till the end of my restart...sorry i can not move. i'm out of hrs, you'll have to find another driver willing to take that load.......any rebuttles?..lol
Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
. i'm out of hrs, you'll have to find another driver willing to take that load.......any rebuttles?..lol
Many restarts are not done because a driver is out of hours. Slow freight may put one in a advantageous position to reset his hours. If the company calls up and has a load that you CAN legally complete on the hours that you do have remaining, you would be obligated to complete that run. Unless, of course, you had been drinking................

Quote:
a 34 hr restart is done for a reason, personaly if it were me, my first response to my dispatcher would be that im on a restart and have already logged it in my log book, i'm stuck here till the end of my restart...sorry i can not move
Restarts are done for many reasons. If I understand the regulations, when you begin a 34 hour restart, you should be logged on to line 1 or 2 at the start of the reset as this would be your last change of duty status. Unless you are out of hours, why does this automatically indicate that you are on a 34 hour reset? That's because it doesn't RR. Think about it. I'm trying to help you here.

In other words, your logging in to the future. You can't do that RR.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Gar, can I call Gar? :lol: Anyway Gar say for example the driver is on home time and logged it as off duty two days off would that count as a 34 hour restart?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Yes it would Larry, as long as these "2" days that you speak of equal out to 34 continuous hours off duty.

Now! Out with your hidden agenda! :lol:

Old 09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Yes it would Larry, as long as these "2" days that you speak of equal out to 34 continuous hours off duty.

Now! Out with your hidden agenda! :lol:
What hidden agenda? :? I don't have one and check your pm's by the way.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
What hidden agenda? :? I don't have one and check your pm's by the way.
Didn't mean anything untowards Larry. I just thought maybe you were building up to something. :wink:

Will do on PMs.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:15 PM

im rather confused, if your talking about restarts, why would u be logging line 3 or 4, a restart is considered line 1....i can also count on 1hand how many times i've had to do a restart just because of slow freight....but as i said, once i stop for a restart i usally log it shortly after.